passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gaming Shout Thread

Sly Reflex

I think the modded version in itself is a bit anti-purist because it boots the games from an SD card, removing the extra noise and also a bit of tinkering when switching imported discs around with the DC-X. And I'm just half-joking about this, I think the whirring up of the disc is part of these systems, too.

I think normal, unmodded DCs should be quite a bit cheaper. You could just get one of those and buy your favourite games from ebay or simply burn the ROMs on a CD. You just have to pay attention to which version of the console you get in that case because not all of them are easily compatible with self-burned discs IIRC.

I remember it making whirring noises but that clicking sounds fucked... mine definitely didn't do that, I played mine in my old box bedroom... I think I would've noticed that kind've noise. 

Maybe it did sound like that and I don’t remember. Extremely possible.

The Dreamcast was the first console I ever had that broke. The laser reading lens thing. It got to the point where I had to literally stand it vertically on it’s side for it to work properly

Even though I never used it very much relative to other consoles I owned, I still think Dreamcast is top 3 coolest consoles of all time along with GameCube and GBA 

I think you were probably too young for the OG PS1 Maf? Those things were really unreliable, we had one where we basically had to realign the laser every day 

Anyway, if the question is "should I buy a Dreamcast?" then the answer is always yes. 

I have an sd card reading one, but I don't use it a huge amount because I've got a lot of physical games, and it's easier to just play them than it is to download and move over a rom. I have a HDMI converter for it too, so, yeah. Perfect console innit