passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Virtual Reality Stuff

spatular

tbh, I will be skipping every cutscene in this anyway so I'd doubt I'd have noticed. The cutscenes are played in this silly little theatre window thing, no attempt made to convert to VR. Which tbf is entirely understandable, some of the situations the characters get in are not VR compatible

Lone Echo II is out today, but zero press release stuff or any review/previews. This is the sequel to one of the best rated VR games behind Half Life Alyx (some put it above that). Shows how much PCVR has fallen off, basically DOA at this point. Future is all stand-alone VR.

Def going to check it out tho, zero g locomotion is something that VR can only really pull off right now. The action bits in the original were fun but limited, think a version of the library section in Halo where you're clambering around and shooting blobs around corners. 

Ian plays some Lone Echo 2

I have this, not really got around to it yet. When I tried it the framerate was terrible even on low settings. Seems really hard to run so I might wait a bit. It's like early PS4 level graphics in VR (which is really pushing things, given that it's rendering the game twice at a really high fps/resolution)

Hardly any reviews for it. From what I heard it's basically like a DLC campaign for the first game

Reviews for RE4, the latest smash hit from Capcom

https://www.gameinformer.com/review/resident-evil-4-vr/breathing-new-life-into-a-familiar-feeling

https://uploadvr.com/resident-evil-4-vr-review

https://www.theverge.com/22726158/resident-evil-4-vr-capcom-oculus-quest-2-review?utm_campaign=theverge&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Sounds like the first proper VR effort for the series, compared with VII which was just the standard console experience close to your face (no unique interactions for VR)

tis the season for very cool resident evil vr stuff

This is a mod I posted about ITT before, it's getting close to release. After playing RE4 my standards have been raised pretty massively tho so I may wait until this has VR reload mechanics cause I consider that a pretty vital interaction

Obviously this is going to be hella janky as it's a retrofit of an existing thing onto VR rather than a from the ground up effort like RE4. Also you'll need a fucking great PC to even get remotely acceptable performance out of it, even on low settings (dunno if this is what's causing the nauseating jitter on this clip)

The big question I have is does Mr.X in RE2 have line of sight on your character and can you just crawl around underneath stuff to avoid him. It might threaten to make that mechanic actually interesting

Also btw oculus are announcing a new headset tomorrow, tho it looks like a Switch OLED situation rather than a power bump

San Andreas VR will be a thing

FCzYzvzXIAQTLzs?format=jpg&name=large

Literally asked for this. But there's a shit fuckton of interactions they will need to make this experience interesting and good. But it would be amazing if done correct and with the right kind of imagination

A good reason to just skip the remaster so I'll be fresh for a proper rethink of the game. VR on these old games is really like a time machine back to playing them for the first time, at least for RE4

(This is all we have, the zombie facebook man with a logo no trailer or anything)

• 2 weeks later...

Only a matter of time til this mod comes out 

Not quite on RE4's level but it looks cool for a fan mod

Also that twisty torso is one reason I prefer floating vr hands lmao. Even when it's not buggy it's weird, there's like a disconnect there where it's hard to know how to get away from things when it's not your body

• 1 month later...

Tried the new RE Framework VR mods, which puts every RE engine game into VR. But only RE2 and 3make have received specific adjustments (DMC5 in vr... no bueno 🤮)

It's a cool thing, and hopefully support continues (there is a patreon, so I guess the intent is there). Really underlines how important tho bespoke interactions are to VR. Cause even tho it's visually so much better looking than RE4 VR, RE4 is just a much richer experience for player expression with the dual wielding, and also even a little skill expression with how fast you can reload weapons. Right now RE2 VR just has the same mechanics as the main game, except now you can teabag zombos so it's actually quite a bit better just for that.

Eventually tho this means that we will finally get REVII VR on PC. The PSVR version only worked with a controller, so you'd imagine it wouldn't take a huge effort to get to some sort of parity. Then maybe even surpass it. I'd be really interested in trying that one, cause the scares in it seem created for VR.

But yeah, there's such a big difference between this and an official effort. RE4 VR was so good. Hopefully they'll do more, RE5 VR with co-op could be really cool. Amazing, in fact. Fuck, even RE6 could be salvageable.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Synapse gameplay, the VR rogue like shooter with Solid Snake in it

Watching this make me wonder what Control would be like with VR

Sony's roadmap for PSVR has been super underwhelming and has made me kinda think I'm not bothered anymore, but this at least looks like a really cool game

• 3 months later...

Quest 3 is out now, been watching reviews and stuff on youtube, price is high, but i think i will end up getting one at some point, been wanting to upgrade my vr for a while now, its not perfect but think it will be the best option for me, no rush as theres loads of games coming out at the moment, so even if i got one right now doubt i would use it much.

Was reading about it also and it sounds cool, and I've sort of decided that the cable on PSVR2 is just a deal breaker (I hate controlling the camera with a stick in VR, it's just shit and ruins it for me).

That said, I can't actually think of anything coming that justifies getting one. San Andreas VR seems like vaporware, and PCVR is dead. I'd probably just end up using it for Skyrim VR mods and not a lot else

Biggest thing I've seen is the Walking Dead native quest versions look a lot better, and it would be cool to play those games like that rather than tethered wirelessly to PC. I've struggled to get into them due to that. It's a lot of setup for a really difficult to play game

Im not too bothered about the wire, but maybe thatll change once ive tried one that doesnt need the wire! Shame to hear not much is happening on pcvr, ive sort of ignored it for a while thinking id get back into it with a headset upgrade. Also yeah agree there isnt much in the way of new killer apps, i still want to play re4, and the piano AR thing looks cool.

IGN have a vid of this new AC VR game

Looks technically impressive for a mobile chip, but still a bit 'automated' like a lot of AC games. At least though the climbing is manual in VR

Only available on the quest headsets tho, no PSVR or PCVR versions at all. That's disappointing cause they could push something like this a lot harder, PC anyway. Such a shame PCVR kinda just died

• 4 weeks later...

If anyones after a quest 3, Very have 20% of your first credit order, so i ordered one, feeling a bit mixed on it, its a good saving, but very are supposed to be crap so hopefully dont have any problems with it, and also not that fussed about playing anything on it right now with so many other games to play.

Sorry if this isn’t the right place for it but the Quest 2 is available for £200 at the moment. I shouldn’t really be spending anymore money at the moment but that seems a really good deal. What do we think? Or should I just hold off and buy the 3 when I’m a bit better off? 

I would wait for quest 3, because Meta have pretty bad form for just dropping support for older systems

Quest 1 didn't get RE4 for example. Even at that price cut I'm not sure you'd get your money's worth, if you are hoping for support into the future that is. Might be an easier recommendation if you have a powerful desktop to tether it to 

Wait for Q3, also wait to see what the software support is like tbh (will we ever see San Andreas?)

IMO