passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The PC bucket...

Sly Reflex

Wasn't sure where to put this (didn't think it would merit enough interest for it's own thread).

I bought Savant: Ascent (http://savantgame.com/) today for $1.99 from their website.

It's an arcade style action/shooty game where you aim and shoot with the mouse and dodge left/right with WASD keys. You shoot enemies and collect CD pieces to increase your multiplier and move on to the next stage, while awesome music plays. If you collect enough CD pieces you unlock a disc that gives you a permanent upgrade/new ability and a new song that plays in game. I'm currently dying a lot because I'm too focused on my reticule that I don't notice the arrows that indicate you're about to get hit by a projectile until it's too late.

It's great fun for hardly any money, and the music is great.

it's also on Greenlight right now.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166110563

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Stein;Gate is a Japanese visual novel/text adventure game. I played a demo of the Japanese only Xbox 360 version a few years back and really enjoyed it - despite it being in Japanese. Well Stein;Gate is getting a western release on Windows and has been translated into English. No word if it will be up for sale on Steam or not.

Wasn't sure where to put this (didn't think it would merit enough interest for it's own thread).

I bought Savant: Ascent (http://savantgame.com/) today for $1.99 from their website.

It now for sale in the Steam store. I put it on my wishlist.

played a game called 9.03m It's about the Japanese tsunami from the other year, to quote the Steam page "9.03m is set on Baker Beach in San Francisco, where debris from the tsunami has washed ashore in the years following the tsunami. ". The game, such as it is, is to follow the dots to a ghost of a person, they turn in to an item, and you get a brief scene showing that the item belonged to someone and meant something to them.

It's a good idea, and the concept of finding stuff on a beach and having why it's there dawn on you is a pretty powerful one. 9.03m didn't really do a lot for me though, it seems a bit redundant to spend too long thinking about why it didn't, but I'd say there wasn't enough to it, it's not like Dear Esther or something where the discovery feels earned even though there's nothing to it.

It's only about £1.20 at the minute though with half of that going to charity, so it's commendable and the concept is thought provoking at least

• 1 month later...

I played through a game called Nihilumbra last night. It's a greenlight game that I think started out on ios. You play as a character that escapes the 'void' and enters another world, the void doesn't want to let him go and chases him destroying the land as it does.

The gameplay involves finding powers (one per area) that let you paint a colour on to the environment to give you a power. So the blue power will make anything on it move quicker, so ideal for sprinting away from something or leaping gaps, but also moving blocks. The brown is the opposite, it slows things down and lets you stick to surfaces.

It's a good little game, and it was really cheap on steam the other day. The only problem I have with it is the narrator, I get what they're going for but I hate his voice, it just sounds stupid reading some of the passages, I think the text in the background would have been enough

• 1 month later...

just played a game called 'The Plan'. It's on Steam and it's free, it's made by the people who are making Among The Sleep (the horror game where you play as a toddler)

You play as a fly and the only point of the game is to go up. It takes about 5 minutes and costs nothing so it's worth trying, but I can't say I got as much from it as some seem to have

You get to write something at the end, I wish I''d known what that was going to be as I've just written my name. Fortunately I'm not the only one who's done that. The end made me laugh, i hope that was the point rather than to examine the futility of life, but yeah, it's a cool little thing that looks and sounds nice

played about half of stealth bastard some time ago - went back and finished it the other day, enjoyed it, really nice puzzle/stealth/platformer game.

Man, I still have to get around to finishing this game. I think I stopped playing bastard around the time I got Spelunky. Will have to put bastard on my list of games to play for the week.

• 1 month later...

just played a game called Fingerbones, it's a horror game of sorts, more like an interactive story though. I've got a few issues with the controls, nothing game breaking, it just feels like your character has an enormous jutting forehead or rolls around in a ball, he seems to always get stuck on things he's not touching. Aside from that the game is pretty good, very short, with puzzle solutions and story being presented in notes, and one puzzle leads to the next.

