retroed

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

I signed up for a LOVEFiLM trial yesterday as I had an offer where I could get a free £10 Toys R Us gift card. I have received my first game already, but it was from the low priority list. I had to stick ten games on the list to be eligible for the gift card (use code TRUGCE, add ten games and receive at least one game to get the free gift card), so Battlefield BC2 arrived today. Still I may as well get that cheeve for finishing the last mission on hard. I think Dead Space 2 on PS3 is shipping today, also on the low priority list. I want Killzone 3 or something else I put on the high and med lists. :(

I am thinking of going to a rental service, just to see what it's like. Boomerang seem to be good, has anyone used them before? They have priority packages which cost slightly more, but are meant to get you new games faster. The one I was looking at was either the Priority 1 or 2 packages, at £10.99 and £15.99 respectively. I don't see the point in renting if I am unable to get new releases as and when they come out.

Or I may just carry on as I am. I have built my 360 collection back up quite nicely, and I do like to own the games I love.

What package are you on, spatular? Do you get any new releases from them? Terms for the gift card say:

To receive your FREE £10 Toys R Us giftcard, you must validly register for the free trial, put at least ten discs in your rental list and we must have dispatched your first disc to you.

I guess that now they've sent my first disc, I can whittle down the list.

Ive signed up to Lovefilm about 2 months ago, im still within my trial period. Currently i have Donkey Kong Wii at home which i will keep for about another 4 weeks then will send it back. So far so good, film wise ive had 12 films im on the £15 a month as of April 2nd, which is 2 titles at home and any media, win win as im trying to cut back on buying dvd's and games etc..

What package are you on, spatular? Do you get any new releases from them?

i'm on the £10 a month one, 2 at home, 4 per month total. yeah i do sometimes get new releases but maybe if that's the only thing in the list, and even then it can be a bit of a waiting game. as i only get 4 a month i just stick exactly what i want on the list and wait it out, at the moment i'm not that bothered about any new releases so just have a load of films on there.

Yeah, the £10.20 a month for 2 at a time, 4 total, is the package I selected for my free trial. It's going quite well. I currently have Dead Space 2 which I got on PS3 so I could play through Extraction, and I notice they are in the process of packing Killzone 3. I have Homefront and Motorstorm Apocalypse in my reservation queue, and nothing else in my waiting queue, so hopefully I'll get one of those as my last game in the trial. I'm quite tempted to keep it going, there's a lot of games coming out that I'd like to play but not pay full whack for. Crysis 2, Duke Nukem, Mortal Kombat and the like. A tenner isn't really a huge layout if there's not much you fancy playing one month.

Yeah, like you say, it's a pretty good service for playing stuff that you don't really want to pay whack for, but also you don't want to wait until it drops to <£20...

I was on a 3 month free trial of the '2 at a time' package until last month, and played through 6 or 7 titles in that time, plus a couple of others that weren't worth the effort. I'm now on the cheaper '1 at a time' so that I can still play the occasional new release that piques my interest (currently have De Blob 2) whilst also working my may through my pile of shame (ie playing Dead Space atm). If there's any particular title that I want next (Bulletstorm), I'll just clear my wishlist down to that one game and patiently wait...

Dear RetroEd,

Thanks for signing up to LOVEFiLM. We hope you're loving the service.

Your free £10 Toys R Us gift card has been dispatched via Royal Mail to the address on your LOVEFiLM account. It should arrive within 5 working days, so please keep an eye out for it.

Yay! Homefront arrived today, also.

I've just started a 2 month trial for this, got a few films and crysis 2 and bulletstorm on the list, I've split my lists into films and games at the moment, each lists getting one disc at a time so that the movies can still flow whilst the games get played.

I'm on the 14 a month package so that I get the online stuff but at the moment I've not bothered with that so when it comes to either sticking with it or binning it then I might drop the online stuff, it's not full enough at the moment.

I only have Crysis 2 in my rental queue at the moment. :lol:

I was planning on adding Tiger Woods 12 and LEGO Star Wars III, though. I've got two lists now, so will put them in the second one.

Maybe we will both get it in a years time and then I will give you a game online. I'm going to whizz through star wars and take everything else off, it's a good service but I don't know how viable a replacement it is for buying games/DVDs at the moment.

It's totally viable for me. In the last month I've had Dead Space 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Killzone 3, and Homefront. Even if I only get a couple new releases a month, for a tenner it's still a good deal.

With the exception of silly cheap trade-in deals like how I got hold of Shift 2 for a fiver, I can't see me buying any console games until the big ones hit later this year with Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3, and Gears of War 3. I do have the Team ICO collection pre-ordered, as well. I'll still be buying 3DS games, obviously. I don't think I'll be renting these at all due to the saves being tied to the cartridge. And I've stopped buying for the Wii, I've even packed it away. I may rent Skyward Sword though, I've cancelled my Zavvi order for it.

Here's what I currently have on my reserved list:

• Mortal Kombat (21 Apr 2011)
  • Portal 2 (22 Apr 2011)
  • Virtua Tennis 4 (29 Apr 2011)
  • Red Faction: Armageddon (06 May 2011)
  • L.A. Noire (20 May 2011)
  • DiRT 3 (24 May 2011)
  • Infamous 2 (27 May 2011)
  • Duke Nukem Forever (10 Jun 2011)

Well Lovefilm made a slight cockup in my favour, i was due to pay my first payment on 1st April, but it didn't come out, just checked my account details and first payment isn't due until May 1st wahoo!! means ive had 4 months free rentals bargain!!

When i start up i will be on £14.99 a month 2 at any time and i can have as many as i like, just sent back Donkey Kong Returns and Family Guy season 9 disc 1, just wondering what i will get next, hoping for a newer game release.