passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Children of Morta

Sly Reflex

It's starting to grow on me now. It bugs me that I can't go back to earlier in the game armed with what I know now.

Next session I'm going to take the two guys out and try to clear those infestations living in the houses at the bottom of the road, Maybe tie it in to taking a 3rd person out so I can walk them through the house as well and have a bit of safety in numbers.

I've got it down to a fine art now raiding houses. I pick a house I've not been to, back a truck into the drive, empty the place as well as I can into the truck and then drive back.

I notice there's a bar under my home, I take it when that gets to the bottom invasions happen? How do I patch it up?

I built a garden area and a workshop, so now I'm getting food and my weapons are getting repaired. I'm finding different guns now in various places.

I'm not sure how you managed to overlap safe houses, Nag. I made a couple south of the house I'm in now, but apart from that I've not seen the option to make any others. Sometimes the circle comes around a building I've cleared, but it normally fills back in after I've driven away from it.

I'm starting to miss missions as well due to my general scrounging around for things. I'm guessing all you have to do to see the end of the game is survive long enough? Or are there key missions where you need to trigger and complete to get an ending?

It's a real curio this game, there's nothing quite like it really. It's borrowed from loads of different games to make a totally unique one.

I'm going to have to move, I've got more people than I know what to deal with now.

I've also just gained friendship with one more person so it's getting a bit easier to rotate the guys I'm using and keep them all well rested. I think next session it's a case of going for a drive and climbing some towers to recon the areas I've not been through. I think it's best we move as soon as we can because for some reason 1 or 2 zombies are getting into the compound, nothing that can't be handled by the people living there while I'm away, but worrying none the less. I can't see any option to repair the church either, so fuck knows how you go about mending forts once you're in them.

I have a garden set up in the church, will I still get food from it when I move on? I noticed that some outposts give me stuff just for having them, so I thought it'd work the same for the church when we eventually leave it?

Dead into this now. It's rough as fuck in places though.

I moved into a house south of where I was. I looked at the truck stop but couldn't afford to defend it. I think once I get a few more people join me I'm going to move there, it's only a matter of time before some more people join me now.

Story wise I'm up to...

the part where those hillbillies just killed those 3 people at Jurassic Junction. There's some shit going down with the military and the local councillors as well.

I think the game is forcing my hand to go back up to the area I started the game in kick things into the next set of missions. I've been putting that mission off because I know the bridge is out and walking up there, we'll who knows what sort of shit I'll bump into while I'm on foot? At best it'll be a few wanderers. at worst it could be hordes or even those fat cunts that take loads of damage before they finally call it a day.

When you say you get resources from a building, do you get more resources than if you just bagged them up and took them back yourself? I'm actually running really low on construction resources, so I think I'll do that if I get more in the long run on top of scrubbing any hordes that stray too close to that particular building.

It's a good game this, but someone needs to sit down with the devs and tell them where they totally fucked up parts of the game. For a start just categorizing the mission would be a god send, I already know the lookout points are done, all I ever get from going up them now are sighting of freaks. Maybe break them up into threads and colour code them so I know I'm either working for my guys, the military or the councillors or whatever. Some GTA style GPS would be nice as well, when you're running hordes over sometimes it's easy to miss a turning, a GPS system would go a long way into stopping shite like that happening. The fighting would be better if they added a little bit more batman into it, it's almost impossible to say when you're going to get hit, I'm not asking for massive reversals or counters, just a fair bit of warning that I should be tapping dodge to avoid getting bitten. When you're in a house and it's night time and you're fighting incoming waves it's almost certain that you're going to get jumped from one angle or the other because you can't see what the fuck is going on due to poor lighting and crappy camera angles. It's not a case of "Oh damn, that zombie got me because I wasn't paying attention" it's more like "Shit, that guy just grabbed me through a fucking wall that I couldn't see through and took 1/3 of my life off!" I don't know about anyone else, but I sort of feel cheated more often than not when it comes to taking damage, a thick end of the damage you receive feels like full on cheapshots. Similarly they need to make the player do very specific actions to progress so that they know what each thing does. Specifically making you clear an infestation and explaining why it's good to do this, making you make an safehouse, making you make an outpost and explaining the benefits and finally making you fight each of the freaks so you understand what you're up against, instead of them just appearing in missions as mobs and usually wrecking shit.

Just scrap the way missions are done now and get someone in that can design a mission structure that isn't as messy or as vexing as this one is.

It needs better voice acting as well, damn, this is some of the worst voice acting I've seen for a while. Some of it isn't bad at all, but there's parts that are just laughable.

It's the game that really you need to play more than once to understand how it works. I'm pretty certain that the guys that I left because I either thought they were shitty missions or by my mistake got them killed would be in my compound now. I'm not sure I'll ever get back to it though, because backlog.

Co-op would really tie the game together, maybe even a persistent game where the game runs 24 hours a day and people who you are friends with can dip in and out. Think of it as a shared save where sometimes you'd get on and stuff would have happened that might not be to your liking. Maybe sometimes you'd have a friend playing while you were playing something else and get a message calling for back up so that an infestation or some other similar problem.

I take it you don't know the history of Jamestown?

I'm already at the last level, although I need to replay some shit before it'll unlock. I like this, but not enough to spend hours and hours score chasing.

The Charge Ship is a boss wrecker.

Octodad is octodone! Was pretty good, although not something you'd want to put a lot of time into. It's not a long game, but then again it doesn't outstay its welcome, a lot of games could learn from that.

Next up, The Ship.

If you've played any of the Assassin's Creed multiplayer, it's the same concept - you're after someone and someone else is after you.

I think that other games have taken the same idea and improved it, like Bloody Good Time (made by the same team) and Spy Party which isn't finished yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to kill this and move onto the next game, I just don't feel it at all and it's stalling the aim of this thread.

I drew Darwinia just after I played so I could get it installed because I knew The Ship wasn't going to last long after the initial play.

That's Darwinia down. Yeah, I liked it. It was good for what it was.

Next up is Don't Starve. I've actually played this before, but it was still in development so half the stuff was missing. It's also unfinishable so I'll bang a few sessions into it and then move on.

• Sly Reflex changed the title to Sly's St(r)eam Tombola Thread: Children of Morta