passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Baldur's Gate 3

DisturbedSwan

One mammoth RPG on PS5, one mammoth RPG on Series X, they may change that again though lol. 

I need to finish Jedi Survivor and FF16 before I can even think about playing either of the two on release day anyway unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

GamesRadar: Baldur's Gate 3 Preview - The Closest We've Ever Come To A Full Simulation of D&D

This heist has gone very wrong, very quickly, much to the embarrassment of Baldur's Gate 3 game director Sven Vincke. Two guards have remained stalwart at their posts, so the plan to create a distraction with one character and stroll through the bank's open doors with another has resolutely failed. Now, a chaotic battle is unfolding on multiple fronts. In the end, it's a combination of a poisonous cloud, a resilient panther, and a couple of sly teleportation spells that get the party into the vault.

The initial plan was genius, albeit heavily rehearsed. Splitting his Wizard from the party, Vincke multi-classed to take advantage of a Sorcerer ability; Metamagic lets you augment the range of spells, and now his Wizard can fly three times as far as he could before – far enough to reach the roof of the bank he's targeting. From there, a Scroll of Gaseous Form lets him travel through the building's pipes and into the bank's offices. After that, the aim was to lead every guard in the building on a merry dance, leaving the vaults undefended. If it had been a success, it would have been a perfect realization of the strengths that D&D systems have brought to Baldur's Gate 3. As it is, it's still a pitch-perfect encapsulation of the chaos that unfurls when even a single dice roll doesn't go your way.

Even at the very most surface level, it's impossibly dense. The titular city teems with life, but so does every other settlement you come across, each town an entire soundscape of babbling voices weaving through streets packed with NPCs, every one of whom has a potential part to play in your story. At one moment, I picked a stranger out of the crowd at random, only to find that they had the information to help me on a major quest, but if I hadn't had a specific character in my party, they might never have given it up.

The density of the world is very impressive, but what most struck me is the density of the game's structure, and the freedom that comes with that.

The number of branching paths is so great that lead writer Adam Smith describes it as a spiderweb: "It's not that you start at point A, and then you keep branching and branching and branching. You're always heading towards the same point, but what happens when you get there is very different." Smith points to one major character who was accidentally killed in an early playtest: "The game reacts, the game can let that happen. You can always pull yourself out of it and get back onto the plotline."

"What we realized very quickly is that people will get everywhere. And then we need to put invisible walls up and we need to take away Flight. But we weren't going to do that." It was at that point, he says, that he felt he was no longer making an RPG. Instead, Baldur's Gate 3 had become an immersive sim in the vein of Thief, Deus Ex, or Dishonored.

Smith adds: "It was only when we got to the city that we realized we had to go from 'what's behind this waterfall' to 'what's in these 50 houses?', or 'this person came up through the sewers, so how do people react?"

Larian has spent six years creating Baldur's Gate 3, and three of those in early access. Without that period of public testing and feedback, Smith says, it's almost impossible to imagine the game existing; responses have helped shape entire narrative threads, but they've also given the developers the opportunity to demonstrate the richness of their simulation. Smith says that players needed to be invited into the "choice space," but that it was just as easy to scare them away from investing in the game's freedoms.

• 4 weeks later...

There won't be any release day reviews for this, or at least not ones which are meaningful, due to them coming in so late with review code. So PC players will sort of act like reviewers for the PS5 players I guess

https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/01/baldurs-gate-3-will-have-no-review-scores-or-preloads-this-week-19227121/

Impressions from the EA are very positive, and previous form with D:OS games is really well regarded as well. But it wouldn't be surprising if it's a bit of a mess technically speaking past the first act from EA from what I read.

Think I will make regular backups of my save or something

Funny that Larian release a statement to deny that the Xbox BG3 delay isn't due to any exclusivity deal (with Sony) - when it's more plausible that MS might actually want the release of BG3 deferred to decouple it from the release of Starfield.......

https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/01/baldurs-gate-3-delayed-on-xbox-until-2024-suggests-developer-19226535/?ico=mosaic_gaming

It's being delayed on xbox because they can't get split screen working right on Series S due to technical constraints

That came up ages ago, no way it has anything to do with Starfield

not to mention, wouldn't this be a particularly shit exclusivity deal for Sony? PC players get it a whole month before them!

This number might change, but this is the 9th most popular game on steam ever, currently with just over 700k concurrent players.

I guess one small part of it is that it's one of those rare occasions where an exciting new exclusive is on PC for once, even if only for a few weeks. Other than that it's a genre which has always courted that audience, and with huge anticipation from both the early access and Divinity games. It's a pretty big deal for a sequel to a 20+ year old game

image.png

Hopefully it passes out Harry Potter, cause fuck Rowling and all

(also wtf is goose goose duck, actually don't want to know tbh)

13 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

(also wtf is goose goose duck, actually don't want to know tbh)

The google search was sfw, turns out it's just Among Us with geese. No idea why there's any audience for that but there you go.

I'm a bit surprised but also immensely happy that BD3 is doing well. This is such a unique thing in this day and age, specifically built and designed for a somewhat niche target audience over such a long time that it would have been AAA territory if not for its partial early access financing. I'm not even sure if I'd like the game but I'm really glad it exists.

Reviews are trickling in day by day and it's hard to find a single one that doesn't declare it a masterpiece of reactive RPG design

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2023/aug/09/baldurs-gate-3-review-pc-mac-ps5-larian

It's definitely the most daunted I've been by a game for a while. I absolutely don't want to look at any kind of spoiler free 'guide' cause I'm worried by the stuff I don't know that I don't know yet, with how much you can apparently do in this game

It has that Deux Ex thing of 'I wonder if this works?', and a lot of the time it does, and even then there's unexpected side effects you wouldn't have considered, but all the time the game is hinting at them

gameplay spoiler

Spoiler

eg, an optional boss fight I'm stuck on cause I failed a speech-check, on the way I saw some goblins throw other goblins into a pit with spiders. Ok, whatevers. Then in this same room during the fight I throw a 'void ball' down, which grabs enemies and pulls them together, then have my mage fly over and knock all the fuckers down in the pit with a pushback thunder spell, and now the fucks are stuck on the bottom floor fighting spiders instead of me!