passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

WipEout HD / Fury

stoobie

So I finally managed to give this a go over the weekend and I am very impressed. Obvious starting point - the graphics are amazing and the style of the game is just so well done. I have a pretty crappy HDTV and I think it is set to 1080p and it just looks amazing. Its hard to explain but it all feels solid as well - like it is really in your TV and you are driving a real ship around the track - or something :blush:

My favorite mode is Zone mode where you race round the track going through zones. Each zone generally has different graphical themes and as you pass through each one your ship slowly gets faster. You basically have to survive for as long as you can without totalling your ship. Its hard as you get used to the slower speeds and then your turning circle goes completely to pieces as you get faster. Its hard and annoying, but in a good way - not a Megaman 9 way.

I cant compare it to old Wipeout games as this is the first I played but I think it is a brilliant game - well worth 11 quid.

• 1 month later...

There has been an update for this which has added difficulty levels to the game - a good thing as it got too hard too quickly for me. I started picking up loads of gold medals last night when I had been struggling to even get anywhere near bronze for ages!

I might even manage a few more than my current 9% of trophies that I have for it.

I was listening to a podcast last night (because I'm sad) and they were saying to make sure you had steering assist on otherwise you'll spend each race smacking against walls.

I'm still undecided about getting this. On one hand it looks great and is a very high level download game, on the other as good as people say it is I'm not the biggest Wipeout fan so it might sit unplayed

I was listening to a podcast last night (because I'm sad) and they were saying to make sure you had steering assist on otherwise you'll spend each race smacking against walls.

Assist was turned on as soon as I got the game :)

I dont play it that much, but as its a download and sat on the HD it is easy to just dip in and out of every now and then. You can pretty much always find online opponents as well

• 1 month later...

Bumb-izzle.

Since my teens were spent on the brilliant Wipe3out and not long after I posted here I did get myself a copy of Wipeout Pure which I did end up loving too. I thought it would be rude not to download Wipeout HD on my new PS3.

And it's still brilliant, the ships control smoothly and the updated graphics make it even more of a colourful barage on the senses. The way the singleplayer is laid out keeps things interesting by making you do time trials and zone races which was varies the whole thing up. I see here people have stated they play with the assist on... Fail! I'm not even saying it as an elitist. I turned it off after a couple of races, you see a cozy gap between the apex and another ship, if you try to get between it with the assist on the computer will throw you in the middle of the track and slow you down in the process.. The assist is not fun, it takes away the dangerous maneuvers that make it such a buzz to play. And even on the faster modes where some help might be useful it can never keep up with you so it's pretty damn useless in my humblest of oppinions.

Brilliant stuff anyway. Don't play it online though, some of those guys are fecking awesome, you won't stand a chance.

I had about 30 mins on this earlier - plays just as well as the good ol' days but it looks AWESOME now too!

I'm glad the PS3 finally has analogue triggers, they make all the difference, took a bit of getting used to but seems to work pretty well.

• 6 months later...

I've managed to tear myself away from the Fury DLC. It doubles your track count with some great tracks that look stunning, even more colourful that the originals and it also throws in some new modes which are made of win too, bar one.

To get the shit out of the way I'll mention the new shit mode 'Detonater'. It has the same trippy colours thing going as Zone mode on the old set and speed increases with time the same way too. But now you have to shoot mines as you go and going over the pads fills up a EMP blast which works like a quake. All it does to me is frustrate because you can't get into the swing of it like you do in Zone, you can't get into the zone ironically enough. I'm not a fan of that anyway.

Moving up to one of the better ones is 'Zone Race'. In this hitting boost pads also fills up meter and generally driving smoothly fills it up quicker, the point of the race is to see who gets to the allocated Zone point first, a bit of stratagy comes into it. You choose yourself when you want to move up a stage, do you quietly sit behind and store your energy or do you frequantly boost making your ship quicker and harder to handel? Boosting also leaves a barrier for others to crash into, they also stay long enough for you to come around and crash into. It took a bit of getting used to but this mode grew on me, I quite like this one.

Last but not least, now a multiplayer favourite, 'Elimination'. Simple this one, destroy the other ships, you get points for hitting them with weapons and more points for a kill. An addition that makes things flow better is with a tap of the L1 button you flip your ship 180 degrees, this can be used to meet the leader after a bad set of crashes and the group gets away or used in a more satisfying manner, like hitting a boost pad to over take someone, charging up your plasma cannon and then flicking around to unleash purple death on the poor sod you just passed. I actually wouldn't mind seeing this mechanic tweaked a little and put in the main races... maybe not, it could lose some purity.

With the added tracks and modes its made a much better and fuller game, this could quite easily be put on a disc and sold at retail price. Wipeout HD and Motorstorm: PR are easily my favourite racers this gen. If it wasn't for these two games I'd be a little anxious over that shiny, black thing I bought... It's only good for MGS4?... Nah.

got the new content the other night and only played it briefly but initial impressions are that i hate the new modes, hope they grow on me. funnily the only one i don't mind is the only one DC didn't like, where you have to shoot the mines, although i didn't like the way your gun takes a split second to "reload" in which time you can easily hit a mine. i hope you can play the old zone mode with the new tracks, think i'll be sticking to that and time trials instead of the new career.

triple post!!!1

anyone think some of the timed races seem near impossible? there's one i've been trying for ages, today i hit all the boost pads over the 4 laps (44 total) but still 1.4 seconds away from a gold time :(...but i am using the ship with the best handling, maybe i need to use a faster one?

Use the ship that has top speed and boost for the ones where you dont have people shooting fuck out of you, as you don't need to worry about damage as it heals over. I found that sometimes it was better to go insanely fast on certain bit and crash, than it was to slowly navigate certain corners. I'm a wipeout noob though, I didn't progress any further than unlocking the final ship.

Yeah, for any timed race you should be using the Icarus, though lately I've been digging the Harumou(sp?), the Piranha handles like a rocket powered canal boat. Even though the others are really fast they handle well too, its only the sheild you have to worry about.

I haven't been going for elite times much with the new content, I should though because can't see me going back through it, I also only need two gold medals to finish the original mode but I can't do the races that well on Phantom, Sebenco Climb is a fucker at the best of times. <_<

Yeah, for any timed race you should be using the Icarus, though lately I've been digging the Harumou(sp?), the Piranha handles like a rocket powered canal boat. Even though the others are really fast they handle well too, its only the sheild you have to worry about.

I haven't been going for elite times much with the new content, I should though because can't see me going back through it, I also only need two gold medals to finish the original mode but I can't do the races that well on Phantom, Sebenco Climb is a fucker at the best of times. <_<

thanks DC, that helped loads, switched to icarus and did it in about 6 tries :D it handles really well for a fast one!

i've only being trying elite difficulty for time trials/hot laps/zone mode, the others i usually do on skilled/novice.

• 1 month later...

Tis coming out on disc:

Sony has decided to cram WipEout HD and WipEout HD: Fury onto one Blu-ray disc for the David-Dickinson-would-be-pleased price of £19.99.

Due out 16th October, the double-pack combines one of the best racing games on PS3 with one of the best expansion packs on PS3.

Worth a punt. :)