passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Comic Book Thread

hinn888

Well one of the good things about the current X-book run is how it is collected. The run starts with House of X/Powers of X. Then each subsequent volume contains all issues of various books in a predetermined publication order. For example, at the back of this book is this:

02X.jpg

Placing the current issue you're reading within the overarching narrative. The trades (under the banner 'Dawn of X') adopt this same format.

I was thinking more along the lines of characters appearing that I've never heard of and such. It's overwhelming just to think about these massive universes and where to (re-)start so I just tend to avoid it altogether unfortunately.

That's one of the reasons I tend to stick with certain characters/series. Hulk, Punisher, X-Men. Normally, because each tends to exist within their own bubble. I was also interested in Cosmic Marvel years ago, before MCU-creep began.

I'll give an example, relating to your point. One book I'm currently reading - Hellions - actually features three characters I only really know of by name. Empath, Nanny and Orphan-Maker, respectively. Wild Child, I only know of from Age of Apocalypse. Lastly Scalphunter, I only know because I read Mutant Massacre several years ago.  They are basically brand new characters to me. The mainline X-Men book can feature upto 25-50 talking characters and some, from the last decade or so, I've never heard of (EG "Pixie").

Marvel doesn't expect you to, though. Start anyone of these books from their newest issue #1/jump on point and they will keep you upto speed on what you need to know.

Transformers-King-Grimlock-1-Cover-A-by-

KING GRIMLOCK BEGINS!

Grimlock, the beloved powerhouse T-rex with an attitude and one of the strongest Cybertronians in existence, finds himself magically transported to a world of fantastical beasts and strange powers! In this savage world, where the strong rule with sword and iron, Grimlock finds a new opportunity to prove he’s the strongest there is… but as Grimlock and the human barbarian, Arko, will learn, sometimes brute strength isn’t enough.

Maybe one for you @Nag?

• 2 weeks later...

Around May my bank card expired and I had to get a new one. Then it was the usual routine of updating different accounts and subscriptions and the like. Well, my comic book sub didn’t update properly, so when payment failed first time, they held on to it for a month and tried charging again. Which means now I’ve had 2 months of comic books come through all at once

E5yk8ICWUAAt8e7?format=jpg&name=large

E5ymniFXIAQK9JY?format=jpg&name=large

That’s what £206’s worth of comic books looks like. In case you ever need the reference. 

Ow, my bank ?

I was going to compare cool imagery between Hulk and Berserk. But in the case of the latter, it would be far too spoilery for Dwarf. 

So, how about that time Hulk had guns?

5832432-5105155894-hulk-.jpg

My favourite comic coming out right now is the Beta Ray Bill comic by Daniel Warren Johnson. It’s not only an awesome comic but it’s even more impressive because Johnson’s writes and draws it. The double threat.

The story springs out of the current Thor comic where out of rage Thor smashed Bill’s hammer so he can’t transform anymore. Which makes Bill really depressed because he is stuck in his horse form. There is follow up where Bill loses a fight and Thor comes in and saves the day. So Bill is belittled as well. Bill then goes on a mission for the Twlight Sword as he is told this is the only magic powerful enough to heal him.

I give it points for the story using continuity to start. It loses points because the X-Men just had the Twlight Sword in X of Swords and Odin in this comic is shown to be relatively powerless and hanging out at a dive bar, while in the Thor comic Odin is fighting in battle armour. So loses points for discrepancies. But whatever. Comics. 

The story is great, the writing is great, and the art, well. Where do you start?

FfUVX5glXh-9ppYauNHw5q9lFol_cjGWSAf3nKQV

Nearly every page in this comic is amazing. I’m not even sure how to describe it. It’s grimy, and punky, it kind of feels very 90’s with how hyper detailed it is but more unique and styled than 90’s books were. 

