passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Manga Thread

OCH

Oh there is a manga thread, or did some one just make it, either way thats cool! I sort of want to try some manga, tried to read akira/ghost in the shell in the past but didnt get very far. Anyway so i got one called pluto, its something to do with astro boy, like a spin off or something, but i dont know much about astro boy so not sure, liked the 1st book, but the second wasnt as good, ill probably forget whats going on while waiting for the 3rd one to arrive. Looked into reading berserk but theres loads of it so difficult to buy and i dont think its on any of the netflix type subscription things?

For Berserk I had a look there and it doesn't seem like the 97 series is on anything, which is the one people say is good. Tho everyone seems ambivalent about that, and knowing where it ends vis a vis the manga makes me think that watching it would just piss the viewer off. 

I've been collecting a few manga the past year or so, and I think it's kind of an ordeal? The volumes can be pricy, considering the reading that is in them. I don't really have many good recommendations for manga, partly cause of the whole availability aspect stops me from reading much of it.  (still cant get volume 2 of the big volumes of Vagabond, so that is sitting unread for now). They also take up a ton of space on a bookshelf. I've an entire row which is just Berk stuff. If you have the space you want to fill with that stuff tho then they can look cool on a shelf.

I wonder if there's good digital options for getting into manga. I'd recommend checking that out, if you have an ipad or really large screen reader device. Other than that maybe consider volumes of Junji Ito stuff, who is an author of horror manga and you can get the whole story in a single volume. He did a version of Frankenstein which I have but haven't got around to reading yet. His most famous one is Uzumaki which is about weird shit, all his stuff is about weird shit. 

The availability has halted my reading with Vinland Saga also. Volume 3 is out of stock everywhere.

I'd recommend getting a short manga, if you're looking to dip your toe in @spatular Akira and the big names are really dense for your first go round. I read Fire Punch not too long ago. Only eight volumes. Easy to follow with a very definitive ending. Having a quick look and every volume seems readily available and quite cheap too. See how you get on with that and work your way upto the bigger stories. I had a friend who suggested a good jumping on point for manga was One Piece... It isn't.

3 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

I wonder if there's good digital options for getting into manga. I'd recommend checking that out, if you have an ipad or really large screen reader device.

I've been using the Shonen Jump app for two years now and that's been great for accessing manga (that Vis publish) and as an ereader. Costs about £1.50 a month but there is a fair old bit of free stuff as well.

1 hour ago, OCH said:

I had a friend who suggested a good jumping on point for manga was One Piece... It isn't.

I'm on chapter 120ish of One Piece and still not convinced I actually like it

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Im not into horror unfortunately so will give that a miss. Completely agree about the space thing, and sticking to short series. Will have a look into that fire punch and the jump app cheers. Crunchroll has some manga but they dont have them all they have like only the last so many volumes but dont have the start. So thats pointless. I actually already got some short ones because i like the anime, like i got planetes, but need some time to forget what happens before trying to read it.

edit - oh yeah ive got one Dangerman lent me years ago, i should try that

I thought i would do stuff like that if i had a house, it didnt really turn out like that. Hope you have more luck with it!

i see what you mean about stock problems too, i forgot about this but i ordered another 1st book to try a while ago but its still not turned up

• 2 weeks later...

5.6.jpg

The localised names of this volume's Stands, in comparison to the branded ones.

Spicy Lady - Spice Girl

Notorious Chase - Notorious B.I.G

Crush - Clash

Metallic - Metallica

Volume six is where the pacing picks up yet again. You have another Narancia-centric opening story(yawn). Followed by a brutal fight for survival onboard an airplane. The last part however, is the most intriguing. I posited before how similar Emperor Crimson was to DIO's The World. The difference between the two characters is brought into the spotlight now. As we finally get the reveal of the main antagonist six volumes in. Which is certainly different to Kira and DIO from previous parts. I think his central gimmick makes him more interesting than his Stand. At this point, I'm not sure where this Part is going. But I am engaged. 9/10

JI2.jpg

The next Junji Ito - Black Paradox

Interesting creativity with the cover, aside. This is a very different book than I was expecting. It does have some truly gorgeous body horror:

Spoiler

FhPOP9QWQAEX5hx.jpg

...That post-Christmas dinner feeling?

