passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Etrian Odyssey

Centy

It's a first person RPG similar to Deep Labyrinth and is also published by Atlus its not long out in the states.

Have played about an hour of this game so far and its pretty fun. You basically start by creating various characters with different classes and you then buy weapons. You go to taverns to get quests into the labyrinth and get into random battles and complete quests the standard RPG fare.

The biggest difference of this game is that you have to fill in the map of the area on the bottom screen sounds boring but really you just explore as much as you can and fill in the map after as i found it slowed the game down doing it as your moving around.

Its quite fun and looks like it could last quite a while if your willing to put in the time and is another of those nice slow games the DS is perfect for.

Official Site

etrian-odyssey--20070502032021839.jpg

etrian-odyssey--20070502032022558.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of fp-rpg's but I'll keep my eye on this, if i see it when I've got some spare cash I might pick it up. How hard is it to start off? Every fp-rpg I've played seems to be insanely hard at the start, meaning you have to retreat and heal a few times

Well its exactly that i had to go back and heal a few times basically im juts level grinding right now which should give me a boost heading into the next part. I have my 5 characters all at level 5 with some tasty weapons but so far im enjoying it enough and its only 14.99 on Movietyme

Im currently not liking the lack of touch screen control due to the map but thats just a minor thing that Deep Labyrinth has over this but ofcourse this game has a decent framerate.

Official site: http://www.atlus.com/etrian/

Nice comic from Atlus here, http://www.atlus.com/etrian/img/comic0.gif

arstechnica review, and a quote from it:

Etrian Odyssey separates itself from dungeon-crawling pack with some interesting game play mechanics and a huge amount of freedom. The learning curve is steep, but the end result is rewarding and long-lasting, especially for players who really dig complexity and challenge. However, that same complexity may alienate some of the less hardcore amongst us. If old-school dungeon crawlers are your thing, though, then you won't find any better title on the DS.

Well as i was crying my eyes out to Stu in the shoutbox last night because a woman decided to interfere and save over my 6 hours of gaming :( so i stayed up late into the night and on my second game ive got to where i was in a fraction of the time and with much more cash.

Basically i would say that review is right this is very much a game for the hardcore it doesnt help you out at all but its bloody addictive and im already reaping the rewards of my hard work and im only on the second level of the labyrinth.

I havnt played a first person RPG for a little while, i really enjoyed the last one I played. Unfortunately i think im overdosed on time demanding games, nearly finished pokemon diamond, had to just stop playing puzzlequest, I had absoultely no enthusiasm for Final Fantasy 3 which was a shame because this time last year I was incredibly excited about the release but ive got a dose of post AC syndrome. I need a nice silly non time consuming game, its a shame because any other time id be really interested in the style of this game, and the fact that its portable, but right now finishing all my leftover RPGs is feeling like a chore.

My word! I've been playing this for over an hour now and absolutely loving it.

You start off with a good set of options. Everything is nice and customisable. You pick your crew (Reccomendation of 5) from a list of RPG stalwarts, give them a name and a selected avatar and you're away. From what I remember of my team, I have a Warrior, Protector, Darkhunter, Medic and Elementalist (Under a different name). It's slowly starting to click into place as it's very similar to an old PC game I used to play called Mordor (I think it was shareware).

It looks a hell of a lot better than I thought it would, it's nice and smooth and the enemy characters, though lacking personality, have a nice professional sheen. I'm going to be playing this one for a while!

Not sure about this whole "draw the map" thing though. Do I have to get it PERFECT before the soldier lets me through Centy? I'm not sure when I'm supposed to be using the provided icons. Also, any tips on making money other than grind, sell, grind?

Grinding is the only thing ive come arcoss so far but it doesnt make you alot since you have to go back to town and pay the stupid prices at the inn to get your TP and HP back.

As for the map mine was missing a couple of things and had no markers but he let me through so more or less just the basic outline is enough great thing is even if you die you can still save what youve drawn of the map.

Yeah, I spotted that after trying to take on the first big monster. I've swapped my Protector for a Survivalist. She's much better. My Darkhunter can do some terrific status damage too, usually wiping out enemies with a poison whip without the poison even taking hold!

Yep ive noticed that with my Darkhunter aswell and for fighting those big bastard crab things the Elementalists fire attack cant be beaten but they are very weak so i have only 1 who stands at the back of the party with the medic. I've noticed that i had a guy with a bow the first time round and he was ok but no substitute for the whip or the sword maybe having one for later on might work out but im concentrating all my efforts into my Medic right now as no doubt he'll come in very handy the further from the town i get.

I cant help but love this game and, as im sure sly will agree, can recommend anyone who loves a good exploration/dungeon crawler as this is probably the best on the DS as so far its been more fun than FF3 (RPG really but this is still better) and Deep Labyrinth. Someone tell Oli about this next time he's on he's been looking for a game like this.

I never thought of using more than one of a kind for my characters, I suppose in theory you could have 5 Warriors all banging for glory. It's a hard choice to make, it really is, because once you get going, there's not really any going back is there? (I've noticed there are two unlockable character types though).

I've been ploughing through the second level of the dungeon (How can there be levels in a forest?). I've been avoiding the big baddies like crazy (They show up on your map and follow, I believe, a pre-determined route) as they wiped me last time, and also plugging all I can into my healing fella: Tony.

I don't know why I called him that.

lol yeah i stopped playing earlier due to that crazed deer pwning me and tomorrow i plan to blast through the second level and see what awaits beyond cos lets face it there must be more towns.

