passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Films II : The Filminator

Bob

I don't really agree on it being too long tbh.

edit, putting stuff about themes in a spoiler

Spoiler

It's sort of trying to induce an anaethesizing effect on the viewer with its mundane content (and I think also some degree of repetitiveness iirc). But it's also about how the family's participation in the holocaust turns inwards and poisons their daily rituals, which is something that happens progressively so it's not imo redundant with its scene delivery

I mentioned this when Nag replied sarcastically but I actually do think that The Act of Killing is something worth watching at some point and comparing to this, it's about the same thing (I'm fairly sure that it was reading material for Zone of Interest tbh).

Not immediately though, gotta space that shit out with a couple Adam Sandler films or something. Give the evil some time to breathe.

I have no issues with the pacing, I just think it has said and shown everything it needed to 20 minutes before it's actually over. But that could also just be the effect of the subject matter grinding you down and me being ready to bring it to a close earlier than the movie itself wants to.

I watched Naked (1993) which stars David Thewlis going on a sort of Odyssey* around London for a few days/nights. It's like what if Leopold Bloom was a dickhead. It's a film I really didn't like at all, despite its great acting performances. Thewlis plays this very loquacious but abusive as fuck asshole, especially to women, kind of a narcisstic emotional vampire with how he seduces people with his quick wit but then mistreats them to feed his own ego. I know there's additional layers here but it didn't really work for me cause it wasn't the film I really needed to watch right now.

*he holds the book up at one point saying "you know what this is about, yeah", so it's kinda on purpose. Meant I could even predict the ending, sort of. 

Then I watched The Lobster (2015), which is directed by the guy who did Poor Things recently and The Killing of a Sacred Deer. It's set in this sort of dystopic future where being single is illegal, kind of like a Logan's Run situation. If you don't have a partner, they take you off to this hotel where you have 45 days to partner up or you get turned into an animal of your choosing. People pair up based on superficial similarities, like having a nice smile but also things like being short sighted, having a limp or suffering from nosebleeds. Everyone speaks with this kinda flatness of affect in their dialogue and has this sort of autistic kinda way of relating to each other and the world. 

I thought it was really funny in that deadpan way that this director's films are. It's sort of like what if David Lynch directed an episode of Father Ted, or something. Colin Farrell is great in this type of surreal-bordering-on-horror-comedy, hope he keeps doing these types of films. I prefer Sacred Deer though cause it veers more in the direction of absurd horror than comedy. 

This scene made me lol but it's NSFW

Spoiler

Not for lack of ideas, but cause everything has to be based on existing IP now

Watched After Hours (1985), a scorcese comedy set in NY about a burnt out guy (played by Griffin Dunne who was in American Werewolf in London) whos kinda coasting in his career, goes out meets a girl but it all goes wrong in the worst and most unpredictable ways possible. I got it on 4k UHD, and it looks great.

Kinda a weird outlier in Marty's filmography, doesn't really resemble anything else I've seen by him. I wanna check out more of his non-mafioso films