As standard. But this isn't a typical Ito horror story. Thematically very intriguing, we follow the lives of four individuals who all met up online to commit suicide. Where it goes from the initial premise. I wasn't expecting. Ito's works have definitely been on high lately. Between Remina and this. Tackling high concept themes of existentialism and cosmic horror. Definitely looking forward to the next one in the new year. 9.5/10 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

1st New Berserk Volume Since Manga Resumed Releases on September 29 in Japan

This year's eighth issue of Hakusensha's Young Animal magazine revealed on Friday that the 42nd volume of Kentarou Miura's Berserk manga will release on September 29 in Japan. A special edition version of the manga volume will bundle a Guts figure.

The issue also revealed that the manga will have a new chapter in the magazine's combined ninth and 10th issue on April 28.

Miura passed away on May 6, 2021 due to acute aortic dissection. He was 54. The manga went on hiatus after his passing, but then resumed in Young Animal in June 2022. The manga now has the following credits: "Original work by Kentarou Miura, manga by Studio Gaga, supervised by Kouji Mori."

Studio Gaga is Miura's studio with his assistants and apprentices who also worked on Berserk alongside him. Mori is a close childhood friend of Miura's, whom Miura frequently consulted with for plot details on Berserk. Mori said in June 2022 he "know the story for Berserk up to the very end." Mori drew a one-shot manga in Young Animal in 2021 that tells his story of lifelong friendship and creative relationship with Miura.

The 41st volume of Berserk, which includes the final chapters that Miura had created for the series, shipped in Japan in December 2021. Dark Horse Comics published the volume in November 2022.

I sort of selfishly hope this is the last one and they don't do the Mori ones like this as well, so I can finally murder the OCD goblin in my brain which is compulsing me to buy all these fucking things just to have them even tho I ended up being kind of lukewarm on Berserk past Golden Age

In likely my last dispatch from Book Depository, One Punch Man vol.25 will be arriving this week. Which reminds me I still have JoJo volume 7 and Vinland Saga vol. 3 & 4 unopened on my shelf. So, lots to read when I have the time/inclination to do so.

On 21/04/2023 at 21:38, one-armed dwarf said:

I ended up being kind of lukewarm on Berserk past Golden Age

That is still such an interesting take. I've read many sources that people really embraced when Berserk became an ensemble story. When the tone was lightened, following the Conviction Arc. Me, I've enjoyed every chapter, more or less (even the novel). I'd cut Isidro and the now irrelevant Puck from the story completely. But my leaning more towards villains than heroes. Means that Berserk does cater to my tastes in a different way.

• 1 month later...

9781974736669.jpg

Ito.jpg

Frustration: A game of two halves

OPM Vol. 25 - The improved pacing of the last volume was so welcome and refreshing. Yet now we seem to be going backwards and spinning wheels ..again. We are probably building to some resolution to Garo's story. But this overall felt like padding, a filler volume. Which is just really disappointing after Vol. 24. 6/10

Tombs by Junji Ito - Speaking of ups and downs. This isn't one of Ito's better volumes. There are stories that should be longer EG one and done 'Washed Ashore'. The final revelation felt like end of chapter one. Not end of the story. Yet some that are bizarrely too long, given too much space in the book EG the almost nonsensical 'Bronze Statue' and titular 'Tombs'. Another mixed bag that isn't easy to recommend. 6/10

• 2 months later...

"Berserk" will make an Announcement on September 29, 2023 with the release on Volume 42.

It has been confirmed that the Berserk manga will make an announcement on September 29 along with the release of volume 42 of the title. The series has seen several delays on multiple occasions and the upcoming chapter 374 has suffered a similar fate, with its release date often being postponed.

Somewhere on reddit it says that this announcement is intended for a domestic audience, which suggests it might not be much of an announcement really (given that there's an overseas audience for this series and all)

The last volumes by Miura get published soon in the next deluxe edition, so I'mma grab that for completion sake but I don't know I will do the same for the Mori stuff. The stuff I've read so far has been a bit picture book summary