passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Replacing my PS3 Hard Drive

stoobie

Probably of interest to very few people here (you lot and your fancy Xboxes) but I am in the middle of swapping my PS3 HD over. My 40GB filled up pretty quickly so I bought a 250GB one to put in instead. I was waiting to pick up some external storage (ie borrow it from work) but I found out today that you can backup the PS3 to an iPod so I am doing that instead.

I've read a few horror stories of people knackering their PS3s doing it but it seems such an easy job I can't see how I can fail......

I will let you know how I get on! :huh:

Downloaded games (i've got quite a few), game installs - I think bioshock was pretty hefty - and save data - it all adds up.

Ok so far - the data is all backed up - the HD is out of the PS3 - but the screws holding it in the caddy are amazingly tight.

Success - although the PS3 has nicked 18GB of the space for something and due to weird HD size stuff that I dont understand (was I too technical there) It leaves me with just over 200GB

DSCF2751.jpg

Just restoring the back up now - should take an hour.

All done - quite easy really - I think I buggered one of the screws up but I can just pick another one up from somewhere. All working fine :)

All that space - what to do with it....

Fill it up with "art". Practically every other man on earth would do the same. :rolleyes:

One thing I did notice is that it didnt keep a record of what trophies I had won. It remembered/backed up everything else, but my trophies didnt appear on the trophy tab unless i went back into the game and 'reminded' the PS3 that I had that game. They were still attached to my profile when I checked on the friends tab mind.

I guess it is because the back-up utility was written before the trophy patch appeared.

Didnt take long at all - took about 20 minutes to back up to my iPod.

The actual hard drive swap was about the same but would have been quicker if I had had a proper electronics screwdriver - it was really hard to get the screws out with the ones I used.

Formatting was seconds rather than minutes and then the restore took about 2 hours I think. It paused a good few times which panicked me a bit - but all in all about 3 hours total.