It's an interesting story, nothing that will change your life or anything, but worth the 20 minutes it takes to play though

http://www.indiedb.com/games/fingerbones/downloads/fingerbones-windows-version

• 2 months later...

got a game called cloudbuilt in the steam sale, didn't really know anything about it but read it was like mirrors edge (but really hard) so had a punt on it - had a quick go earlier and it is exactly like that, mirrors edge but harder (although i only played mirrors edge on easy so who knows), its like a series of abstract levels with an odd graphical style, the controls are a bit complicated at first but it was starting to click after a few levels - and the controls seem good too so it was more my fault when i'd die. could do with more checkpoints - although you can collect and drop your own checkpoints. and it has enemies which im not sold on. theres hardly any floors to land on so messing something up often ends in falling to death, and it's not really clear how to get to the exit. anyway i liked it and will go back to it.

got a game called cloudbuilt in the steam sale, didn't really know anything about it but read it was like mirrors edge (but really hard

I picked it up too, but I played it last year at whatever they call the Eurogamer expo now, so knew what I was getting into.

It does feel very difficult at first, but I found myself getting into the groove by the end of the first stage. Then you start another stage and find yourself wondering how the hell you're going figure it out all over again. The basic mechanics are pretty straightforward, the difficulty is in working out how to navigate the obstacles as you get to them, and then having the dexterity to actually do it. It feels great when it all clicks into place and you pull off a tricky set of moves.

Mouse and Keyboard controls may be good at many things, but comfort isn't one of them. There's a lot of movement input needed, and my hand was starting to feel stiff after half a dozen stages. There's controller support, but the default mapping doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I gave it a try and although less precise, it seems like with some tinkering and getting used to then it could be do-able with a controller.

After many years of faithful service, my installation of Windows 7 Ultimate is gone.

This installation was originally a beta build, that got updated to a full build when Windows 7 was released. And it's been working all this time. That's how robust Windows 7 is. I used to re-install Windows XP every twelve months or so. But my installation of Windows 7 was getting a bit slow and quirky, and was only the 32 bit version. Also I got emailed a disc image and code for the latest build Windows 8.1 from Microsoft, so I thought I'd give it a go.

So now my trusty PC is running Windows 8.1. It's the first time I've seen it in quite a while, and it's much more manageable than previous Windows 8 versions I've used. I've got mine set to boot to desktop, have replaced the Start screen with menus, and left it at that. This version is the 64 bit version, so now I can buy Wolfenstein as the PC version is 64 bit only.

played some more cloudbuilt...did 2 levels ok, then the 3rd i tried was really hard, took me ages to get to the last checkpoint, then died there loads, and then i ran out of retries and had to go back to the start, really annoying, got quite good at the first parts of the level though and could get back to that last bit quite easy, did this a few times and still only once came close to getting lucky on the last bit, it's like some platforms you have to boost between while purple lightning hits them, i found this really frustrating and gave up on that level, but the game is sort of non-linear - opening up other levels around the map so i tried some of them and did a load of levels quite easily, but getting further on each branch and getting to harder levels in every direction and it's getting frustrating again. i sort of really like it, when you nail a section it's awesome, but it is a bit too hard imo, some levels have enemies, some to avoid, some firing at you, complicated controls/platforming, and there's multiple routes so its not always clear where you're supposed to be going - and worrying about running out of retires. all this at the same time can be a bit much. any/all of - more checkpoints, less enemies, infinite retries - would be a great improvement in some sort of easy mode or something. you can collect/place checkpoints in level and increase your number of retries by playing more mind.

played some more cloudbuilt and giving up now, stuck in all directions, disappointed as i really like the game but just don't have the skillz for it :(

played it any more Craymen? if so how are you getting on with it?

this is one of the levels i can't do:

this is more showing you how i am playing it:

I haven't tried that stage yet, that person's run was amazing. They're so much better at shooting stuff on the move than me, too.

I think I'm about 9 stages in so far. The last one I did had a messive downhill slide and jump, then lot of cimbing around a central vertical column to the exit. That took a few restarts, as I've currently only got 11 of the retry things.

I'm enjoying it, although the story bits aren't currently making a lot of sense.