passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rock Band 4

spatular

I guess the thing was people peaked with games, songpacks & instruments in the 360/PS3 generation - and there was an initial faff around whether instruments were compatible on PS4/XBox One (think they ended up producing some sort of adapters ?) and then licencing meant you couldn't transfer back catalogues etc - so I guess most people just mostly ignored it all.

Yeah, I remember playing RB2 and RB3 a ton, but some transitional stuff on the hardware & software side just stopped me from going forward with RB4. I also got rid of all my plastic instruments when I moved, which is something I semi regret (should have kept one guitar). It's really cool to see this got so much support over the years, but this news is also pretty much the curtain call for the last 'proper' Harmonix release.

You could transfer licenses to some extent as i have a shed load of songs on rb4 but most are from previous games/dlc purchased on 360 games, that was all so long ago i cant remember how it works now mind.

yeah i didnt realise they were still releasing dlc, will have a look through see if theres anything i want to get.

When RB4 came out it was sort of trumped by Activision with Guitar Hero Live, problems with Guitar compatability and all previous  DLC was promised to follow over which ended up taking a long time, but they delivered in the end.(minus Rock Band Network), but only the hardcore would stay with the game.

I was all in on Rock Band from the start, exported all available discs over to the next game, Rock Band 1, 2 & 3 Rock Band Blitz, AC DC, Green Day, Track Packs and so on, ended up around 1000 tracks, had also done the same with Guitar Hero and all the disc exports there.

Theres been hope of new instruments lately, been requests for Instruments for many years on the Rock Band Facebook page, i thought there was a decent chance of this since they got new owners, music selection of late has been poor, mostly modern stuff from the last few years with the odd goldie oldie, 

On 18/01/2024 at 16:52, AndyKurosaki said:

it’s quite pricy.

Sickeningly so. You're looking at around 500 vbucks per song. 1000 costs £7. So £3.50-ish each. For what's currently Rock Band Blitz.

Yikes. Fuck that, then. When I heard Harmonix was doing this content for Fortnite, it made me interested in that game, for the first time ever.

That price scheme killed my interest immediately. In the words of Mr Horse, “No sir, I don’t like it”. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm...!

Anyone planning on picking this up? The strum bar reminds me of the GH World Tour guitar which I didn't like at all (too easygoing). I've always had the best experience with the GH3 guitar, so if this is closer to that I might get this and Rockband 4, as I'm kind of missing those games.

(Sidenote, but some dude will absolutely play through Elden Ring with this now that it comes with an analogue stick.)

Thinking it may be on my list as said bedore been wanting to play for a while. 

With 2nd hand instruments going for stupid prices this is prob enough to sway me to get one of these, only prob still cant play the ps3 guitar hero games. 

I’ve recently been thinking about GH and RB and how much I’d like to play them again for some reason. So I’m definitely interested in this depending on price. I’d also need to check if I can still transfer the older tracks to 4. I stopped at 3 so never did it. 

Also got the same concerns as Mary regarding the strum bar. I hated the soft RB guitar strums. It genuinely ruined the experience for me. I could complete 99% of tracks on expert with the GH ones but I’d struggle with doing them even in Medium with the RB guitars. The GH3 one was best but World Tour was ok too. GH Live was a good one too but that obviously wouldn’t work with the classic note track. If the strum bar on this is soft then it’s a no go. 

^ i saw a video preview thing and (don't take this as definitely true but) it did look like an RB style strum bar (soft/quiet). i don't mind either type personally. (edit - i'm talking about differences between RB and GH guitars, Maryokutai is talking about differences between gh3 and ghwt which i'm not that up on)

i'll get a new guitar definitely, as a backup.

another edit - i think if you've already exported other games to work with RB3 then those songs will still work with RB4, but if you didn't export RB3 then it may well be too late for those songs.

Yeah, I've actually never owned any RB peripherals, only the games. When the first RB came out it was both super hard to get that stuff and there were also reports about faulty drumsets, so I waited for the next thing which I think was GHWT.

I just realised there was a bit of a preview in Nigel's post and, eh, some red flags about the strum bar certainly popped up. Like spatular mentions they say it's both light and almost soundless, which for some people might be a dream, but I'm one of those maniacs who only strums downwards, even on very quick charts, so I absolutely need the tactile feedback.

Will wait for some impressions. With a bit of luck some local retailer might have one to try out, but I'm not really getting my hopes up for that.

• 1 month later...