passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Wii U

Hendo

This seems a bit impractical to hold but it solves a problem if you need multiple touch devices for the WiiU (I still think the 3DS will work with it)

Nintendo has patented designs for a touch-sensitive add-on to the Wii Remote.

The accessory would enhance the Remote with a tacked-on touch pad that juts out from the base of the controller.

Design documents unearthed by Siliconera demonstrate the add-on working with the Wii, although it would be a very late addition for Nintendo's now ageing console.

It would however be the perfect solution for extra players on the Wii U - allowing those not holding the system's single tablet controller to get their own touch screens.

Internal schematics show the device works via a small mirror, which reflects infrared LEDs triggered by players' touch gestures. These in turn are translated into position data.

periscope.jpg.jpg

Huh. And ugly add on, like that second nub thing for the 3DS. Oh, Nintendo.

When they showed it at E3 they seemed to suggest that there would only ever be one WiiU controller per system and regular Wiimotes would make up the other players for multiplayer, and multiplayer games would be designed around that, which sounds kinda cool.

But this is maybe for ports of 360/PS3 games with local multiplayer? I dunno, I'm just speculating but it sounds messy if they do make it.

rumour time. I post on a football forum that is locked to the public at large along with a guy who either owns his own dev studio or is fairly high up there. He's been pretty open about a few of the things he's worked on, seems fairly reliable, and he's spilled a few beans, though possibly nothing major

Officially no one has a wii-u dev kit, but plenty of people do, including his team. Nintendo have found a way to simulate a 2nd wii-u controller but it's not ideal (so possibly that patent above) I've asked him for a bit of clarification, if he says any more I'll post but he might just tell me to fuck off.

The third thing, and this is more worrying, is that the console is not as powerful as a 360. According to him the cpu is fine but the gpu is poor. Seems odd to me, I think it needs to be at least as powerful as a 360 (by at least I actually mean slightly above), however talking to a lower level dev I know he thinks the lack of power might be due to the controller, however the guys wording was specifically the the gpu wasn't very good

Hopefully he's a. wrong or b. right but they stick a better card in there before release

• 3 weeks later...

More fun specualtion that's isn't for lakitu.

They weren't kidding when we said we could expect Xbox 360-like experiences out of the Wii U. If this information from an unnamed Japanese developer is true, it puts the Wii U near the power of an Xbox 360, and maybe even makes it a bit more powerful.

Here are the specs according to the source:

Quad Core, 3 GHz PowerPC-based 45nm CPU

768 MB of DRAM “embedded” with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU

Unknown, 40nm ATI-based GPU

Wii U Daily says that this comes from a developer that is currently porting a PS3 game to Wii U. The same source says that Nintendo has been testing two versions of the console, one with 768 MB of RAM, and another with 1GB. This RAM is embedded with the processor.

As always, take this rumor with a grain of salt.

I dunno if this validates DMAN's source but yeah, CPU and RAM and shit. It has it.

• 4 weeks later...

WiiU to have an App Store!

Nintendo’s next game console, the Wii U, is months away from launch, but its touchscreen controller is already turning heads — and The Daily has learned that Nintendo plans to implement a full-blown app store for the system.

Nintendo currently maintains repositories that act as “light” app stores: The DSi Shop for its portables, and the Wii Shop for its current console. Most of its apps are games and basic utilities like Mario Calculator. The Wii U’s as-yet-unnamed store will go far beyond this, proffering a wider variety of apps, said a person familiar with the matter.

Wii U owners will be able to use apps that operate on the Wii U itself, such as MLB.TV, and others that run independently on the Wii U’s controller. Given its tablet-like design and 6.2-inch screen, it’s not hard to imagine being able to check email, browse the Web, post to social networks and even get some gaming in.

It’s unknown whether Nintendo plans to monetize its app store with a points system, which it currently uses for WiiWare and DSiWare, or with a more Apple-like pay-to-play system.

Making games consoles more akin to media hubs seems to be the way to go. I hope they do something interesting though, and not just animated fireplaces and a vast catalogue of clocks and calculators like what turned up on WiiWare/DSiWare.

• 5 weeks later...

It's not about teh graphix!

Nintendo is happy to avoid getting bogged down in an expensive tech race against its rivals with the Wii U, so says CEO Satoru Iwata.

Speaking during an investor Q&A last week, Iwata suggested that, although its new console will offer some titles featuring high-end visuals, the company plans to compete in other areas instead.

"As we will showcase the Wii U at E3 in June this year, the detailed announcements must wait until then, but we are aiming to make a system which shall not be forced into competing with the others where the contenders can fight only with massive developer resources and long development times as their weapons," he said.

Iwata added that Nintendo has always adopted a 'size isn't everything' approach to software development, and that will continue with the Wii U.

"Looking at the software for home console systems, there are certainly the software titles for which very rich graphics must be reproduced on HD displays and which demand a large number of developers to spend a very long time to develop.

