passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Yakuza 0

DANGERMAN

I’ve had real trouble getting my teeth stuck in on anything recently, despite all the time in the world, anything other than a simple puzzle game or an hour or so on Animal Crossing just ends up with me bouncing to something else with no ability to hold my interest. Which is a massive shame as I know full well if things return to normal, I’ll be full of regret of all the games in my backlog I could’ve completed.

So it’s probably not for the best that the only game of that type I’m down to play is this, again.

I think knowing where the story is going is one reason, also my PS version isn’t sitting on the HDD, and I wanted to play it again, so downloaded the Xbox version instead.

I’d forgotten just how funny this game can be. Never not entertaining hearing Kiryu say, “that’s rad!” when he learns a new fighting move.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m on Majima’s first chapter now and I’ve had 3 quality side missions pop up back to back. The living statue one and the jacket across the bridge one are just the best to make me giggle.

I would honestly love to see a TV show out of this series, each game being a different season. You could easily take the cut scenes and build a script out of it. Probably best to not indulge too much in the wacky stuff, but it would make a gripping crime drama.

Finished Majima’s second chapter (chapter 4) and back to Kiryu.

I might enjoy Majima’s story and side missions more than Kiryu’s, but it’s probably pretty close.

Haven’t got to the club mini game yet, which I spent a ton of time on the first time around.

• 10 months later...

Finally got around to the Yakuza series.

Loved the first hour of this. I loved the emphasis on storytelling, I don’t know if it will stay this way but I really enjoyed it. Combat was fun. Karaoke was fun. I love the voice of the actor who plays Kiryu. I don’t know if he has won any awards within the industry but I feel like he deserves it.

• 1 month later...

Just started this. Got to the end of the first part, and beat the first boss. I've only played 3 and 4 to completion, and I had a failed playthru of 5 (I just couldn't get on with all the different characters and their stories. I remember hunting at one point and thinking, 'this is shite')

So I approach this with trepidation. At the moment though, I love it. The fighting is great. I'm using the balletic rushdown stance for the most part, and switching to brawler when I consider a foe beneath me and simply need to hit him with a bike.

Not sure about Mr shakedown, though. I'd hate to lose 30 mil on a bad scrap.

I've got another one now, plus you can train with the people who showed you the initial stances to get new moves. I'm about 6 hours in, and I'm trying to use everything, but there's a lot to remember. Maybe too much. Of course, as in all games like this, you just end up taking what you want and creating your own style.

I've done some mad as hell substories. The game can be nuts at times.

I’m slowly getting into this. It feels like an rpg even without turn based combat. I’ve done a few interesting substories. I love the little details like the men on the street practicing their golf swings. The contrast between day and night in the game is cool.

I've started to put the beatdown on Mr shakedown. He's a bit of a pain because you really just have get in fast and dodge away, so the fight can drag on. He can kill in two hits.

But he's always carrying about 15 mil (and generally crying poverty, the cheeky bugger).

Still playing this, but I'm starting to feel a visit to the old 'sacked that off, mate,' thread is rather imminent.

It's painfully slow at times. And it emotionally cajoles you to invest time (precious time if, like me, you're only getting an hour or so of gaming time) into doing the most inane and unsatisfying activities, like winning teddy bears out of a UFO grabber machine in order, the game implies, to stop a child getting abducted, ffs.

I've just done a mission with Kiryu, where the objective, via multiple choice questions, appeared to be to demonstrate how competent you can be in meeting a real estate client. This lasted 40 minutes....

I’d say give it a few more hours before sacking it in, it is a magnificent game but the first 5-10 hours is super slow and holds your hand too much. 

But yeah, obviously you do you etc. It’s a shame you’re not getting on with it more.

I sort of like it. But, like I said, gaming time is getting less and less as the lockdown eases off, and in this you can get roped (and locked) into the most inane sidequest that takes loads of time and is basically all talk (and not really clever talk, at that).

Plus, I just managed to grab watchdogs legion for 15 quid. And I effing love watchdogs. This weekend will be a crucial time for Kiryu. He mightn't make it, if I'm honest.