passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Luigi's Mansion 2

illdog

I seriously hope this game ends up in best of the year lists. It's fabulous. I was a bit skeptical how this would work on a console without 2 analogues (Yes! That argument again!) but they've really made it work. I'm grinning ear to ear every time I play it, everything is worth exploring and tinkering with because there's so many secrets.

I'm loving the risk reward mechanic they put in with the poltergust too. Trying to fill the bar so you can squeeze every last ounce of gold from encounters makes me want to replay each level in a score attack way.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to find the word to sum up Luigi's Mansion 2 and I think I've got it. It's tiresome. It's not a bad game, the core gameplay is fun, but it never lets you get going, it's just an exercise in game lengthening. The first task will be simple, get in to the mansion, but the entrance will be flooded so you need to drain it. Once you've done that rather than go in to the mansion you'll be teleported back, Start the next level and instead of being allowed to go through the door you've made available some ghost will steam the door knob or something and so on and so on.

I think I'd prefer it if it just said that there's 4 parts of the dark moon in each mansion plus a boss fight for the 5th level

• 4 weeks later...

I finished this tonight. There's still plenty of stuff to do so I'll probably dip back in whenever I don't feel like playing anything else. Some of the secrets must be really well hidden as I've turn those levels upside down in most cases.

I can't really fault that much of the game. Like Ben, I didn't really feel the stop start nature of it, but when I was laid in bed I could power through an episode in 20 or 30 minutes then go to sleep. I can see why then went down the route they did, but it'd have been nice if you could just skip the parts where you get dragged back. I'm thinking there's some hardware limitations in there somewhere too, stuff where levels change dramatically by putting objects or whatever in the way might mean it was impossible to do it seamlessly.

I pretty much enjoyed the game all the way through though. There were only two parts that made me close my 3DS in frustration, those moment being fighting the glamour squad and that stupid fucking ghost train. I really disliked the ghost train part, not one bit of that fight was enjoyable.

I wouldn't mind playing the co-op part of the game, it looks like it's all randomly generated floors you have to race up or something.

I don't know which DS game to move onto next. I've DKC and Fire Emblem waiting to be played.

Luigi's Mansion will be the last game I ever finish on my launch 3DS as it's become defective. The battery pins have come loose and the spring has totally gone in the connecting pins. I'm a bit pissed off about it really, but when you consider that that 3DS has covered over 20,000 miles and being walked everywhere I went in Texas, and covered every time I've left the house in the UK, it's had a pretty OK innings. From now on it'll be used primarily as a second way to streetpass as long as it can stay turned on.

• 4 months later...

I fired this back up again as part of my 2014 'finish old shit' project. I have no idea why I stopped playing, i was only half way through the second mansion. On to the third now. I quite like the slow pace of the game, it fits Luigi very well, him being scared and all so I'm just creeping around and exploring and letting level progress just fall in my lap.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll finish this tonight I rekon.

I think I might have to agree with Ben, this is a little tiresome. It's not that I haven't enjoyed what I have played, it's been good fun for the most part and its packed with invention but there's just too much retreading of old ground for my liking. You go through the same rooms doing the same puzzles before you are rewarded new stuff to do. And despite it being a relatively short completion it still feels just a touch too long, like maybe one whole mansion too long. I definitely prefer the one big game design a la the original - I was able to hammer the original in big sittings, I can only handle Dark Moon in bite size pieces, maybe a couple of levels at I time before I want to turn it off.

I cant state this enough though, this is still a really good game and should be experienced, there's just a 'but' is all. I'll finish it first then offer an illdogs final thought.

Yea, I had another whole mansion to go. A stupidly tiny piece of moon is still missing. The last mansion is actually the best mansion, its a good layout and the game is much more up tempo and benefits from it.

That said, it does feel like it's dragging things out for the sake of it now. Just did a stupid train boss, thought the next level might be the last boss but no, they made a stupid thing happen (I'm being intentionally vague) that involves me trudging around doing things I spent the whole game doing but now with a time limit. I just want this to finish now tbh.

One more thing: why does Luigi get stuck in strafe mode when he charges his torch? It makes combat unnecessarily clunky.

Finished it. I am glad I went back to this, honest, I just thought it went on a bit. Last boss killed me right when it was a 'next hit wins' situation. It wasn't a hard fight, it was more... annoying. Pissed in his face second time around and was treated to a jolly little ending that made everything better.

No way I'm going back to get more gems and Boo's, this is going back on the shelf for as long as the shelf remains. Kinda fancy playing the first one again tho, that's an old itch I've yet to scratch. Luigi's Mansion 3, if ever there was such a thing needs to revisit the formula of the superior original.

• 9 years later...
  • 8 months later...

There didn't appear to be a news thread for this so games thread will do. 

But I was interested in what this looks like compared to the original and what the potential is for other 3DS games 

I think the upgrade is undeniable. The character models look much better, some of the environment looks a little less great but obviously still a big improvement.

Even though it's more remakes, I think the more they move all Nintendo games to one platform is good in the long run. Especially with all the talk around emulation and preservation recently. 

Even though this is not either, I suppose, because it seems like mostly a remake - it's not the original version. But eh. I think I care less about that and just having all the games in one place. 

My 2 remaining questions are what are the possibility of other DS/3DS games getting this treatment, and what does it mean with Switch 2 around the corner? If they continue to remake/port the older handheld games over, will they be of even greater quality or about the same? 

I dunno. But the idea of having Pokemon X/Y, Mario 3D Land and Ocarina of Time 3DS looking this good on a Switch...oooh, that sounds really good to me

The only downside is the loss of 3D, which was a really unique and awesome look for some of these games. LM2 is a good example, actually. The diorama effect complements a game about searching rooms amazingly well