passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy General Chat

Jimboxy

It's a good proof of concept for sure. Obviously wouldn't work like this with Octopath's low viewing angle, but some changes to the perspective and/or level design could make this an attractive title.

But at the same time I don't think it would benefit enormously from it now that I've seen quite a bit from the Pixel Remaster, which already, very subtly, modernises some visuals here and there.

I do wish FF5 and 6 got their DS remakes though. If they had, a port of the four titles would have been all that's needed today. 

I don't really think it necessary to do anything more with FF1 & 2 anymore.

On 24/04/2024 at 21:51, Metroid66 said:

I need to buy those for my franchise playthru. I know people are generally down on them, but I'm quite looking forward to getting around to them. I actually remember liking the demo, but then being put off by the negative reaction.

RE: FF 13

It's a tech demo for a really interesting battle system, with a half-hearted story tacked on. It's not bad, per say (that's FF15, imo) but just not very memorable beyond it's mechanics.

I will add that I would personally tap out of your franchise playthru for 13 or 15. 

😀

Well my franchise playthru will concentrate initially on the ones  I haven't played - 16, rebirth, 13, 8 and 9.

Apart from 9 I can already see that list turning you green around the gills.

You've played FF1-4, then??

I recently played through 9 and am currently playing through Rebirth. So scratch those two off. 8 and 16, eh? I'll think about them🤔

7 hours ago, OCH said:

You've played FF1-4, then??

I'm only playing 6 from the 2d entries. 

I wanted to try one at least but, although I'm enjoying the characters and the sheer history of the thing, I find myself being pressured by it in a weird way. There's just too much to worry about with all these characters, remembering what they do, the pressure of keeping them levelled, the knowledge that just around the corner may be some unassailable road block where lack of genre knowledge might end my game (as was close with that double boss on the way to the floating continent).

My experience with FF is from 10 onwards, and it's always been a relaxed and magical experience. Remake was a bit of a slog at times but I never felt I could ever make a critical error and lose hours to grinding.

My old school credentials are a bit wanting, but, luckily, the remaster has my back in some ways.

As you're relatively "new" to FF and are working backwards. If you walk away from FF6 with an overall positive vibe. I would recommend FF4. You don't need to go earlier in the series than that point. If you feeling pressured/stressed by 6 IE when the series began to get easier/more forgiving. FF1 and 2, you will not enjoy.

FF3, you don't really control characters, but "functions". The Job system was very rough in FF1 and they expanded on it with 3. But by the same token, the game isn't built to be completed with every job class, if that makes sense? Unfortunately the DS remake hasn't been ported. Which enhances the game quite a bit.

FF 4, they realised that there was too much to the job system and instead you were given characters belonging to a job class IE Kain the Dragoon, Rosa the White Mage etc So 4 will be the least alien to you of the 2D series prior to 6.

You'll notice I've largely left FF5 unmentioned. Honestly, I finished it once and don't really remember it. I was actually looking at it on the PS Store this morning (with a cursory glance at 7 & 8, too).

7 hours ago, Metroid66 said:

Don't you have to interact with other human beings to play that?

🤢🤢🤮

OoPs.gif

Well said. JRPG's are one player games.

I was never intending to do this, or even play the games back to back on my franchise run, but since I'm becoming a bit 'pixel blind' in my rather enjoyable playthru of FF6, I've decided to open up FF16 as a side game, then letting it take over when I've dealt with the pesky clown boy Kefka.

Madness, you say?

Perhaps. But it's basically an action game (I tested half an hour when I bought it) and so a completely different experience from 6 so it's what I'd normally do to keep a playthru of a long game like FF 6 fresh.

Join in if you have the inclination.

I still want to play FF16, but won’t be for a week or so. I’ve got 2 other games I want to finish first and I got about 9 hours in to Fallout 76 over the weekend. Really enjoying it and want to play more 

So still want to play FF16, but going to be a bit delayed 

Maf pestering phase 1.

Fallout 76? Deathclaws, mutants and stimpaks?

Let's just see what I'm offering here:

Confirmed: Swords, sorcery, princesses, cleavage, dialogue written by the director's 3 year old niece.

Probable: beautiful semi open world, incoherent plot, cleavage, great hair.

Hopeful: Big explosions. Unreasonably large enemies who can't really fight, cleavage.

The voice acting and dialogue for FF16 is what made me interested in it from the release trailer. I’m so tired of the silly, flimsy, toddler like anime dribble. 

I was trying to mod FF13 over the weekend and played a little bit to test it and my god. Grade A dog shit