passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

radiofloyd

The old rules dont apply in this because there are bosses that will one shot you because they're designed to spread aggro across multiple targets, or you need to be extremely good at parsing their combo strings if 1v1. 

Spoiler

Post raya lucaria, the boss fights are more like this. Margit is a weird difficulty spike, then godrick and renalla are a bit of a doss, then it sets itself to a pretty intense level the whole way through

Tho some people find Morgott a push over, again I think from open world overlevelling. Guy is mechanically a really tough fight, just not in terms of HP

Now, I'm level 53. Was able to pop that extra point into ARC, raise INT & FTH to 20 and VIG to 12. An extra 60HP might make a difference for now?

Decided to leave the New area. I don't pack the punch to make it viable yet. So I went to Caelid and grabbed an easy 70k. Also found the tree guardian of Caelid. Who is so far beyond the others, it isn't even funny. This area really is the worst of everything...

Question, specifically for our trailblazer @one-armed dwarf Has anyone bothered with parrying in this?

After I failed to get the timing window for the first hour or so. I find haven't bothered since. Amidst the jumping attacks, stealth mechanic and weapon ashes, I find it a little redundant. Let alone the fact that there are more gigantic enemies in this than in previous Soulsborne. Wherein it seems pointless to even try.

I’m not the legend which is OAD, but I use parry against a lot of the more common but tougher enemies. But on bosses I’ve found it near useless apart from that lion looking motherfucker with the huge sword - the boss at the very south near the start. Was very useful against him. 
But on all the others it’s shit. The problem is the lack of feedback, apart from the time it eventually breaks their posture, they just don’t react to the others so it’s too difficult to parry multiple hits.

Seen a couple of videos of people just using it on the opening bosses which is impressive but for a normal

person it’s wank. 

I've just found parry has become less intuitive with each Soulsborne. DeS had a very generous window and Dark 1 had a specific timing. The rest have offset both the window and the timing. I was almost killed by one of those worthless wandering enemies in this, trying to get the parry to work. Just wasn't getting a feel for it. So I've forgot all about it. 

For the most part, at this point. My shield is secondary on my off hand. My staff being more useful to me. If I can't put stuff down at a distance now. I two-hand my sword and finish the job.

I dont really parry in any of these games other than Bloodborne, where they made it really easy. I think the main reason to do it tho would be solo players quickly shutting down some of the degenerate combo whombos these boss fights have. So you're not rolling around the floor while some asshole is twirling canes and daggers and smashing you with a hammer 17 times

Like, if you're the kinda guy who thinks 12 vigor will squeeze them by some of the bullshit in this game, maybe you should consider parrying the first thing that comes out lol 😆

9 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Like, if you're the kinda guy who thinks 12 vigor will squeeze them by some of the bullshit in this game, maybe you should consider parrying the first thing that comes out lol

Just Git Gud and don't get hit...😏

That's how I beat the last Dragon boss I fought. Second try too.

I parried certain enemies in DS1 and DS2. Mainly at the beginning of the games where you just want to get through them fast and they’re really easy.

I think the tutorial enemy in ER when it’s explaining parrying starts to bait you from the jump. I was like eh. I tried doing it to some of the bosses to see if it would work. At best I got partial parries it felt like? Not sure the point in that though other than I didn’t completely die in one hit

The guard counter mechanic is a nice mid ground, though. Make parrying harder, but put in a less good but very easy version for scrubs. Like me. 

The funny part about parrying in DS1 is that it makes the hardest regular enemies (Black/Silver Knights) and the end boss (Gwyn) trivial. I think From learned the wrong lesson from this, and made parrying less effective as the series went on.

I must admit I haven't really used the guard counter either. My Souls taught instincts teach me to not be in front of any enemies to take that hit. 

I don't think its less effective tho if you take into account how few gaps some bosses have. Parry is the way to deal with fights with few openings.

I dont really do it tho. I tried a bit with the hardest boss, used golden parry which is more active and far reaching I think. But that stops me from two handing and powers stance. Shields aren't my style

The birds forced me in to using guard counter. I couldn’t hit them at all and whiffing meant I took massive damage. My brain quickly went to red alert and was like err, this is a problem. Like the birds might be the thing that kills my run. Then I remembered guard counter and it completely solved it. I was like ah. I should do this more often. 

I mostly keep a shield on me, out of habit. To tank that one hit if I do find myself too close to an attack. I haven't upgraded it. I started with a 100% physical resistance shield and stuck with the same one since. My Crystal Sword stacks with multiple stats, including Magic. With my off hand staff, I have a spell which effectively doubles as a Magic Sword. So I have an atypical power stance build at the moment.

Did a lot tonight.

Spoiler

I wanted to further Ranni’s quest so I went back underground and found Blaidd the Wolf. He told me he needed to get more information from Seluvis though so I left that alone for now.

I explored the Bellum Highway a little but ended up jumping down to an area of the Liurnia that has another wandering mausoleum (the fourth I’ve found I think) and a miners cave, where the boss at the end dropped a bell bearing.

I also went back to the starting area of the game and cleared the fog, went down through the area where the chariot patrols and defeated the boss at the bottom there. He gave me a cool ash summon but it requires 100 FP.

Currently 50 hours in, level 60. My healing potion is +5 with 10 charges.

Did quite a bit myself. I killed one of those "surprise" invaders, near a shack and also now ticked off two of those Evergaols, that have been cleared out. Also went back to the starting area and got some payback. Plus a few extras, new to the revisit.

Spoiler

A little further with Ranni's quest, myself. Thankfully beat the boss of that area, before meeting Blaidd. So I could run straight to him. Now talking to the second disciple - Seluvis. A real piece of shit. 

Entered Raya Lucaria too. I thought I must be quite high level. Once I was indoors, I've killed most things in a couple hits. Stumbled against the mid-boss though. Still find that the fast, hyper-aggressive enemies catch me off guard.

37 minutes ago, radiofloyd said:

Currently 50 hours in, level 60. My healing potion is +5 with 10 charges.

Very similar to me, think I'm level 55 when I looked last night but not as far in as you.

My healing flasks are 3 magic, 5 health and both at +5. I found so many seeds and tears around Limgrave and the Whispering Plains but haven't found any for ages now. It now takes me 3 seeds to get one more of my health or magic flasks.

@Maf what's the significance of reaching the soft level cap as quickly as possible? Sacrificing all other stats? I don't get it.

I think it costs me about 18/19,000 to level up now 😬

As my stats went, I started with high STR. Boosted it to 30 (which seemed a reasonable, early game number) and all my other stats I've tweaked along the way. Dictated by whatever weapons or spells I've picked up that I like the look of. For example, recently put one more point into DEX to use an interesting Hand Axe. Meanwhile put two points into Arcane to use my first Dragon spell.

Starscourge is DEAD

I'm going to assume that was the gimmick boss fight for this game? If so, kudos to Fromsoft. It is the best one they've done to date. So much fun and worlds apart from Godrick or Marge. So now I have 140K runes. Time to significantly enhance some stats!