"It is one of the truths that a certain number of such software titles must be prepared, or the consumers will not be satisfied. But we do not think that any and all the software must be created in that fashion.

"When you look at Nintendo's software, extraordinary rich graphics, massive gameplay volume and astonishing rendition effects are not necessarily the appealing point. It is, in fact, important for us that our games are appealing in other ways as well."

He offered Nintendo's quirky Rhythm Heaven series as an example, insisting that, "if we had adopted rich photo-realistic graphics, it would have lost much of its appeal."

"It is not necessary for us to deploy a huge number of people in order to develop such games," he continued, stating that, more than ever, Nintendo is bringing in third parties when it does need to develop more graphically complex titles.

"When we need massive power and have a lack of internal resources, we collaborate with outside resources and pour necessary resources to where they are needed. We are increasing the frequency of working with outside developers where Mr. Miyamoto and our internal developers alone used to develop.

"What's important here is not to narrow down what we can do," he added. "Rather, we have to create the dynamic range of appeals that the consumers can appreciate."

Iwata pointed to The Legend of Zelda series as one franchise that will certainly benefit from the the Wii U's additional horsepower.

"As I mentioned, it is true that, in some software areas, we need to be engaged in the power games," he reaffirmed.

"Take The Legend of Zelda franchise, for example, the fans must be looking for the graphic representations that they do not see as cheap at all when the title is released for the Wii U. When it is necessary, we do not hesitate to role out our resources."

As confirmed last week, the Wii U will be on shelves before the end of the year. Neither Microsoft or Sony has made any official comment as to when their new systems will hit the market.

Stop me stop me oh-ho stop me, stop me if you think that you've heard this one before.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Wii U to release on December 7 for €349, according to French retailer

Wii U will release on December 7 for €349, according to French electrical retail chain FNAC, which us currently accepting pre-orders for the console. The firm is also displaying noticeboards at its Montparnasse branch advertising the release date. Earlier this week, Video Product Distributors, the company which supplies Amazon and Blockbuster with stick, listed the console for a November 11 release. Nintendo is hosting a Wii U press event in New York City on September 13, and many feel a release date and price will be revealed at that time.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/06/wii-u-to-release-on-december-7-for-e349-according-to-french-retailer/

Money willing, which it isn't looking like it will be, I'd probably get one just for the sake of it. There's not a lot else out this year I want, certainly very little that would be a big expenditure. That said there's precisely 0 games for it I want, so would probably just pick things up to use on it.

I am interested though

Can't see me getting one on launch, due to money and time problems. I haven't got the time to play the mountains of games I already own as it is!

Having said that, there probably won't be a load of games worth playing on launch anyway, same as when Wii launched it was just Zelda and Wii Sports really.

I'd like to get one, but it's a money thing and I doubt I'll be able to get one on release. And on top of that I think if I did have some money for a new console the smarter move would be on getting a 3DS since it's built up a catalogue now and I'd have more to play, then probably pick up a WiiU when it has been out a year or so.

Nintendo announces stuff in New York

Tomorrow we'll find out how much the Wii U will cost, and what it will come with, and when we can buy it. Finally. Or, at least that's what we're expecting.

Nintendo is just calling it a preview event, but they've invited a ton of media to New York City, so we think it's a bigger deal than they're letting on. They're saying to expect "new announcements," so it could really be anything, but we're betting on a final price and date.

They're streaming the event here - http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu?om_rid=AACHuC&om_mid=_BQUJHeB8t6NEIR at (I think) 2pm GMT.

If I remember I'll be looking in.

Nintendo just won e3, in September.

Bayonetta 2

I certainly saw more than enough to wet my appetite. Missed the first 30 mins though so waiting for the replay.

hahahahahahahahaha!

thats ridiculous.

edit: as is anyone watching any preview thats 40 minutes long.

edit 2: ok, im a bit ridiculous - the japanese are brilliant! no western games hardware company would do somehting like that.

edit 3: ok, maybe i want one now a little bit.

I don't think it's quite the same situation as those two as it is being published by Nintendo, where as those were still Capcom, I think. Though Last Story was published by Nintendo here and Japan but another did in the states so I guess it's down to what the small print is.

I'm sure SEGA had the opportunity to publish the second and I guess they didn't go for it.

It can go three ways.

It sells like shit and gets buried forever.

It seels OK and ends up on other consoles through either a publishing loophole. Would probably appear on the download services.

It sells like hotcakes and Platinum Games become 2nd party devs for Nintendo.

Bayonetta 2 is big news! No wonder it's over shadowing everything.

yeah, platinum's other game, The Wonderful 101 is certainly something I'm interested in and ZombieU could be the biggest dark horse in gaming for ages - well probably since Demon's Souls, actually.

And I'm a general platformer and Mario fan so Rayman: Legends and NSMBWiiU are high on my list too.

What about the NintedoTVii thing? Seems like a cool thing to consolidate all your online subscriptions and regular TV in one place and adding a social network element which doesn't seem too intrusive.