passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Shmup Thread

spatular

• 3 months later...

^ yeah if you don't like bullet hell stuff then best to avoid it. think there's an easy mode with less bullets mind.

that capcom pack thing is out on switch now so you can get progear and gigawing and 8 other games for £12, which is crazy - hope they run ok! it would have been better for M2 to make a proper job out of it, but that's £33 for 1 game, still would have been preferable for progear anyway.

edit - seen some reports of the capcom thing having input lag :( might get it to try it anyway because progear. or maybe wait for the other versions incase the lag is reduced.

edit2 - got it - input lag on progear and gigawing seemed ok to me - using an m30 pad.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you played GG Aleste 3 by any chance @spatular ?

Wireframe had a very positive review about it so I googled around a bit and not only did my research confirm that it's indeed supposedly very good, but I also find it fascinating that they built it in a way that it could technically run on a Game Gear, which is kind of nuts.

The downside of all of this of course is that it's only available in Japan in some Aleste collection.

nah i haven't played it, but yeah like you say, heard it's good, i am tempted but not sure as i'm not as into the more old school style.

i think there was a limited edition with one of those new micro game gears with the games on it, which is pretty cool!

Yeah, I saw that Game Gear bundle on play-asia, it's 175€ now (down from 316€!) but as cool as the idea is, I wouldn't have any use for it I think.

I might bite the bullet and order the normal collection at some point, I'm kind of intrigued by it.

• 4 weeks later...

There's a demo for R-Type Final 2 out. I've very shortly played it on Switch yesterday and something felt off. Can't put my finger on what exactly, it's a mix between the framerate, the hit feedback and the overall very dark presentation. I'll try it on PS4 later to see if that one feels better.

Ok, I just played it on PS4 and its night and day basically. The framerate is a super stable 60fps compared to whatever it is on Switch (it feels like it's bumping between 30 and upper 40 or something there) and the visuals are way better. There's a lot of cool details that just disappear in a black void on Switch. For example, I didn't even notice that the first boss is the actual first classic R-Type boss, but frozen in ice. The lighting effects when charging up your shot in the space station are also sublime on PS4.

The only downside, though that's personal preference, is that I really dislike the Dualshock for these games. 

Really glad they released that demo and thankfully NIS cancelled my Switch pre-order due to Brexit stuff. Will definitely get the PS4 version instead.

• 1 month later...

Rigid Force Redux is getting a nice little Special Edition as well:

For some reason only the Switch version though as far as I can tell. But it's a really good game, I enjoyed it quite a bit last year and still go back to it form time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd say it's not as good as futari but it's still great imo, and a good cave game if you're not so much into bullet hell as it has the original mode like futari with the less but faster bullets.

had a quick go last night, was good fun, really cool that it's come out over here straight away, it seems like the 360/pc version which makes sense, a new port by m2 would probably have been better but that wouldn't have been released here and wouldn't have been so cheap.

Alright, I bought it, I've been looking for something that you can play in a 30 minute break or so.

I had Crimzon Clover on my wishlist, too, which is a bit cheaper at the moment but I really don't think that game is for me, as cool as it looks. I think this was the better choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this Raiden 4 remix thing going to be cool? It looks kind of cool. It’s £25 on Switch and I was thinking of ordering but I also don’t really know what I’m looking at. Previous versions have good review scores. 

71PrtMpqYQS._AC_SY879_.jpg

Also I don’t know if this is sacrilege or not but I played Radiant Silvergun about a month ago on Xbox. My understanding is that it is some legendary, all time awesome Shmup. Ooooh it’s not good. I really didn’t like it at all. Too many weapons.