passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

MFGamers Indie Game-a-month

radiofloyd

I'm still putting my 10-15 minutes into To the Moon each day, if only all games were this easy to play in small doses! I completely agree that it's not a great "game" but it's enjoyable for what it is.

La Mulana has recently been released on GOG which is good news...i have no idea if Playism were ever going to put it on sale. Retro City Rampage has also recently been released which i'm sure we'll get around to! And Hotline Miami is out next week, another retro-styled game that looks ace.

Well I've been waiting for Retro City Rampage to hit PSN but it seems to be in the same Europe limbo as the new Counter-strike so I may just get it off Steam instead (and that would free up my PSN money for Tokyo Jungle).

I have Hotline Miami on pre-order off Steam so I can do that.

The thing with La-Mulana it could go both ways in this thread. For one, it has the same anecdotal stuff going on that Dark Souls has... All sharing experiences and finding the right way to go and play. It's a game that riffs off the old style of playing games, by being stuck and telling your mates about it in the playground at school and finding a conclusion with a little help from some kid's big brother.

It's a paper and pen type game like Fez only much more cryptic and hard arsed Castlevania style action. It's a hard aresed game. If we do it, we've gotta do it.

Well I've been waiting for Retro City Rampage to hit PSN but it seems to be in the same Europe limbo as the new Counter-strike so I may just get it off Steam instead (and that would free up my PSN money for Tokyo Jungle).

I have Hotline Miami on pre-order off Steam so I can do that.

The thing with La-Mulana it could go both ways in this thread. For one, it has the same anecdotal stuff going on that Dark Souls has... All sharing experiences and finding the right way to go and play. It's a game that riffs off the old style of playing games, by being stuck and telling your mates about it in the playground at school and finding a conclusion with a little help from some kid's big brother.

It's a paper and pen type game like Fez only much more cryptic and hard arsed Castlevania style action. It's a hard aresed game. If we do it, we've gotta do it.

Yeah, i've read that it's a 30-40 hour game. Might be more suitable for the summer months? Unless someone is bursting to play it. :)

not to be too negative, out of how many people who voted for it (was it 6 or 7?) have actually completed To The Moon this month? Did anyone complete World of Goo last month? People may have done them in the past, and more might complete To The Moon this month, but I'd suggest the track record for this thread indicates a 30 hour game might be a bit optimistic :lol:

I put 7 quid on that bundle, despite probably never playing most of them.

I agree that a 30 hour game might not be the best idea at this point.

I'm also going to suggest that we keep this thread for discussing future game choices and use the games folder for actual impressions. If nothing else it will make it easier to find them and then people can add to them at a later date easier.

Also I take back my suggestion for The Last Express for this thread, I'll start it up soon and fire up a thread on it. Might as well use this thread for more recent yet maybe not massively well-known indie games.

Hotline Miami has just received a 10/10 from Eurogamer, and also a pretty euphoric wot-i-think from RPS:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-23-hotline-miami-review

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/23/hotline-miami-review/#more-129035

I think that's bumped it up a few notches on the priority list! Anyone want to throw out a suggestion for November? I'm almost finished To the Moon, i'll post my opinions in the game thread when i'm done...

I moved the impressions in to their own thread last week

as for next month, I don't really mind, but I would like us to do Dear Esther at some point. The problem is that unless it goes on offer it's not all that cheap, although I do have a suggestion for Hendo if he can't run it

I'm all ears, Ben. :)

Also, how long a playthrough is To The Moon?

It's been a while, so i don't entirely remember, but I think it can't be much more than 4 or 5 hours?

I believe Hotline Miami is also available on Mac? I intend to play it this week anyway, so not really bothered if it's picked.

Home is quite an interesting little short story, completeable in one sitting (actually... I think you might have to complete it in one go. But it's under 2 hours long, so not too big an issue) . I've heard some parts might change depending on your actions. I don't know how, so it would be interesting to see if it was different for other people.

I went Hotline Miami as I'll be playing it anyway this month, or at least I will when they fix controller support for the Steam version.

Honestly couldn't imagine playing this with a controller. The mouse cursor plays such an integral role to how the game works that a right analog stick wouldn't be able to handle it in the same way.

I went Hotline Miami as I'll be playing it anyway this month, or at least I will when they fix controller support for the Steam version.

Honestly couldn't imagine playing this with a controller. The mouse cursor plays such an integral role to how the game works that a right analog stick wouldn't be able to handle it in the same way.

True, but I can't use WASD for shit.