passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

[Rumour/Leak] Resident Evil Rumours

DisturbedSwan

^ Part of the reason I wanted CV to be remade. It's been a long time since I've played it. Through the search for it, I have come to the disappointing realisation that virtually all of the back catalogue on PSN (ala my PS3) is absent from the PS5.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Remaking 6 makes no sense at all, there's scraping the barrel and then there's that. 🤮

I think they will do the first game again as well tbh. That would be the game to finally break my resolve to get a PSVR2, cause the first remake is one of my favorite games ever I think (altho I don't think I put it on my top 25 list..)

CV probably makes a bit more sense from a continuity perspective tho as they've reintroduced Wesker and can hit the ground running with a less racist version of RE5

20 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

CV probably makes a bit more sense from a continuity perspective tho as they've reintroduced Wesker and can hit the ground running with a less racist version of RE5

What do they do though, move the location of where it's set? Add more white folk to shoot? It's a weird situation with that game.

The RE5 thing gets mischaracterized a lot as being about the fact it's set in Africa and it's a white guy shooting black zombies. I remember thinking that at the time also, it didn't make sense to me in 2008 or whenever it was cause what else is it going to be. Got it explained to me somewhere else tho that it's not necessarily that at all and more how the game will clumsily produce images which (inadvertently, perhaps) dovetail with historical images from racist propaganda, and do so unawares or uncritically. The most infamous coming way later on during the village section with the tribes throwing spears at you. It's the representation of, rather than the fact of their being in the game.

Not that I have any business suggesting the best way around that, but not setting it in Africa would be a bad move. Setting games in Africa should be a thing. But a lot of its issues seem not out of malice but more out of blindness. Like accidental dog whistles

The original writeup on that is here. https://www.mtv.com/news/rl3vu2/newsweeks-ngai-croal-on-the-resident-evil-5-trailer-this-imagery-has-a-history

Yeah, I actually think I've seen something along those lines before... I'm not even going to attempt a conversation to go with this subject tbf, I'm far too clumsy in regards to that and I'll probably say something that inadvertently gets me in trouble or something... Best to stay shtum.👍

Those things could easily be remedied in a remake though, in contrast to rewriting the entire scenario taking place somewhere else. Though harmless by comparison (or in general), from what I understand they also did away with all the slight sexual innuendo between Ashley and Leon in Rem4ke, so they're definitely aware of stuff that might not go over so well in 2023 and beyond. Particularly when it already didn't go over well 15 years ago.

Never really liked 5 though. I hope they remake Revelations at some point. While it was impressive for a 3DS game, it was a very fractured game and I think you could make quite a bit more out of its rather unique setting (which it only shares with RE Gaiden I think) on modern hardware.

4 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

from what I understand they also did away with all the slight sexual innuendo between Ashley and Leon in Rem4ke

Yeah... and then added arse jiggle physics to Ada soooooooo.

I could go with Revelations though, it has Jill so it's a winner.

I think they could definitely do 5 and keep it set in Africa, they'd just have to be more wary about where it's set, enemies weapon sets, representation and stuff like that.

If they set it in somewhere like South Africa (or a fake version of it)) where there is a large white population then you could shoot zombies of all races. As others have said though, it's the representation that matters most, that the locals aren't portrayed as natives or anything classically racist like that.

If they try to attempt it there will definitely need to be major changes anyway, no doubt about that. As one of the few people who liked 6 I wouldn't mind a remake, but there would be an awful lot that needs to be changed there to appease the masses.

There's probably lots of ways RE5 could be "fixed" but I think, for what it's worth, a central problem is Chris himself in that if the resistance against Umbrella was more local but then Chris is the poster boy so I dunno.

It's just best to just leave it for lots of reasons.  It doesn't look good when this many of your catalogue is remakes.

26 minutes ago, HandsomeDead said:

It doesn't look good when this many of your catalogue is remakes.

I kind've don't agree with this, not when two of those games are completely different from their originals plus i kind've like the staggered approach they've been doing with remakes/new entries.

I think we know where @OCH will fall on this... let's have a Code Veronica remake, the original doesn't hold up well and I'd like them to make Steve not be a whining prick.😂

I just think they're making too many Resident Evil games in particular. I like the series a lot (one of my faves) and it will take time to burn me out on them, but I think they will definitely burn their audience out and have to reduce the pace of these releases a bit. Franchise fatigue is real, ask Bob Iger

Seems a shame to not use some of these teams to develop different games.