It fits the story so well, too. This comic has good jokes and big moments but is more just marinating in hurt and being lost. The fact that Bill’s biggest pain is he is so ugly and how messy but beautiful the art is. Perfect match. 

This book is fucking killer. Marvel have some good comics out right now. But this is the one. 

I’m just going to throw up some more pages because it’s so cool

Spoiler

6c8QjxGF4Q7WkTNF_bCbd-4wliX3K2p-Tc3w6sul
iVpJ7cTe2L6sx87shmQTy-VylTMDIPter1m06nB7
KstXv-y_mn4IEf5nRVsRLqDS1GpyzEUVDK1d24u2
ZhUFYhu2RkqE5mSe1aWq4NJjR4Z8VEc7uBlIT-ao

nJq1DEvuzNfHfJ3p1Xd_awPHvXtr-BXs0Ng2bzQJ
lJg9MKM4HFwL8qtncLbIxzuXojWQpl2A3wqNvNgJ

wLtoOs_Qm8bDd0azsyMTwpZgFvAyFQfzi-au1P1i
z16p2nlvj2i1fmZeUxrQhCbOwU1O7M4CZF348qMg

It’s up to issue 4 of a part 5 story right now. I know there’s not many comic readers on here but I give this a huge recommend. The big thumbs up ? 

• 2 weeks later...

In Immortal Hulk #47 the Avengers get called in to have a rematch with Hulk. Thor uses his lightening to burn Hulk’s arm off. But as Hulk is now immortal and regeneration power is in overdrive he regrows his arm around Thor’s head and almost chokes him to death. Thor flies through space, so not sure why he needs to breathe, but apparently so.

bAquxEr_ZxbNKkMF2avecIESLDHjp8-I4yLOyoyG

TNVogySLTyBCtlcPLXoy-1C1Q_nVyMOEtR5sV11K
jSO7ca2JbyDWXOGzwscyGmyF8nK7-KW262iZe84b

Look at Panther trying to get Hulk’s arm off Thor’s head in the last panel. That shit looks funny to me lol. 

I wasn’t going to bother but it is Spider-Man day so here is one of my favourite covers.

clean.jpg

At first I didn’t like it because the colours are weird and I thought the ‘Amazing’ being broken up didn’t look good. I quickly came around, though. I love the symmetry where his wrists just cross the gaps in the AMA. The upside down dive into the city has a sense of power to it. Leaping in head first. And even though I didn’t like the way the title was done at first now I really do. It stands out that it isn’t just Spider-Man, it’s The Amazing Spider-Man. 

This is probably my favourite bit of Watchmen. At least when I think of Watchmen, this is what comes to mind first

evil-must-be-punished.jpg

It’s dark, twisted, pulpy, fucked up. I really like that, but I’m unsure what I like about it. Whether I agree with the philosophy or admire the conviction. It’s extreme but I like what he’s saying. Because I also believe that there are absolute evils and hate people that protect it. People like to pretend the world is made up of shades of grey, and that is true. But actually there is also absolute evil which should stop being excused and treated correctly. Obviously Rorschach is crazy and lives somewhere between a comic book crusade and the Purge movies. But I can’t say I don’t like something about it.

One of the reasons I really like superhero comics in general is the escapism to a place where a basic moral value system exists. Which is sad that morals and good people feel fictional and refreshing.

It’s why I like Rorschach the most in Watchmen. His speech pattern is fun, but also every one else in the comic is trying to tart up evil and protect it instead of trying to be better. But Rorschach is unshaken. Even in the face of Armageddon he will not compromise in this.

He is both the scariest and the most good character in the comic. 

6 hours ago, Maryokutai said:

And that Hulk-arm thing is gross!

Immortal Hulk definitely takes the character back to his body horror roots.

As for Watchmen, issue #4 was my hook. Dr Manhattan was my favourite throughout the whole thing.

1c3710006a84cbfd25c2081f052498cf._SX1600

As the line goes, he gained so much power he forgot what it was to be human.