passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Fuel - 360/PS3

illdog

Fuck me its big.

After the initial new huge game confusion of not knowing what the fuck whats going on and realising how the Career differs from the Challenges and how its accessed from the hub world or the menu system.... get that shit out of the way and you feel a little less intimidated.

You can drive around the free play world to find challenges and career goal or just press start and access them from the menu's. I think im right in saying you can only access what youve found in free play but im not 100% certain of that.

The best way i can describe this is like Pure meets Fallout 3. Its based in an alternate present where glomal warmings fucked shit up and the weathers gone all bonkers, and its got this sort of bland Fallout look sometimes. Control wise its nice and slidey like Pure, very arcadey in that hitting an object doesnt stop you dead, instead you bounce of it (unless its full head on). It does feel like its traded looks for size, it does look a little patchy in places. Still, hasnt stopped me from having a couple of jaw drop moments when ive jumped of a big hill - ithe game world literally sprawls in front of you and you drop in such a way it leaves your virtual stomach behind.

There goes my weekend of catching up on old games...

Cheers for your initial impressions, dawg.

I'm really tempted to pick this up, but I'm not sure this is going to have the legs I originally thought it would. I may wait until the price inevitably drops. Then again, I may get it at the weekend. I look forward to your follow-up thoughts.

I unlocked the second camp (Tsunami Reef), and theres an achievement for driving from the original camp to Tsunami Reef without using the chopper (aka warping). It took me 45 fucking minutes! This game is huuuuuge!

Some of the challenges are good, the second one i did involved trying to beat a helicopter in a race, it was like something out of Top Gear. I just tanked it as the crow flies and hoped for the best. WIN.

Is it correct that if you don't come first in a race, you don't get any points whatsoever, all or nothing? I don't know exactly how the races work, but I could see that becoming frustrating in later races.

Is it correct that if you don't come first in a race, you don't get any points whatsoever, all or nothing? I don't know exactly how the races work, but I could see that becoming frustrating in later races.

Each race has three difficulties, if your struggling jut notch it to Rookie. You get less rewards but it makes it doable.

Got my copy earlier, will try and give it a go later. In the meantime, copied from RLLMUK:

All codes -

Vehicle Warrior : 18041851

Paint flash mudhog : 17121973

Paint moto Sludgeray : 18021974

Character Helmet "Camo" Code : 48992519

Character Jacket "Road Addict" Code : 20061977

Character Trousers "Speed Angel" Code : 91031985

pause > options > bonus codes.

its good stuff, and a lot like games such as far cry 2 where the more you put in, the more you get out. i very much doubt the reviewers finished this huge game, reading the reviews i dont think many of them got very far at all! started unlocking some cool cars now, and the handling is getting better. the graphics are kind of hit n miss, it does feel like they made the world and then were rushed to the finish by the publisher so other things got unfinished or corners were cut. but its fun, and sometimes it does look gorgeous. rallying through a forest on a suped up dirtbike with the sun shining through the trees is a treat, and like illdog said theres a lot of intentional and unintentional instances of flying of monster cliffs and they are brilliant moments

this game is going to take a looong time to complete, if i get all the achievements in this i think it will be the biggest cheeve endurance test ive had to date

shit yeah i forgot to mention the sound, it is gash. the in game sound effects are passable i guess but after just playing pgr4 the engine noises at least sound very weedy. the music is GODAWFUL. like they gave that task to the only guy who'd ever held an instrument in the team, and it was a decade ago. and hes french remember. another of the cut corners, but still it doesnt stop the game being epic and fun. in fact it reminds me of the days of old, when games were more flawed but still great and thats a nice feeling

A couple of times now when ive respawned after a crash its put me sideways on the road for a nice extra disadvantage. It also put me right of the course itself once and the GPS didnt work and just kept sending me round in circles - thats happened a couple of times as well. Oh well, just like real life.

I like it when youve played a game enough to know what its asking you to do, its then you get a real impression of the task ahead, and fuck me thats a hell of a task. Career races, all the challenges, finding all the Vista points, Paint jobs and the clothing - fooking hours pal.

I wish the map was a little more accessable, i hate having to press start, scroll along to it, pick my square, zoom into it. Is it just me, or is there an easier way to do it?

Two words I haven't seen mentioned in the impressions yet; Load Times.

They're so frequent, and not short either. I've installed the game to the HDD like all the 360 games I play, but it still takes an age at times. Other than that, I am enjoying it a fair bit. I'm about to start races in the second area now, so things should hopefully start to pick up a bit with a new variety of cars and scenery. Fuel's presentation and music is terrible, but the massive world kind of makes up for it.

I played this a bit more tonight, and it's definitely grown on me. I did the Riders on the Storm race on hard, which is the track I've seen demoed (the one with the falling pylon, driving through burning trees), and it was very atmospheric. It took a few attempts as I'm using one of the basic vehicles, but I was determined to do it in that one. I know what ill means regarding the respawning, I just restart now if I am about to crash. And yeah, that involves a lengthy load time. I've enjoyed just driving around in freeride mode, and have found just over 100 fuel cans that are dotted around the map. They're kind of like the billboards or smashes in Burnout Paradise, only not as fun to find. But at least they have a purpose, as they give you credit to purchase other vehicles.

Graphically it is very mixed. Sometimes it looks beautiful, especially when the sun is rising or when there's a lot of greenery and the sun is beaming down. Other times it's not so great, I'm not keen on the night time and have had to adjust the brightness in the menu's to compensate (brightness is very low as default in Fuel). But yeah, I probably won't ever finish it, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Oliath, the only thing it has in common with Paradise really is that it's fun just to explore the vast world, and I imagine roaming around online without any real objective could be a relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Yea Ed, i kept meaning to mention the load times - i know the games huge but they're fucking awful.

On the good stuff, i just won a great race. All the AI characters picked cars but i picked my King Arthur Monster monster truck and totally ravaged China! I dedicated that victory to Don form Slade. Monster Trucks!

I'm not normally a follower of racers but after recently playing Motorstorm PR & enjoying it I decided to throw caution to the wind & pick this up. Its certainly more addictive than you might give it credit for at first & the size of the map must surely be the biggest thing in gaming? Even driving across the smaller maps take time & are a world in themselves. Much like has been already mentioned it looks great, although not quite as polished as Motorstorm PR (after playing that). I do love the evironmental & weather effects that really add to the atmosphere. The events are interesting although driving long distances to some of them can sometimes be a bit of a grind. Otherwise I'd say this is the best open world of its kind seen since Rockstar's Smuggler's Run.

I've played it on the demo machines in HMV a couple of times, and thought it was pretty good. The cars and bikes felt good to drive, but loading times were aparrent even during a quick blast.

I considered getting it with some trade in credit, but it's £45!. It can wait.

Untill you play it i dont think you can appreciate how absolutely massive this game is. I said god damn.

I dont know what system everybody else is using, but ive started playing each Career goal 3 times each to rape the maximum fuel (currency) possible. I was going through Career first and then the Challenges, but im getting to the point where i cant afford the best vehicle for the job so i think its best to clear each area as you go with a nice bit of free play inbetweeen to hunt for Oil Drums.

• 2 weeks later...

kill me.

i just completed a 100 mile endurance race! i used the challenge glitch and selected a monter truck for it - slow but eats terrain like vanessa feltz at a buffet - and offroaded like a motherfucker cutting tonnes of the course out (i finished 48km in front of the guy in second.. that much course) and it still took me 50-and-something minutes GAAAAAAAH

think ive put 70 hours into this, but at least the end is in sight. depending on when i decide to get assassins creed tomorrow, i could have all the single player achievements done tomorrow