passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy XIII

stoobie

i'm more incensed that they are getting leona fucking lewis to sing the theme song. I was some jail bait jpoplett singing it.... :unsure:

I'll be getting this, well, I'll be getting it for Emma anyway. We are going to start XII again tonight seen as i still haven't played it and she never finished it.

lol the sun was shining on my monitor and covering up most of that, I misread it as Jai Bai Pollet and wondered "who the fuck is that!?"

• 4 weeks later...

Nom nom nom, fanboy food, nom nom.

Square Enix has apparently revealed that the 360 version of its latest RPG epic, Final Fantasy XIII, will feature compressed audio and video, presumably to help squeeze its considerable heft onto the DVD format.

Despite this, the game will still ship on multiple discs on 360. The PS3 version, however, will come completely uncompressed on a single dual-layer Blu-ray disc, according to a report.

A dual-layer DVD holds just under 9GBs of data. A dual-layer Blu-ray disc can swallow up to 50GBs worth of 1s and 0s.

The actual differences to your eyes and ears will hopefully be near unnoticeable, but we know what some of you are like with your magnifying glasses. If you're one to nit-pick you may lean towards getting the PS3 one.

So, Squenix, do you find the internets reactions funny, too?

• 4 weeks later...

More reports saying it's disappointing.

A Hong Kong magazine has given FFXIII a 4/10 review, saying the RPG is “so linear that it’s little more than riding an amusement park ride.”

The mag, scans of which can be seen on AllGamesBeta, takes the Square title to school with such ferocity it leaves it pissing its knickers at the gates. Then it takes is to college. Then university. Then it forces it to do a PhD in metallurgy.

Random quotes:

“The game is complete linearity until the open areas near the end. You can’t even backtrack.”

“Of all the RPGs I’ve played in recent years, this is the first which has been so linear that it’s little more than riding an amusement park ride.”

“I had heard the opinion that, ‘It’s amazing once you get to Chapter 11,’ but why should you spend 20 or 30 hours on a game to get to the only enjoyable part? Just how do they intend to make me play this? Do they think I’m some kind of masochist?”

“A button-mashing puzzle game with no real strategy or RPG elements and a plethora of annoying features, game as a whole is little more than a digital novel of sorts.”

“For such a game to approach 2 million copies sold must be due solely to the strength of the Final Fantasy brand.”

“Biggest swindle in gaming history.”

“Biggest joke of 2009.”

The biggest swindle in gaming history. Some won’t be pleased.

Apparently one of the biggest things about it is that there are no towns, all saving and shopping is done through a menu.

Means pretty much fuck all to me, but it's upsetting some people.

It will probably still be good. I'm no less excited about it with it being linear, if it even is that much different. T

All the fucking about in previous games used to annoy me anyway, it's what makes me stop playing games.

I'm a bit unsure of it now, linear works fine for action but I just don't see how it could be good in a game this long. I like the messing around in towns and seeing what's there, you can experience being in that world better. This whole linear thing is sounding like it's lost some of it's character.

I'm probably still going to buy it on launch because I'm a sucker though.

I'm gonna wait for this now, it seems like a experiment. I wonder if it will be shorter then, like 20 hours or so. If they get rid of the worldly stuff then it'll have a different pace about it, I suppose FFX was a bit like that.

I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I'm gonna wait for this now, it seems like a experiment. I wonder if it will be shorter then, like 20 hours or so. If they get rid of the worldly stuff then it'll have a different pace about it, I suppose FFX was a bit like that.

I'm interested to see how it turns out.

From what i've read you'e looking at about 40-60 hours.

I think its good they are trying something different. I'm sure it'll still be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just about to post the same thing as Hinn.

Here's a run donw of what you get:

- Final Fantasy XIII game

- Final Fantasy XIII Original Sound Selection: An exclusive soundtrack CD featuring in-game music tracks especially chosen for the Limited Collector’s Edition by composer Masashi Hamauzu

- The World of Final Fantasy XIII: A hardback book featuring character artwork, CG rendered artwork and environments from across the game’s production

- Exclusive Art Prints: Three highly collectable prints showing artwork of the Eidolons, the powerful summoned allies of the lead playable characters

- A Unique ‘Brand of the l’Cie’ decal: A collectible decal featuring the most iconic symbol from the game’s storyline

- Branded presentation box

• 2 weeks later...
A few months ago I recall reading an interview with FF XIII's director Motomu Toriyama which quoted him as saying he "hoped" to have the game ship on "about three discs worth of content." The same interview estimates 40-50 hours for the main story, with additional content through side-quests and achievements. If online game rental site Gamefly is anything to go by, his hopes have been realized. Their product page has shown up, specifically noting that the game will have exactly three discs.