passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Assassin's Creed II

illdog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Played some more of this, filled out my Florence map and collected the new treasures.

Question: For treasures that are located inside a house, that you can't drop into from above, where the only way in seems to be the guarded doorway, do you adopt any particular tactic? I could try drawing them away from the door and racing back before they do but...it's a bit optimistic. I think i encountered one of these before and just killed the guards. I only have my fists but they don't seem to be too quick to draw their swords... I think i'll try drawing them into an alley and killing them there because fighting them on the spot draws about 10 more guards.

Also found my first "truth" symbol. I couldn't figure out what they had in common by inspecting them (what does it say about me that i knew in advance i wouldn't be able to) so i just started trying them systematically and got the right combination after 15-20 minutes.

Still at 0/100 feathers though. I guess these are pretty well hidden!

Btw how the hell are you supposed to interact with the people who have arrows over them? (whores, mercenaries, random people playing dice)

Played some more of this, filled out my Florence map and collected the new treasures.

Question: For treasures that are located inside a house, that you can't drop into from above, where the only way in seems to be the guarded doorway, do you adopt any particular tactic? I could try drawing them away from the door and racing back before they do but...it's a bit optimistic. I think i encountered one of these before and just killed the guards. I only have my fists but they don't seem to be too quick to draw their swords... I think i'll try drawing them into an alley and killing them there because fighting them on the spot draws about 10 more guards.

Also found my first "truth" symbol. I couldn't figure out what they had in common by inspecting them (what does it say about me that i knew in advance i wouldn't be able to) so i just started trying them systematically and got the right combination after 15-20 minutes.

Still at 0/100 feathers though. I guess these are pretty well hidden!

Btw how the hell are you supposed to interact with the people who have arrows over them? (whores, mercenaries, random people playing dice)

Sounds like you're still early door to be honest. When you get a bit further in you can hire thugs or whores to distract them why you sneak in. It's worth playing a bit further in to the game before you start exploring as you unlock quite a lot of stuff quite quickly.

Question: For treasures that are located inside a house, that you can't drop into from above, where the only way in seems to be the guarded doorway, do you adopt any particular tactic?

These two things are so related, it hurts.

You have to target the whores (for example) - one of the triggers? Whichever button it is, then press a button (most likely the same as throwing coins) to hire them and direct them to the bunch of guards and they will distract the guards for you.

Question: For treasures that are located inside a house, that you can't drop into from above, where the only way in seems to be the guarded doorway, do you adopt any particular tactic?

These two things are so related, it hurts.

You have to target the whores (for example) - one of the triggers? Whichever button it is, then press a button (most likely the same as throwing coins) to hire them and direct them to the bunch of guards and they will distract the guards for you.

Hehe thanks, i think i need to reach a certain story mission first though. At the moment i'm not able to interact with them when i target them.

BOOM! Assassin's Creed II finished!

Overall I liked it. Think the story went on far too long, but I liked the effort and variety they put into it. Especially all the different cities. I had a bit of a lull in Venice, but that really picked up in the second half.

The ending:

I get it, I think. Being about the the first people which is something I've come across in a different medium. It's a cool idea that seems plausible within the context. I didn't like the fact it ended with, essentially, mama mia, whata the fucka isa going on! Didn't feel like a proper ending considering all the hours you have to put in to get there. Would have liked more closure. I assume it leads in to Brotherhood, but still would have liked a bookend.

I'd like to go back and find the rest of the Glyphs and feathers at some point. Not for a while though. On to Deadly Premonition!

I've been playing this the past few days, it's much more structured than the first game. In that you found a vantage point, uncovered enough jobs to complete the sector (or did all of them if you wanted) then moved on to the next day. I prefer the more linear structure in this one, although knowing what could potentially open up means sometimes being a bit unsure what's being asked of you.

Take for example the spire right in the centre of Florence, I can't as yet see anyway to climb up it. However, I've been underneath the tower opposite, which got me on the roof of that. Too far to jump across, so I assume at some point I'll go up through that spire thing. I wish there was a way to properly quick travel to destinations too, the actual quick travel system is pointless, you should be able to jump straight to the villa itself rather than outside its walls to get your money (or just have the money flow in). I don't want to give anything away but the armour you could potentially get, that's the same, am I going to find those parts naturally or will it require work?

anyway, good game so far, but I hope they learnt to dump the trekking across the map for the 3rd game

I don't want to give anything away but the armour you could potentially get, that's the same, am I going to find those parts naturally or will it require work?

