passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Gravity Rush

spatular

so where to start - just done the first boss and enjoying it anyway.

i read somewhere this being described as a bit like crackdown - which it sort of it with the open world orb collecting, although there isn't really much skill involved in collecting orbs so far as you can fly anywhere you want. so it's like open world but there isn't many people/things to interact with but what you can interact with is clearly marked on the map and easy to find. the environment is like a play area for the flying/missions/challenges.

the flying/gravity shifting is the main different thing about the game and it's really cool - you press right bumper to float then again to make whatever direction you're looking at the way the gravity works (lb cancels back to normal gravity) so you fall in the direction you're looking and then can do stuff like run up the side of a building. this all works pretty well - I'm a bit crap at it at the moment though crashing into people/buildings/lamp posts all the time. when you do this it affects stuff all around you so you can fling people/dogs all over the place which is pretty funny. and you can make a stasis field to carry stuff about with you. carrying people about is pretty funny too.

the combat I'm finding a bit hit and miss, the flying kicks are cool. using status fields to pick up and throw stuff i'm finding tricky. on foot combat is a bit rubbish, as is swiping the screen to dodge - and another touch screen based move I've just learned - might just take time to get used to it though. not sure touch screen stuff is going to work so well when you already have loads of other controls to deal with alongside often being upside down and stuff, we'll see though.

there's some side missions which I've been finding quite tricky - checkpoint races and killing enemies in a time limit etc, I've been doing the minimum to pass them but if you do better you win more orb things - which like the stuff you collect in the world you can use to upgrade skillz and stuff - so this (and getting better at the controls) should make it easier to do better at the side missions/challenge things.

the story missions have been pretty good so far - varied so you're not always doing the same thing - well it seems like that anyway even though most of it boils down to fighting and flying around following stuff etc.

it's charming, the music is great. graphics and the style of it looks really nice.

so is this the vita's killer app? it's certainly interesting and is like nothing else available on other systems. would anyone buy a vita to play this?

so anyone else get this? (there's a few people with vitas on here so I'm guessing yes?)

so is this the vita's killer app? it's certainly interesting and is like nothing else available on other systems. would anyone buy a vita to play this?

For me, it is the Vita's killer app, and yes I bought one recently mainly for it.

I've put 15 and a half hours into it now, not finished it yet but I'm not rushing it...I've been exploring and scouring everywhere for gems and focusing on gold-medalling the challenges (gold-medalled about 10 of them now). I don't think the anti gravity feature takes the skill out of collecting gems much, bearing in mind that it's not infinite...as soon as you hit the R-button to float (and for the entire time you're not in 'normal' gravity), the blue gauge in the top left of the screen starts going down and once it empties gravity just reverts straight back to normal and you fall like a stone until your meter recharges itself, plus on a couple of the later story missions you get problems like a much shorter gravity meter and at one point you lose the ability to shift gravity altogether for a while. I found the mandatory touch screen/gyro controls a little annoying at first but once you've mastered gravity sliding (and you will, with practice) the challenge races become much easier...you can save literally 30 or more seconds on some of them if you learn where the checkpoints are and use the Gravity Slide to get around rather than flying/falling through the air with gravity shifts.

I really like the sheer sense of freedom in it, I've never really experienced that in a game before, never quite felt that you can literally 'go anywhere'...sure, there are still barriers at the edge of the game world, but you know what I mean. I think the gyro controls are brilliant for it as well....in other games I've played like Starfox 64 3DS and Mario Kart 7, I'll never use them but here when you're floating around in zero gravity it feels like the most natural thing in the world to move and aim at where you want to go next by moving the Vita itself...you can adjust the camera with the right analogue stick too, but it feels cumbersome in comparison.

All in all, I'm massively impressed with it. It's the kind of game that I'd happily shovel praise onto if it was a main console release, let alone for a handheld. Hopefully it's had decent sales too...I'd guess so, since the Vita's not exactly awash with must have games at the moment.

plus on a couple of the later story missions you get problems like a much shorter gravity meter and at one point you lose the ability to shift gravity altogether for a while.

yeah those bits can be really tough. i thought it was a good twist till the

boss on that bit (would have been a lot less annoying with some sort of floor below it)

where i sort of wanted to throw the vita out the window.

congrats on getting golds on the challenges. only ones i seem to be ok at are the sliding ones.

still not really getting on with the controls during fights, it just gets a bit too fiddly and i can be all over the place.

still really liking the game, although i may sound a bit negative, pretty much everything else about the game is great imo. great music, graphics, story, likeable characters etc. the controls when floating around and exploring are really brilliant and different from anything else.