Im still gradually grinding enough to get a little further still have to finish the 2nd level well i need to be a bit better to kill those FOEs but ive seen the first room of the 3rd level and am trying to finish the quest to find 10 enemies just to get some cash for some nice new weapons for me 2 front line Landsknechts my Darkhunter is kicking some arse right now been plowing all my efforts into raising her whip skill.

Im going to make a second party all with the chop ability so i can raid those 2 chop points on the 1st level on a daily basis rake in some cash seeing as i have only 1 person with that ability in my crew right now and dont want to dedicate any more skill points to it right now but its useful to have in the later dungeons i would imagine.

How are you getting on Sly since your the only other one that has this game?

STATS TIME!

Characters

Centy - Landsknecht lvl 8

HP-58 TP-17 ATK-22 DEF-21 Skills-Cleaver

Gatsu - Landsknecht lvl 8

HP-63 TP-17 ATK-25 DEF-21 Skills- Cleaver lvl2

Caska - Darkhunter lvl 8

HP-58 TP-24 ATK-24 DEF-16 Skills - Viper lvl 2, Take

Jedeau - Alchemist lvl 9

HP-43 TP-44 ATK-13 DEF-16 Skills - Fireskill lvl5, Fire lvl2, Inferno, Poison, Chop

Griffisu - Medic lvl 9

HP-53 TP-37 ATK-15 DEF-18 Skills - Healer lvl3, Patch-up lvl3, Cure lvl2

It may be blatently obvious to some why i like this game now look at all them stats :D

Well I managed to wipe the second zone, but watch out because those big guys eventually come back. If you have an Elementalist, use his poison ability, does some great continuous damage.

Currently getting pwned in the first room on the 3rd level. There's a big bug monster with cunty powers that keeps wiping the party.

In order to complete that monster quest you're on, you need to drop down into the 3rd level and wander, avoiding the big dude, until you get a random encounter. That's where you'll get the 10th bad guy for your list.

I've actually created a completely seperate character now called Gatherer, who I use mainly for... Gathering. I thought that, seeing as it was free to create characters, I might as well just use the guy for chopping (Because the money issue really is a pain in the ass). I'm going to try and break the big dude at level 3 today (Though there is more than one, I spotted others while avoiding the big lad.

Sly - Landsknecht (Warrior)

Stats

Level 11

HP 82

TP 21

ATK 30

DEF 28

STR 19

VIT 21

AGI14

LUC 19

TEC 13

Skills

Hp Up 1

Atk Up 2

Def up 2

Axes 5

Crush 1

Stunner 2

Equip

Bone Axe, Plate, Targe and Knit Glove.

Milo - Dark Hunter

Stats

Level 10

HP 71

TP 28

ATK 26

DEF 20

STR 16

VIT 15

AGI 18

LUC 14

TEC 18

Skills

Hp up 2

ATK up 2

Whips 5

Swords 1

Viper 1

Cuffs 1

Equip

Fang Whip, Doublet, Hairpin and Targe.

Catt - Survivalist

Stats

Level 10

ATK 25

Def 18

Str 16

Vit 14

AGI 23

Luc 20

Tec 16

Skills

Hp Up 2

Agi Up 2

Bows 3

Quicken 1

Trueshot 1

Chop 2

Mine 1

Equip

Enamel Bow, Buffcoat, Hairpin and Leaf Boot.

Tony - Medic

Stats

Level 10

ATK 17

DEF 18

STR 12

VIT 13

AGI 12

LUC 20

TEC 18

Skills

Hp Up 1

TP Up 1

Healer 5

Patch Up 1

Cure 1

Refresh 1

Chop 2

Equip

Bone Staff, Doublet, Red Charm and Knit Glove.

Moomin - Alchemist

Stats

Level 10

ATK 26

DEF 17

STR 11

VIT 12

AGI 13

LUC 16

TEC 20

Skills

Tp Up 1

Fire Up 1

Ice Up 2

Volt Up 1

Toxins 1

Fire 1

Ice 1

Volt 1

Poison 2

Chop 1

Equip

Bone Mace, Doublet, Leaf Boot and Hairpin.

Wow, that took some writing.

To be honest, I'm not sure whether or not just to start a new team or something, as I've made a few mistakes on the skill-point front and wouldn't mind trying things a different way. It's good, because I can keep this lot aside and create a new band of adventurers, even keeping a couple of the old ones in there for protection.

Well, as with all games of this ilk, I'm much enjoying a fresh start due to the fact that I've now got a more focused image of where and want to be and when. No points being spent willy-nilly here, I've only got to level 3 for all my new guys and already I feel like they're going to be much more powerful.

I nicked your idea of having two warriors up front, as I think they'll do better than my Survivalist. I have one focused on Axes and the other on Swordplay, bolstered by a Dark Hunter, and followed up by a Medic and Alchemist as before. Glad I've started all over to be honest! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Right i guess i'll update here due to only me and Sly playing this ive been discussing it on another board but im still playing through and have reached the second stratum down as far as level 7 now and have a party all in the high 20s with 1 member being traded in and out depending on the situation.

I have my core 4 members who are levelling up nicely my Alchemist who is invaluable till he runs out of mana then he becomes a slow liability, my medic who is invalueable aswell and he's learning how to fight so even when the mana is dry he'll be able to do some damage. My Dark hunter and her orgasmtasic special attacks is great she can bind head arms and legs and use an attack called ecstasy which really slays the enemy. My Landsknecht who's solid attack is the brute force of my party.

Seriously someone else must get this game its just so excellent and if you miss out on it you'll kick yourself later.