passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Rock Band 2

HandsomeDead

I was going to make a thread about the future of rythme-action games but it required to much thought and I was mostly thinking of Rock Band anyway so it can go here.

It was mostly inspired by Co-op's coverage of The Beatles: Rock Band and what they could possibly do after it. Led Zep was obviously mentioned but that won't happen and so was a Radiohead Rock Band game, I'm not sure about that, I don't think they quite have the story that The Beatles have, maybe they do, I don't know. Like with The Beatles I'd feel a little left out if that did happen as I have little affection to them.

So I start thinking about what could happen next. I've never been fond of the idea of band specific games because your not going to get the most varied stuff, even from the most imaginative bands. The Beatles were a massive movement on there own so I'm wondering if a future game could chronicle genres. A game that explored the roots of Blues music with its history and how a bunch of guys just played it faster and called it rock'n'roll. A game about grunge music from The Melvins and Pixies to that Unplugged thing Nirvana did and everything inbetween... to make up for the whole Guitar Hero thing.

I'd really like the format to evolve to add improvisation and a bit more freedom which is lacking in RB/GH, understandable considering they're score attack games, but still I'd like maybe an extra mode where you get ghost notes that you can add. Like take the Rock Band gameplay and layout and add the ideas and freedom that's in Wii Music.

They are score attack games but I don't think that is a very important part of it, its great when you five star a song and you high five everyone in the room but playing to beat the guy ahead of you on the online scoreboard isn't what you do. Throwing in a few optional hammer-ons/pull-offs between chordes or the ability to palm mute would be the shit.

Flight of the Conchords DLC confirmed! We just don't know which tracks yet. :(

Sub Pop Records has confirmed three Flight of the Conchords songs for Rock Band, just like comedy duo Jermaine Clement and Bret McKenzie promised.

There will be one song from upcoming album "I Told You I Was Freaky", and two from the eponymous "Flight of the Conchords" collection. Sub Pop won't say what the songs are.

Eurogamer's resident FOTC expert Chris Ward expects the songs to be "It's Business Time" and "The Most Beautiful Girl (In the Room)". He hopes "Robots" will replace one of those, but he can't be sure.

Website Team Teambag (via Kotaku) reports that 20th October is the proposed release date for the tracks.

not sure if this is confirmed, i knicked it off someone on the dvdforums anyway:

Queen - October 20th

Another One Bites the Dust

Crazy Little Thing Called Love

One Vision

Fat Bottomed Girls

I Want It All

I Want to Break Free

Killer Queen

Somebody to Love

Tie Your Mother Down

Under Pressure

regarding the ability to do some freestyle in this sort of game, you can on the drum fills, maybe they could do similar for the guitar? and in amplitude and frequency there are freestyle/scratch sections.

I have no idea what you two are on about.

Its strange this collection turns up, last time I played it with others they were questioning the reason for no Queen, I still don't think they will be happy with that list as there is no Don't Stop Me Now.

I have no idea what you two are on about.

Its strange this collection turns up, last time I played it with others they were questioning the reason for no Queen, I still don't think they will be happy with that list as there is no Don't Stop Me Now.

Good list except from the obvious no show. There must be an actual reason for it, surely? If they had access to all Queen songs why the hell would they not pick don't stop me now?

Looking at the tracklist for Greatest Hits I & II, there's just as many that could be on there, so it's probably just the first pack, another one will probably come later.

Gotta have Bohemian Rhapsody, that would be epic. :D

• 1 month later...

got lego rock band today, wasn't really sure what to expect and was planning on treating it like a track pack - import the songs then sell it, as there's a few songs on there i was looking forward to, especially the hendrix one, but i hadn't heard of most of the songs before and so far i'm really impressed with the song choices, only played one bad one in about 10. although there is that ruby song i hate with a passion. got a free lego key ring with it too, which is awesome beyond all belief :D no online multiplayer sucks though it doesn't matter when the songs are imported.

it's a bad time with all the other games out at the moment but is anyone else getting it?

• 2 weeks later...

w00t, thanks to the Indie upload thingy, looks like we'll all be playing the MFGamers Podcast theme till we really get sick of it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>