Some work required, it's optional, but generally they are a fun diversion that won't take you long.

Made a little bit more progress, did the mission for Paola where you get rid of your notoriety.

I have all of the available treasures and truths so going to focus on story for a while. And 3 feathers, not going out of my way for them though.

I picked up a couple of codex pages for Leonardo but his house is not marked on the map. Are you supposed to remember where he lives or will i meet him again in the next location?

Anyway i'm enjoying the game, it feels like i have played it for a long time already but it's still only slowly crawling into motion.

Gameplay wise it's a very fun, if unspectacular game. I feel that the cut-scenes let it down.

I've got one more treasure to get, but it's an area surrounded by guards. I used the flying machine to get in during a mission, but that's not going to be an option again I dont think, so I suspect I can't get back in until a certain point in the story where I've killed the right person to stop it being a red zone.

Like Floyd I'm still enjoying the game, but it is too long for it's own good. I'm no where in terms of codex pages, and I can't see the game ending in the next couple of hours, yet I think I've done about 24 hours (which will be a bit out for times left paused etc). Anyway I'm in Venice and have not long since opened up the carnival section which is nice for keeping my notoriety down because people dont know how to walk whilst carrying a fucking box

I've got one more treasure to get, but it's an area surrounded by guards. I used the flying machine to get in during a mission, but that's not going to be an option again I dont think, so I suspect I can't get back in until a certain point in the story where I've killed the right person to stop it being a red zone.

Like Floyd I'm still enjoying the game, but it is too long for it's own good. I'm no where in terms of codex pages, and I can't see the game ending in the next couple of hours, yet I think I've done about 24 hours (which will be a bit out for times left paused etc). Anyway I'm in Venice and have not long since opened up the carnival section which is nice for keeping my notoriety down because people dont know how to walk whilst carrying a fucking box

Once you hit the carnival, you're into the final throws. Still a few hours left though. I'd be interested to know how many hours it does take, roughly. It felt like forever.

Back in Florence in ACII - you can clearly tell they were addressing the complaint of there being not much to do in the original AC... It certainly tugs at the completionist's heart... :lol:

That being said apart from them giving you the side goal of rebuilding Montowhateverthefuckitscalled, the game has reminded me of GTAIV in that every mission plays out in much the same way - not something you would complain about in a genre game like an fps or rpg - but you can't help but notice it in open world games for some reason.

It's funny how some games don't remind you of anything and feel unique, and some just constantly remind you of other games. ACII reminds me of Fable 2, Twilight Princess and even Dragon Quest VIII for some reason, games that i think it's comfortably worse than, but it's still a solid game. At the moment i'm getting an 8/10 vibe from it. It seems like the story will be solid enough and the side-quests will provide a regular enough sense of reward to keep me happy.

The combat is hilariously slight coming off Dark Souls but it does the job.

I'm not sure i'm behind the whole "hiding collectables in nooks and crannys" thing. I suppose you could say it's a reward for exploration - but is it really - since all it really does is detract from the exploration as you have your eyes peeled for glowing boxes, constantly dipping in and out of eagle vision. I mean, ACII is a beautiful game. I would (and am) more than happy to explore for exploration's sake. I don't need to collect 100 feathers and open a million boxes. Collectables seem to be a permanent fixture of open world/kitchen sink type games though. Red Dead Redemption was similar - the most fun i had with that game was the opening ten hours where i ignored everything in the game and just wandered around New Austin. The actual game consisted of repetitive missions and more collecting sidequests (that said it was a solid and occasionally inspired game that i'd also give 8/10, i hope we see plenty more Red Dead games).

I'm rambling - arrivecerci! :lol:

I finished this last night, I agree with Jim that it's far too long regardless of collectables and side quests. I'd say it manages to keep things interesting until the end, and maybe the ending I got was because I had the codex? I think it deserves it's place amongst the best games this gen, and it's mostly a well told story, and they did make massive improvements over the first game.

I'm worried about diminishing returns, I know Brotherhood is well regarded and I might well get round to it this year, but there's no way I'll be picking up Revelations