passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sonic Mania

Hendo

I am a platforming pro, age 35.

It's not difficult in the traditional sense. It's the cheap deaths, being squashed, losing all your rings when one of the silly enemies suddenly gets spikes, getting to the end of the second stage in a second world and losing your lives and then having to redo the first shitty level again. It's partly a Sonic thing. I only really like the first two. 

I was gonna say - that's Sonic. If you'd not played them or too young to have done, then I understand.

I thought it a piece o piss as I'd played and loved them back in the day. I'm sure even the first two didn't have area checkpoints (could be mistaken) - whereas at least Mania does. Imagine going all the way back to the start after losing your lives man ?

53 minutes ago, ThreeFour said:

I was gonna say - that's Sonic. If you'd not played them or too young to have done, then I understand.

I thought it a piece o piss as I'd played and loved them back in the day. I'm sure even the first two didn't have area checkpoints (could be mistaken) - whereas at least Mania does. Imagine going all the way back to the start after losing your lives man ?

I mean, I'm not saying, I'm just saying, but someone has spent the day posting about his mini Snes

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, retroed said:

It's not difficult in the traditional sense. It's the cheap deaths, being squashed, losing all your rings when one of the silly enemies suddenly gets spikes, getting to the end of the second stage in a second world and losing your lives and then having to redo the first shitty level again.

This. I mean congrats Threefour at being a Sonic master but I'm not. I've no desire to constantly replay boring levels to get back to the bit I'm stuck on. I've died on that Oily Cunt Zone three times now, the last time's last life was a cheap, in the oil instant death for no reason I could fathom. I thought 'i'll try this one more time'. I thought I'd just run through and try my luck, within 15 seconds I'd instant deathed on one of those green lid things as it came back down. How the fuck the Switch didn't end up in the fucking wall I don't know, testament I have possibly grown up a tiny bit and can control my game rage.

Suffice to say I'm done now. The sad thing is it's actually a good game with some piss poor design choices.

I'm no Sonic master I just played these games back in the day. What with area checkpoints it's less stressful than the earlier ones. Paying Sonic and going right back to Green Hill Zone after fucking up there ?

This is one of my favourite Sonic games now, so I ruddy love it!

I just got my Mini SNES and oh boy there's some toughies on there ?

@ThreeFour - Sorry dude, I came off as a bit of a snippy cunt there, was hot off the back off a Sonic face fuck and was in a bad mood.

Ok, i dusted my balls off, went back to Sonic Mania, stopped being a bitch and finished the motherfucker.  The Oily Ocean Zone boss was such a spike in difficulty for me but then it went back to regular service afterwards, i beat the final boss with 8 lives in tact.

The final zone was actually quite good (in opposition to the zone previous), I even enjoyed the final boss battle.

I found it a shame that the game caused me so much frustration. I wanted to like it but there are too many times where it just fucks you of your rings without you having too much of a chance to do owt about it. And I'm not down with insta-deaths because instead of walking off an edge Sonic decides to do that off-balance animation for a split second which happens to be enough time for a platform to graze your eyebrow and end you.

It certainly was bright and colourful though and the music was awesome, as were 75% of the boss fights. I started my 'game clear' go again to see what happens and my fucking god I love the music from the Green Hill Zone. That put me in a good mood. God bless Sonic 1. Anyway, that's that.

@illdog No worries dude. Perhaps I came across a bit smarmy. Was just puzzled, not just at you,  at some struggling. Out of all the tough games out there i don't find Sonic one of them. It's got it's spikey (ho ho) moments but on the whole a simple platformer to me.

Oily Ocean is a shitter tho. That's why I put the video up of me doing it with the fire shield as it becomes the easiest boss then ?

I think the problem some are having is these Sonic games have a language to the level design, like if you see the stage throw up certain patterns you can usually predict what is coming next, or at least consider a few possibilities.  I think that's why myself and a few others didn't have that much trouble with it and just loved it.  

I suppose I'm just saying Sonic Mania is only appealing to those that endlessly played the Mega Drive games to death.  Or an eight year old.

I never thought of Sonic games, even back then, as great platformers in terms of 'platforming' or level design. Early ones suited to speed runs but then they started getting more convoluted. For me it was the vibrant world's, the groovy music and the fun boss fights. Things Mania has in spades.

I always just run/roll through the stage only taking care on the odd sections. Like if we were talking Gouls n Ghosts or Mega Man or even Mario then yeah care should be taken and they can be difficult. But Sonic Mania with included checkpoints? Pussies. 

??

• 5 months later...