passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII

Sly Reflex

When I played through the game originally (back in the 90s) I used them a lot and was my go to attack. When I played through again last year, I'm not sure I even used them at all. I think I just focused on physical attacks and support magic. I did use a lot of enemy skills, but (as @bellow points out above) that came from already being familiar with the game and reading supplementary stuff, on my first play through I never touched enemy skill.

Most of the Summons you get by the end of Disc one are quickly redundant. I'm pretty sure by the time you have access to Ice 3, Fire 3 etc your stats make them stronger than Shiva, Ifrit et al. The two I mention though, have some longer term value. The one you obtain in the woods - Kjata -  is lightning, ice and fire Elemental. In essence, it replaces Ramuh, Shiva and Ifrit for the mid-game.

As for the one you obtain in the Mountains, that is the Holy Summon - Alexander. Trust me, no one finds Alexander without a guide, or at least a map of the mountains. Since the area is a maze and you will eventually "pass out". I believe Alexander works with Elemental/Added Effect Materia. But as it is the only offensive Holy spell in the game, it isn't very practical.

Off work sick, so I've given this a good hammering. To be honest I was ready for a big story beat, and I wasn't disappointed. Or was I? I don't know. What the hell is going on. Has Sephiroth been an apparition all this time? Is cloud a Sephiroth clone, with implanted memories? And don't turn to tifa for answer to that one, because she can't decide on the subject. Were they children together or not?

Feckin thing has gone haywire. But I'm happy. Why, I hear you ask? Because I have an airship. And everyone knows that when you get your airship the action gets notched up to freedom level. In fact if I could work out how to get off the bastard I'd be having a good old explore this very minute. 

Tifa reckons it might be a good idea to find Cloud, though. Like a love struck teenager that one. He's a clone dammit.

Yea this bit is confusing to you because it isn't translated correct.

I will tell you the bits that you are expected to know. Sephiroth is dead, he died a long time ago. His corpse is in that weird crystal thing you saw. However when he died he didn't dissolve into the lifestream and the Jenova cells inside him kept him from 'dissipating', if that makes sense. He didn't 'return to the planet'.

So what he has done is gather his strength and summon everybody who shares Jenova's cells to him and try to brainwash them into bringing him black materia. Including Jenova itself. The Sephiroth you see is usually some 'clone'. Though clone is the wrong term, you are seeing a part of Jenova taking on Sephiroth's form as it does his bidding. So you never actually met him at all, really. You just saw members of his hivemind.

Your other question I better not answer and nobody else better answer cause it will ruin some very cool stuff.

Get well soon (please wash your hands a lot ?)

No it isn't. The answers to his questions come later in Mideel.

You need to either delete that shit or put it in spoiler tags. Otherwise you've just completely ruined someone's first BLIND playthrough FFS

I know this is going to sound stupid for a game as old as it is, but I will add that I haven't played it. Can you make sure you do keep key story moments in spoilers, regardless of if the person you're talking to has seen that bit or not. There's inevitably going to be renewed interest in the game now, shit to have gone this long without it being spoilt just to scroll past something in here

Well I was quite happy to explore them. I took the road west, in no hurry to get to the next plot point. But I didn't know that I was going to pass out. I just thought I'd come to some nice discovery and maybe return to the crossroads and explore the other 2 paths. The game can be a bit like that sometimes, I suppose.

Currently I'm:

Spoiler

About to set off controlling Tifa thru Cloud's damaged brainscape after the fall of Mideel. It's been a bit of a wild ride since Cloud disappeared, and I'm not sure if the game hasn't been tampered with somewhat. I'm not talking about the QoL stuff.

For instance, my first port of call to grab the huge materia with Cid was that fort condor. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing in the castle defence mini game, but at some point it just sort of ended with a super easy boss, and I won! 

Same with the train chase in Cosmo to get the other huge materia. I was pretty good with the battles on the train, but when the mini game to stop the train came up I just couldn't work out what I was meant to do under pressure and fluffed it. Next minute there's a cutscene with the runaway train coming to a nice stop before the town, and once again I'm the big hero.

Weird. But hey, I'll take the win, not to mention the Ultima materia I copped for my incompetence.?

There are a couple of hidden treasures in the mountains and I don't think it's possible (even with a guide) to get them all on one run through, the Mountains before passing out. How to get Alexander for example:

Spoiler

You find a screen with a Hot Spring - touch it. Next find a cave with an "old woman" inside it. Touch her after touching the spring. Cue mini boss fight and Alexander is yours. The problem is, these screens aren't connected directly. So you have to know where to go within the time limit. If you pass out inbetween, you have to touch the spring all over again.

Spoiler

Something else that is funny, there is a great hidden treasure in Mideel - The Curse Ring - that you can only get before the town is destroyed. It is actually a game changer, an all-stats boost. You would also have no idea it was there at all unless you found it by accident, like I did.

Also, rub the baby Chocobo behind the ears...

Spoiler

It sounds like you might have had a glitch. I've seen online there is an alternate failure cutscene for Corel. But then again, even back on the PSOne, the controls for that sequence are really wonky. You might have actually succeeded by your inputs alone. The Fort Condor stuff, I'm not sure if you can lose. Because failure equals game over?

I actually think the town is already a goner, although I was lucky to grab all the nice powerful weapons out of the shop first.

I'm going to pass with Alexander. It would be a false playthru to go there now, same with the extra playable character lurking in Shinra mansion. I went there. I even found the note. But it was not at all a puzzle that I could have cracked without a guide to locate him, and I already cheated to get Yuffie. Although I did legitimately discover her.