passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Summer of Arcade 2011

Tomahawk Rob

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ipWM-RnO9LI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6c87QUqGdHo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WKt5MPZ54aU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mkdAssf3kJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MuHIvSgDF7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Haven't got Kinect so can't play Fruit Ninja but will try everything else. I'm keen on trying Toy Soldiers as the first is great.

ITSP does look kinda cool but it reminds me of Pixel Junk Shooter which I didn't really get along with. Don't know why, just didn't click. From Dust also looks great but again, god games just don't click with me. With both of those it may be a rare 'try the trial' situation.

Bastion I've been looking forward too so that's the only cert for me.

Haven't really been keeping up with most of these but ITSP looks stunning! That'll be a dead cert for me. From Dust also looks really cool, and Bastion too. So the chances are, I'll be getting the lot, bar Fruit Ninja.

Is there still a noticeable lag on Kinect? If there is, I can see problems with the type of game that Fruit Ninja is.

So how much is Fruit Ninja on iOS? It's probably going to be 800 points on XBLA. Not really my cup of tea, even if I had the kit to play it.

I remember being really intrigued by the videos for Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet when it was touted as a PC game back in 2007 or 2008, but then it disappeared. I'm glad to see it finally coming out in one form or another.

I'll give the trials for ITSP, From Dust and Bastion a go. I expect they'll all be priced at the £10 mark.

Therefore presuming they're any good... how many I buy (if any) depends on finances, backlogs, what incentives they're doing, which way the wind is blowing etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Bastion (Supergiant Games/Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment) - 20th July - 1200 Microsoft Points

From Dust (Ubisoft Montpellier/Ubisoft) - 27th July - 1200 Microsoft Points

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (Fuelcell/Microsoft Studios) - 3rd August - 1200 Microsoft Points

Fruit Ninja Kinect (Halfbrick/Microsoft Studios) - 10th August - 800 Microsoft Points

Toy Soldiers: Cold War (Signal Studios/Microsoft Studios) - 17th August - 1200 Microsoft Points

And as ever, purchasing all five Summer of Arcade titles will entitle you to a bonus, in this year's case you'll bag yourself a copy of Crimson Alliance - worth 1200 Microsoft Points - absolutely free when it releases on the Xbox Live Arcade on September 7th, 2011. Lovely!

I think I'll just get Bastion off the bat, I may try the others out and consider them when they are DotW.

I think there are better games coming out around the same time that aren't part of the summer arcade. There's Ms 'Splosion Man, Retro City Rampage, Spellunky and maybe even Fez (well, it was last time I heard).

• 3 weeks later...

If you want Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja Kinect, you may as well wait

The Gunstringer to be Bundled With Fruit Ninja Kinect

Written Friday, July 22, 2011 By Richard Walker

View author's profile

Shooting and slashing its way into stores this September will be Twisted Pixel's retail debut The Gunstringer, which will now come with Fruit Ninja Kinect in the box, adding some extra value to the package with a bit of Halfbrick's fruit-slicing action, all priced at £29.99 in the UK.

Assuming control of the titular marionette, you'll platform jump and shoot your way through some fun and competitive Wild West action in The Gunstringer, grabbing collectibles, unlockable items, rewards and new abilities. As well as getting Fruit Ninja Kinect in the package, you'll also get as a special bonus, a free DLC add-on pack called 'The Wavy Tube Man Chronicles'.

In this add-on, you'll battle the time-travelling Wavy Tube Man's son (Wavy Tube Man Sr. pictured below), following on from the first boss battle in the game. Wavy Tube Man Jr. attempts to travel back in time to prevent his father's demise at the hands of The Gunstringer, meaning you'll fight cowboys and futuristic warriors as you take on Wavy Tube Man Jr. and prevent the world's end while you're at it.

The Gunstringer will be launching with a Fruit Ninja Kinect download token in the box on September 16th, which is also out on the Xbox Live Arcade from August 10th for 800 Microsoft Points. And if you pre-order The Gunstringer, you'll also get two tokens for a free XBL Avatar item.