MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

DANGERMAN

One step forward...

Chapter 4 & 5 AKA SIGH

The CPR scene - bad

The Junon Parade - good

The "boss" fight - bad

The boat - bad, bloated and unnecessary. The passengers, Queens Blood tournament and fiend attack (I really hate that title for some reason). All worthless padding that completely botches the tone of the original scene. Salvaged (a little) by the interesting design of that boss fight. I'm being sporadic with the game as I have health stuff going on right now. But scenes like this are making me think the devs of these games don't know what made key moments in the original work? 

Dio is incredible! Gus & Garth are brilliant too. I especially love Garth shouting shit in background and being a hype man. 

I’m still mega disappointed in this but I have started enjoying it more now I’m mostly ignoring the open world shit. I do feel it’s hampering my level for doing the side missions though. I still can only play in short bursts too due to the performance issues. The latest patch didn’t really do anything. Still get bad headaches if I play for a couple of hours. 30 still stutters more than most other games I’ve played and 60 still feels like my eyes are unfocused all the time. Thing is in normal gameplay I don’t think it even looks that good to warrant these issues either. 

I'm kinda bummed ppl aren't in the same boat as me with this game. I really wonder if the litmus test to enjoying Rebirth is how you feel on Queen's Blood.

None of the stuff Och says is inaccurate wrt padding and adaptations (except the chapter 5 boss was amazing, that bit I don't get at all), but there's such an embarrassment of JRPG riches elsewhere that I don't struggle to forgive that stuff. 

I'm watching the skillup video I linked (has spoilers) and it's very much mirroring how I feel about it.

I actually had the same problem as mfnick with the performance mode in this game (and I do wear glasses, recent prescription), it genuinely does look like the whole game is out of focus. It's very weird and hard to explain even via a youtube video cause youtube reduces detail anyway. But in this game it's like you can tell there's detail there, but you can't quite make it out and bring it into focus, causing constant strain. It's like looking through a sort of filmy mist

I had headaches behind my eyes at some points, gone completely now that I'm playing Dragon's Dogma and Guilty Gear. It's just the way this game looks for some reason. Remake didn't have this issue at all.

28 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

@mfnick I mean this seriously but have you considered you may actually need an eye test because I don't think that kind of physical reaction is normal.  Some glasses may be needed.

Already have glasses - recently had my eyes checked too. All good.

I don’t have this with any other game either. It’s just this one. Even others which are locked to 30 I manage to get to a playable state with Trumotion but it just doesn’t work on this game. I play every other game in performance when available too and never had that unfocused feeling I get with this.

OLED definitely exasperates these issues though. And mine is an old model (2018 I think - B8) so may be even worse for motion than most. I’ve actually googled it too and I’m definitely not the only one with these issues in this particular game. & Dwarf has had a similar experience. Performance has obviously come up a lot with Square too otherwise that patch wouldn’t have come out so quickly.

I getting headaches and watering eyes from FPS games. But no such issue with Rebirth. I haven't touched any of the settings either.

I reckon it's all these dodgy oleds causing the issues... you guys should've bought decent tv's to begin with.

Spoiler

😂🥰

Holy shit!! Fuck this fucking Cait Sith box throwing section!!! 1 part in particular - you’ll know if you’ve done it.

Fucking hell, genuinely the most frustrating part I’ve played. No boss or enemy has messed me up like this bit. Genuinely had to turn it off in frustration. Piece of shit game. 

Absolutely hated that section. It drags on for far, far too long. The controls are absolutely terrible. Several times i chucked the box at the switch, only for nothing to happen. And then it goes “Hey, you know how we can make this even worse? Make them have to throw boxes onto a moving platform”. 

Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth ranks way above this in my book, because it doesn’t have any annoying stuff like that to contend with.

Chapter 12 was a lot of fun.

Spoiler

Always enjoy the Turk fights.