Just finished it! Awesome game. The challenges do get a lot easier when you're levelled up, just went back to one of the first fighting ones and got gold easily, really struggled to pass it first time round. I did have the odd frustrating moment with the controls when fighting as mentioned above but everything else is so great it was well worth sticking at it through those bits. I enjoyed the story, it's probably bolocks but even through minimal story/text the characters come across as really likeable, and they mix up what you have to do well too keep it from getting repetitive. The challenges are Mostly good fun too.

I'm not sure I'd call it a killer app as I wouldn't buy a new console to play a sequel for example but it was one of the games that got me interested in the vita and it's definitely offering something you can't get elsewhere.

Was thinking about getting the dlc, anyone tried it? it was free from some places I think.

• 1 year later...

I got this free from our friends at PS Plus.

Only played the first two chapters but I like what I have played, the floaty mechanics are very easy to take on board. I like the feel of the game, the town is like the grounds of a giant castle The comic book style story boards are quite cool, as are the anime graphics and the music has been real nice too so far, looking forward to spending more time with this. It will be my bedtime game, hurrah for bedtime games. Misses watches shit on the telly, I play this.

I don't think I'm having as much fun as you guys.

I had high hopes for this game, thinking it was some Vita killer App, but it really isn't that. It's one of those 'cool ideas but not that great' games that the Wii is riddled with, but this doesn't have enough of them to justify the reputation

But that's just from the hour or so I've put in.

But it may just be me. For some reason, pretty much every third person game I've played lately has been a headache for me: Nier, Demon's Souls, Killer is Dead, Max Payne 3 and something else that escapes me at this point in time. What all these game, including Gravity Rush, have in common is gameplay that includes 3rd person camera control but also some kind of shooting mode... this is a problem for me.

When I'm controlling a 3rd person camera it only makes sense to me if all the controls are inverted, but in these games if you do that it also puts shooting mechanics in inverted and I don't want that because that's weird.

So what that means is.... fuck it, it's too hard to explain. Essentially I'm having a real hard time with the camera with this game and it's fucking up my enjoyment when navigating the areas.

And the combat is pretty awful due to the swipe to dodge mechanic, and it's just not satisfying. You can tell major compromises were made to incorporate these shitty controls as enemies do fuck all, but what they do do is hard to dodge and combat is reduced to pathetic nonsense.

Maybe moving around is cool but it's just a pain to me dues to camera issues.

I was really looking forward to playing this but man, this isn't what I expected. I expected better from a game that was at one point 'the game' to get for the Vita.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this yesterday.

I have to agree this is not the killer app for the Vita, its a good game but it's no reason to rush out and buy a Vita.

Controls wise, I got used to them the more I played it, I had an awful time with gravity at first, I always felt out of control but you get used to it, it was second nature by the games end. I didnt really have a problem with the swipe mechanic for dodge but I almost exclusively attacked with the Grav Kick, i rarely fought with my feet on the ground. So power that bad boy up and fight in the air.

I cant remember the name of the special move, its the one you have to press up and triangle to use but when that was fully powered up (or to Level 5 at least) it made combat a piece of piss. Even the final boss fell to it. It takes a while to charge up again but if it didnt you could just spam it and the game would be no challenge at all.

I did like the character of Kat though, I like the mix of innocence and extreme power. Raven was cool too. Nice and naked.

So yea man, yea. I liked it. I don't think I can be bothered to go back and do all the challenges and what not but I shall definitely purchase the sequel.

• 3 months later...

Just got this on PSN+ for free last night. Reversing while floating was a bit tricky for me to master at first, but I got the hang of it now. Just played the first two chapters and it's It fantasic.Not sure why I waited for so long to play it.

I think I'm going to fork out the money for the DLC missions/costume packs to show support for the title.

That's what I did, got the game for free and bought DLC because I enjoyed the game. Well, i got the maid one because that's the natural pervy choice. I'll get the others at some point, they are a nice little distraction for an hour.

Found out there is a sequal in the works for PS Vita. Hopefully some news will come in two weeks at E3. I really hope Sony down the line collects both games and DLC in a PS4 collection. Kat deserves to be in 1080p. I absolutely adore her that I picked up the DLC packs and the DLC pack for Hot Shots Golf that makes Kat a playable golfer.

The stealth parts of chapter four were a bit tricky at first. I kept getting spotted by the po-po and then I relized its a linear predetermined path you must follow. it was easy peasy after I figured that out. I left off at the start of chapter five.

The way chapter four ended with Alias referring to Kat as Queen defo can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

While I do think Gravity Rush is a masterpeice of gaming goodness I'm not a big fan of timed missions or boss fights. I saw the game over screen six times before I saved Echo from the Nevi due to me not being able to saving her before the timer reached one hundred.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just done the Echo fight. Nag, I hope you've got nerves of steel. I've not felt any frustration at all since I started playing, but that part of the game felt like it was doing it's best to grind my balls. I think maybe you'll feel the same as well.