passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XV

Sambob

Using my nice new Xbox to its fullest capabilities by firing up this 4 year old utter shambles from gamepass. Seriously, I love this game and it's my third visit (pocket edition was number 2), but there's no denying it's a feckin' train wreck in many technical areas. The combat feels pretty good when there's a few enemies on screen. Unfortunately, for 90 percent of the time your fighting multiple foes and it's pretty much a big mess. And let's not discuss the foliage hugging camera, the faux open world, populated only by characters who need things collected (and who are inexplicably unable to to collect those things themselves), and the redneck yeehaw locals who have seemingly washed up in this world of kings and princes and just 'got on with it.'

I dunno. I've wanted to play this royal edition for a while now. And I'm definitely enjoying it. I just can't put my finger on why.

The royal edition does things like let you swap characters FFVII Remake style, I've always wanted to try that and see if it resolves some of the problems I had with it.

Just never understood the combat in this game, holding attack and sometimes holding block. It took out all the fun decision making and strategy, maybe character swapping fixes that I dunno.

Anyway I also loaded this up recently to test my 3070, it's like eyeball vaseline with how smooth it runs now. A weirdly brilliant PC port effort from a studio who almost never puts effort into its PC games (the XIII trilogy). The monsters you fight have big bushy beards and stuff, it's great lol. 

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

The royal edition does things like let you swap characters FFVII Remake style,

Well if it does that it hasn't told me how. Those dlc chapters are present and correct though. I'll Google the combat switching in case I've missed it. 

I think it's a skill you have to unlock, or you have to do the DLC first. 

I don't actually know but here's what it looks like anyways

I don't know anyone who's played the game like this tho cause I think most ppl made their minds up and didn't return to it post update (maybe mfnick played with this system)

Get the sneaky feeling that your posse probably play better than Noctis himself

Yea I played the royal edition with the character swap ability. Combat is still shit, barely improves it. 

I did enjoy doing the big guys (forgot his name) combat when solo in the DLC. Doesn’t really work well at all in the battles during the main game though as it’s more one on one based. 

Got 20 hours in on this, and it's sort of flew over. Reached about chapter 5, I think, but have spent quite a lot of those hours messing about in the open world, which has been a lot easier with the SSD, given that it now takes mere seconds to get back to your car or fast travel. It's actually faster to warp to your car than run to your car if it's anything more than 40 yards away?

Anyway I've open up a lot of combat options, including the ridiculous summons that this game has, but I still can't swap characters in combat. But the twenty hour mark has been reached, so I'm jumping out for a week or so play something else.

That's how I've decided to take on the gamepass library. It's a big job so I had to come up with a plan!

56 minutes ago, bellow said:

But the twenty hour mark has been reached, so I'm jumping out for a week or so play something else.

Have you finished 9 yet? I was intentionally vague and spoiler free with my last post, in case you hadn't.

20 hours? I was near the end by then lol. I detested the open world bit, felt so pointless. 
Fast loads may have helped though. I reckon that’ll really help with a lot more irritating parts of games in future. I’m basically buying a Series X early for it. 

42 minutes ago, OCH said:

Have you finished 9 yet? I was intentionally vague and spoiler free with my last post, in case you hadn't.

I tried to get back in with a story recap, but I just couldn't cope with it. I don't know what it was about that game but it just rubbed me the wrong way. I've loved all the other ones I've played, though.

32 minutes ago, mfnick said:

20 hours? I was near the end by then lol. I detested the open world bit, felt so pointless. 
Fast loads may have helped though.

I think I was bit iffy on the open world on my first go. This time I'm sort of doing a 'see everything' playthru that might last a few months in 20 hour stretches. I probably won't be tackling that mountain sized turtle, mind. And fast loading (and quick resume) help massively.

11 minutes ago, bellow said:

I tried to get back in with a story recap, but I just couldn't cope with it. I don't know what it was about that game but it just rubbed me the wrong way. I've loved all the other ones I've played, though.

It is funny though. I assume you reached Bran Bal, from your posts. By the time you reached the "dungeon" of the area, it does spell out the plot for you. I imagine the idea was, you've been playing this for 30+ hours, so an in-game recap is needed. 

21 minutes ago, Nag said:

It might just be he thought it was shit... just an idea.?

Nah, he's not talking about 13.. or 8?

EDIT: Besides, what Bellow is getting at isn't that at all. Basically, by about Disc Three, the plot you'd been playing through up until that point changes and becomes something completely different. To such an extent - spoiler free - the very last boss is only introduced for the boss fight itself. The image behind the logo (a staple for the series) is only revealed in-game, in the second to last fight.

Slightly overdone it in the open world. Had a quick check to see what type of level people were recommending for the final boss, to see if I was overlevelled. Looks like 45 is the generally accepted target for the end game.

I'm on chapter 6 and I'm level 51. Oops.

Completed the dreaded chapter 13 in what felt like about 100 hours. And that's after they patched it to make you overpowered so you can blast thru it.

I've reunited with the fellas after the strange events in ch13, but I'm going to visit the past and clear my side quests. I have a target to get everyone to level 60, which should be easy. Anything more than that in this game would be too much of a chore.

I still like the game, but it's flaws have been more apparent in this playthru. So I like, maybe even love, it, while recognizing that it pretty much pure garbage as a videogame.

Finished this. Definitely a game of 2 parts, and neither of them good to be honest - a basic open world of fetch quests and hunts, and a linear main questline that has very little to offer in terms of narrative depth; still the same old schtick of crystals and evil empires.

I think I've overdosed on FF games this last couple of years, too. They're certainly spectacular, but massively overblown and seemingly unable to impart any emotional depth without recourse to the most unrealistic portrayals of good Vs bad. There's hardly any nuance in the characterizations. It's just unfettered virtue up against illogical evil.

They need to freshen this stuff up as far as I'm concerned. It's enjoyable, certainly, but it's a bit like diet coke. There's no real depth of flavour. 

Anyway. I've had a good run. Started with FF15, then 7, 9 (failed to finish), 10, 10-2, 12 (by far my favourite) FF15 pocket edition (recommended), World, then back to where I started with FF15 royal edition.

That's a lot of gaming, and I'm glad I did it. But I'll be leaving the Jrpgs out for a while. Hopefully I can come to Bravely Default 2 and Ys 9 with a clean pallette next year.

cf28d2d2-6804-40b4-8330-3756437ef6d3.png

The original. And I know this is an unpopular opinion but I didn't really like it, but then I don't really like the whole steampunk vibe, plus it was just a bit too retro for my tastes in the graphics. I played the demo to the remake, but I wasn't really chomping at the bit to go out and buy it. I thought the combat was a bit drawn out, to be honest.

Maybe if it comes to gamepass. 

4 minutes ago, bellow said:

. I thought the combat was a bit drawn out, to be honest.

Honestly worth giving the full game a go. I didn’t think much to the combat in the demo either but really liked it the full game after spending a good amount of time with it.

Is it even coming to Xbox? Never mind Game Pass?