Almost made up for that fuck awful Cait Sith wank. Somehow ended up on a

Spoiler

date with my dog though. Especially weird now he’s got an annoying voice of a 10 year old. Hi other voice is infinitely better BTW. Hate how they changed it.

God know how that happened when I was doing everything for Tifa. Ah well. 

Chapter 13 started off good but is really starting to drag. 

On 29/03/2024 at 14:54, one-armed dwarf said:

(except the chapter 5 boss was amazing, that bit I don't get at all),

I was referring to Roche, not Jenova.

So 70 hours later, it’s done. Basically my thoughts are the same as they were last time. I love all the characters, I love exploring the towns and villages, the combat is incredible and still easily the best in all of the action RPG genre, I loved all the story beats and little side stories, I even loved all the little mini games which everyone else seems to have a problem with. 

Problem is, the downsides really fucked it for me. Every time something exciting or important was happening the pacing would grind to a standstill to explore a shitty, bland open world wasteland with the same handful of open world filler missions in each area. Which only gets worse as things go on and it gets more tedious along with th fact getting around the later maps is a fucking nightmare! Gongaga is particularly terrible which is a shame as it’s probably the best looking one. 

The next is performance but that’s more of a me issue and I’ve been through it so don’t need to repeat. It was genuinely a big issue personally though. 

Lastly that ending. While it was interesting I think they fumbled the ball completely. It was so damn confusing!

Spoiler

I’ve since looked Googled it and it makes a bit more sense but still spent the last hour or so just thinking what the fuck is happening with no real payoff. They fucked Aeriths death up too. I knew they’d back out which I’m just really disappointed in. We all knew it was coming sure but it could have still carried some real emotional weight. Instead the overriding emotion was confusion and while she’s technically dead she’s not really. No doubt she’ll pop up all the time next time like Sephiroth does even though he’s technically dead too or we’ll end up with another dimensions version joining us. Just, so incredibly disappointing they wussed out of doing it. 

I also hate Red XIII’s change of voice and the end game stuff give you the option to auto pick up materials. Why the fuck didn’t it let me have that option before? Small niggles though just wanted to mention them.

Still a great game but overriding sense of disappointment and normal modern game AAA open world bloat ruins it. 

7/10

Finally someone is talking about the ending, imma paste what I said somewhere else

Spoiler

Unfortunately this ending feels very MCU-tinged to me. Like it's designed to fuel debate about the next installment rather than have anything interesting to say by itself. It's the part of the game I'm most disappointed by, and while I'm looking forward to part 3 I'm no longer that invested in what they are doing with its story cause it just doesn't feel like a story anymore. It feels like youtuber engagement bait, catnip for the Maximillian Doods of the world but utterly devoid of any kind of emotional catharsis or like, any meaning to any of it. It's just stuff, a bunch of things happen. What does it mean? Who gives a fuck.

If you compartmentalise that stuff, I could imagine almost giving this game a 10. But I find it hard when it's so silly with its ending

This was a great writeup, I thought it made a clever thesis statement out of comparing the original scene. Not to make a purist complaint, but to contrast how in the original game Cloud's speech bubble blots out Sephiroth lording over him with his 'stupid plan'. 'Shut up', Cloud says, cause actually this is a story about the people in it and their position in the cycle of life, death and rebirth. It's about our pain, not your hubris (Sephiroth's and Shinras). Not the gears and cogs of a stupid megalomaniac's plan

https://cohost.org/dreamcastaway/post/5347036-you-ve-done-it-befor

But Rebirth shifts the narrative so that the stupid plan is the big thing that they want everyone talking about, and Aerith, Cloud and the others are sidelined as bits of plot furniture to speculate about the next 70$ release in 4 years time. Make sure to comment, like and subscribe

Total dogwater

I almost completely agree with that post. 

The article is an interesting read too. For the most part I’m on board with them.

Spoiler

Although they seem to agree that they should do something different WRT to Aeriths death but handled it badly. I’m definitely still in the mindset they should have still killed her “properly” and it’s a cowards way out with how theyve currently done it.