passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

SEGA Rally Online Arcade

retroed

This is up on Marketplace now, 1.22GB.

Bizarrely, SEGA Rally has been removed from Games on Demand. To avoid confusion, I guess?

EDIT: according to RLLMUK, this runs at 30fps, and is just a cut-down SEGA Rally Revo. I'm still going to try it.

EDIT 2: bought. shit trial, mind.

So it is based on the 360/PS3 retail version then?

Couldn't stand the handling on the 2007 console version, and single player was stupidly hard stupidly early. Despite all that I had fun online with a couple of times because the shit driving affected everyone equally. But generally it's probably the most personally disappointing game I've bought with my own cash this generation.

I'll give the trial, but not expecting much.

One of the worst trials I've ever played. One car, one course, one lap!

It does seem based on the last disc game, yeah. I figured it would be and people would be disappointed, but it is only 800 points.

I won't be buying just yet.

To be honest, if you have the retail version of this then i really cant see the point in you buying this, its just a snipped down version. I cant remember if the available courses are exactly the same but it sure feels that way at the moment.

What it has done is confirm my love for the retail version and as its younger sibling of no specified gender i welcome SROA in to my warm embrace.

And i'd just like to add - 5 online races, 5 victories. B)

I dont have the other version so I bought it :) I really liked Sega Rally on the Saturn and am really enjoying this.

The desert track is the best racing track ever - I love it. I got my five live wins on there as well

It seems like they've turned off the terrible road surface deformation from Revo. It makes a huge difference now the road isn't trying to kill you all the time. They've possibly tightened up the handling too it doesn't feel so skittish, but that might just be a side-effect of making the track surface driveable.

It's very promising. The length of the trial is a joke though.

was thinking it'd be a good plan not to buy this yet with dirt next tuesday, and it'll be in a sale soon enough but who was i kidding? bought it as soon as the trial ended :awe:

edit - don't know why i got it, never got the hang of the last one, and this seems pretty much the same, not sure they got rid of the track deforming completely, it might still be there, i can't tell. the handling completely baffles me, how are you supposed to go round the corners quickly? (i guess learning isn't helped when there are barely any corners you have to do anything to get round, first track basically has one corner)

the handling completely baffles me, how are you supposed to go round the corners quickly? (i guess learning isn't helped when there are barely any corners you have to do anything to get round, first track basically has one corner)

I just go hammer and tong at the corner, push into the direction of said corner and tap the accelerator. This makes you slide a little, then i make my ass hit the opposite wall in such a way where it pushes me in to the straight. Thats what i lkike about Sega Rally these days, you hit walls and you bounce! Dunno if that makes any sense, sorry.

My hitting walls technique is more for the 90 degree turns, for medium turns i just use the accelerator tap (release trigger then press trigger super quick).

Also, if you play manual gears just try shifting down once then quickly back up again. Personally i find this game horrifically dull with automatic gears.

Does it handle like a rally version of Outrun? I've never played a Sega Rally before *shame*

personally i don't think it handles anything like outrun, but then i don't really understand the handling in this one, revo, or sega rally 2, they have odd "sega arcade" handling or something. the original has more understandable "normal arcade" rally handling imo and is awesome to the max.

good point about the gears illdog, i'll have to try manual gear flicking thing, that would be a bit like outrun.

had another go at this, tried one of the simple tracks with 2 corners where you have to do anything and followed the #1 ghost around, i couldn't really work out how it was pulling away from me, but i got a better time than i had before anyway and got better at the starts. then on the hard track i was trying to follow illdog's ghost, it was about 9 seconds faster than my current time, and illdog's first lap is a bit all over the place, but the next 2 he just clears off and i couldn't really see what was going on he was too far ahead, you're already pretty high on the leaderboards fot that one illdog, get a good first lap and you'll dominate! and stuff. i was trying to just floor it and hit the corners on the right angle ones as recommended but there must be a trick to it because it usually made me slower. also tried pumping the throttle, that seemed to help but do it too much and you lose far too much speed. so overall still pretty confused by it, will stick with it till dirt arrives though, to try and make it click.

also noticed the surfaces making a big difference, on the hard track the corners with the mud are really hard to get round.

edit - oh yeah what i worked out for the starts was hovering the needle just above the red zone, then full power when it says go, wait for the needle to get the red and change up, the next few gear changes are really fast just get them over with quick, then when you get to 4th wait a bit till it's around the red zone before changing up, that was still a bit slower off the line than the number 1 guy though so if anyone else has any ideas for the start?

I play manual gears and when i start i instantly wack it up to third, i always seem to pull way ahead then.

Just going back to corner taking, i played this for about an hour on Sunday and paid attention to what i was doing. The mechanic of cornering in Sega Rally really is all about taking the corner early, tapping the accelerator and pressing hard in the direction of the corner - honestly, its that simple.

I use the patented illdog "ass bounce" to get round real hard corners, i shift down just as i go into the corner to help accelerate away. The ass bounce also helps if you undershoot a corner, just turn hard into the corner and make sure your back end hits the wall as opposed to the side of the car.

Got the full 200 points on this now. I couldnt unlock two cars, i think the Andorra Racer and some Icelandic Buggy. Upon reading internets, Andorra Racer is unlocked by doing (not beating) the single player Championship with each of the 6 original cars, and Icelandic Buggy thing is unlocked by beating a Staff Ghost in Time Trials with each of the 6 original cars.

I cant even win on Lakeside yet! I get there with quite a sizeable lead using MT, but as soon as I start the Lakeside race the other car just speeds of into the distance and I never catch him up :(

I 200G'd this last week, and had massive enjoyment in doing so. It's a quality game to have on the HDD to dip into now and then. I can definitely see me returning to it when I want to play something for ten minutes. I went with bonnet cam FTW. I sometimes use external on arcade rally games, but with this it really feels like you're on a pivot and moving the scenery around you. I couldn't get on with it at all. Regarding the gears, the first three or four you move up really quick at the start. I tend to just change when the red shift light appears on the tachometer.

Stoobie, if you're having trouble on Lakeside perhaps try to block the other car from the very start, and try to keep him behind you using the CPU marker... maybe?

you're already pretty high on the leaderboards for that one illdog, get a good first lap and you'll dominate!

Was that Lakeside? My online Lakeside time was 16th, the guy at number one was less than a second infront of me. During that course my misses started talking to me and i crashed, i rekon if not for her mindless gabble i would have been number one. :(

you're already pretty high on the leaderboards for that one illdog, get a good first lap and you'll dominate!

Was that Lakeside? My online Lakeside time was 16th, the guy at number one was less than a second infront of me. During that course my misses started talking to me and i crashed, i rekon if not for her mindless gabble i would have been number one. :(

oh man, unlucky! sorry not sure what they are called, it was the hardest track, it wasn't the first or last one, they're easy, and it wasn't the snow one...

thanks for the further tips too, i'll try and give it a go tonight, but after tonight i can't see me playing it for a while. really looking forward to dirt :D