passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Cannon Fodder 3 announced!

Hendo

Codemasters has this morning announced the surprise development of Cannon Fodder 3 for PC and Xbox 360.

Jon Hare, creator of Cannon Fodder, appears to have nothing to do with it. He was last spotted talking about getting Cannon Fodder on iPhone.

Instead, Codemasters has hired unknown Russian developer GFI for the job.

The blurb tells of an evil military alliance by Europe, Asia and Africa that you must stop. How? With a teensy squadron of cannon fodder soldiers.

"Cartoon violence" is mentioned, and it sounds as though you'll even take the fight out of the Earth's atmosphere and into space.

Also noted: "isometric 3D environment", "weather effects", "change of time", "destructible environments" and "physical water".

There's no date.

Russian developer GFI, founded 2003, has previously worked on The Precursors, White Gold, Warfare: Reloaded (which not only sounds like Modern Warfare 2 but also has strikingly similar box art) and Who Said Meow?.

Sounds a bit iffy.

I did read a few days ago that Jon Hare is looking at making either (or both) Cannon Fodder or Mega-Lo-Mania for iPad/iPhone which would work really well, especially on iPad. I never played Cannon Fodder but I put so many hours into MLM on the Megadrive and that was a rented copy that I should've just bought but I kept renting it every couple of weeks.

So far it's looking more like Jim's second picture than the first.

Codemasters don't have much to do with it other than giving the IP to the dev, and there are no current plans to release it outside of Mother Russia.

Cannon Fodder 3, from unknown Russian developer GFI, is currently set for release in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) only.

Codemasters told Eurogamer this morning that GFI's plans for distribution and release outside of Russia and the CIS "have yet to be announced".

"In 2008 Codemasters licensed the Cannon Fodder IP to GFI for a one-title project," a Codemasters spokesperson told Eurogamer.

"Under the agreement, GFI is designing and developing a new game based on the series for release in Russia and the CIS territories. Codemasters understands that GFI's plans for distribution and release outside of Russia and the CIS have yet to be announced."

Could go either way. The idea of playing Cannon Fodder with a pad is horrible, I played the hand held version on one of the Gameboys and it was fucking horrible. Mouse FTW on that front.

The SNES, on the other hand, worked really well on the pad. Good old SNES, is there nothing it couldnt do?

And whatever you say it cant do, i'll say it can. Just so ya'll know.

I did read a few days ago that Jon Hare is looking at making either (or both) Cannon Fodder or Mega-Lo-Mania for iPad/iPhone which would work really well, especially on iPad. I never played Cannon Fodder but I put so many hours into MLM on the Megadrive and that was a rented copy that I should've just bought but I kept renting it every couple of weeks.

if this does happen i think that very soon i'd have to get some sort of portable apple device, I used to love megalomania on the amiga back in the day

Could go either way. The idea of playing Cannon Fodder with a pad is horrible, I played the hand held version on one of the Gameboys and it was fucking horrible. Mouse FTW on that front.

The SNES, on the other hand, worked really well on the pad. Good old SNES, is there nothing it couldnt do?

And whatever you say it cant do, i'll say it can. Just so ya'll know.

It cant do what SEGA does that Nintendont

Although I agree, MD and Snes versions worked really well. And for some reason this has reminded me of that Advance Wars cube game that was massively disappointing

• 1 year later...

I saw the story on Eurogamer saying "look what they've done..." and the comments said the same as what I thought - that's not bad. It actually looks pretty close to how the originals were, you'd need a non-sped up proper gameplay trailer though to see it properly.

I watched a few videos of it and I think it's terrible. Stylistically I think it looks wank. It's sort of messy and cluttered. The objectives look fucking ridiculous. There's one bit I've seen where they are attacking a walking tank, and there are other boss fights that look as retarded and far fetched. The movement looks horrible in some shots, I presume these are being played with a pad. The gameplay looks all action. This was not the case in the first 2. The soldiers have health bars. Why did they do that. That means you have to spray enemies down and just hope you don't take too much damage. Pretty much every mission in Cannon Fodder had you edging along making decisions on the fly on how to best the situation without causing casualties to your squad. One enemy with a bazooka could really fuck up your day in Cannon Fodder. Everything was a danger that could rub you instantly from the level. There's no way that you could face off against these bosses they have without spoiling the concept of the game.

There are things I did like, the destructible scenery was a nice touch. The fight on the back of a submarine was a sensible way of doing a boss battle too. The graphical touches such as debris falling from the sky and explosions were nice. I seriously don't think it should have carried the Cannon Fodder name though, that's some heritage that it wont live up to. If they had called it something else then I don't think people would have been as disappointed. I'm actually thinking the same about the Syndicate reboot. If they had called it something else and said they took cues from the original game then people wouldn't be so pissed off with the whole concept.

http://spong.com/article/26310/Cannon-Fodder-3-Gets-UK-Release

Just when you thought it couldn't possibly get released over here... an English language version of dodgy-looking Cannon Fodder 3 is now available to buy from online game distributor GamersGate. It costs £19.95!

The game was developed by Russian developer Burut CT after publisher Game Factory Interactive licensed the IP from Codemasters. The existence of this sequel to the Bitmap Brothers Amiga classic surprised many when it was released domestically last year.

It was thought that the game was never to see light of day over here due to licensing restrictions, but it turns out that Codies simply had first refusal on any publishing rights to the game in the West. It refused. So GFI went ahead anyway.

So GamersGate then. Go there, and enjoy, if you want.

Since when was Cannon Fodder a Bitmap Brothers game? It was created by Sensible Software.

• 5 months later...