passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Star Fox 64 3D

spatular

so yeah this arrived yesterday - early from zavvi which surprised me. i've played through the new mode once and the N64 mode once, couldn't tell much difference, it says the new mode is optomised for gyroscope and circle pad controls. not tried the gyroscope controls. i thought i'd played this at least a bit back in the day but it must have been the snes version i played as i don't really remember any of this. it's good fun. first run through i didn't really understand the free roaming sections - got on a lot better with them second time round. the aiming is difficult, it's not like rez or something where your cursor is exactly over what you'll hit, it takes the distance into account too. and sometimes your plane gets in the way.

it was quite easy but i suspect this depends on the route you take, first time all along the bottom i only died on the last boss, second time i found a different route and died a few times on one level. there's loads of different levels/routes but you can only access them by doing things in the previous level or something - i haven't really worked that bit out yet, apart from one level if you kill stuff within a time limit you go on a different route. and it saves between levels so you can turn it off and come back later which is nice - no idea if the n64 version did that.

also the tank rolling is cool. as is flying through hoops in the training mission.

and the graphics are pretty cool, landscapes look really nice, 3d works well.

so yeah - good stuff. anyone else?

I've skipped the credits a few times, so maybe that depends on the mode or something?

Sure it told me I'd get a medal if saved all my "mates" (I mostly hate them, the frog is an idiot and falco is a bastard) - I did :) and got nothing :( it was me who was shooting them most anyway.

Unlocked a few more levels but not always sure how.

This game is awesome. :D

Four missions completed so far, and I'm enjoying it a lot. Controls feel great, I'm not using the gyro stuff, just the circle pad and buttons. Graphically it is very impressive too, and the 3D effect is up there with the best on 3DS.

• 2 months later...

I really thought I'd like this, I loved the snes one way back when, which was the last Starfox game I played I think. Anyway I didn't really take to it, enjoyed the first level, quite enjoyed the last couple, but the lava and tank levels are poor. The lava one would be alright were it not for your health constantly draining and the controls.

The controls as odd, there's very little to go wrong with them, and they're perfectly responsive and all that, they just dont seem to suit a lot of situations. I think it's because they bounce back to centre when you release the analogue, meaning you line up a shot, fire, are starting to creep past it, so release the stick a bit, then it swings back. Which is the other problem, there's no middle ground with the controls, it's either slight precise movement, or your cursor tears across the screen.

It looks great though, the 3D works well. It's not awful by any means, but I'm not sure the fun I had with it outweighed the frustrating moments

• 2 years later...

Was supposed to be alone for the night last night and was going to hammer some DmC on the PS3 but the missesseses plans got canceled so I let her watch her shit on the TV and fucked around on my 3DS. I was just in the mood for some Lylat Wars, no idea why, so I fired her up.

Firstly I used to love this game on the 64, I played it for hours and hours so I have my rose tints firmly in place and they are unshakable. Personally I still think it's a great game after all these years and now with even better controls. But that I mean the 3DS stick as opposed to the N64 stick, the gyro controls can fucking do one.

I love the cheesy dialogue and hammy story, I know exactly the sort of game I'm going to be getting. Its a score attack game, its all about trying to string together combos, holding out from shooting your charged laser at an enemy in case others join his flight path and up your score by 2 or 3 or knowing that you have to shoot quick or miss out on a cluster of enemies completely. Its the type of game that gets better the more familiar you become with each level, to get the most out of it you need to put some time in.

I'm not sure I'll spend as much time with it as I did back in the day but I certainly plan to give it a good bumming.

I finished a run through on Easy yesterday. No real problems, only died once on Andross before I remembered what to do. They've given him a nice face lift, he looks alright but not pretty enough for me not to smash his face in with hot laser fury.

Started again looking for new routes. Did the first two levels as normal but this time I defeated the Star Wolf team on Fichina and disarmed the bomb which diverted me to Solar instead of Sector X. Solar is a sun like planet full of waves of lava, your health constantly decreases so you need to shoot molten rocks that spit up from the surface as these contain silver rings that give you energy. The boss was a bit of cunt, he killed me three times before I beat him mostly due to the small amount of energy I had when I got to him but also due to this massive wave of lava he sends at you that I couldn't figure out how to dodge.

Solar leads you directly to McBeth, another tank level. I remember shitting myself when I first played this as a kid, you have to follow a train through the level and blow up some of the carraiges before they dump rocks on you, I coudn't believe how awesome it was. There are 8 switches that are alongside the track that I'm sure are the key to the alternative route but I could only find the first seven. Back to the regular route again for me.