passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Beyond Good & Evil 2

Hendo

The sequel to Beyond Good and Evil, almost unequivocally one of the most missed games of the last generation, has been in production for over a year according to the main lead. Ubisoft has yet to say anything about it though.

Speaking to Jeux Video magazine, creative lead Michel Ancel confirmed its development, but revealed that it's currently only being developed by a small team as Ubisoft has yet to give it the green light.

"We want to be a continuity of the first, with a wide variety of stages in the game, a lot of emotions in the gameplay and engaging characters", he said to Jeux France. "This time we enter the planet's future".

We've contacted Ubisoft for comment and are awaiting a reply from head office. With Ubidays just around the corner though (May 28), dare we hope to hear more then? Yes, we dare...

Fingers crossed. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Suddenly I'm a little bit worried.

Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot has said Beyond Good & Evil 2 will be "more accessible" so more casual gamers will want to buy it.

He was speaking at the recent UbiDays event, where the very first teaser trailer for the game was shown.

"We saw with Beyond Good & Evil that so many customers were extremely happy with the game. We had a different audience at that time. We had more core gamers than casual gamers than we have today," Yves Guillemot told Next-Gen.biz.

"We think the game was probably a little too difficult for the general gamers at that time. We're going to make it more accessible and make sure that it's really done for the new generation that's come into videogames."

Beyond Good & Evil was an action adventure game that appeared back in 2003, and had you taking pictures and hitting people with sticks as main character Jade - who is friends with pigs.

Creator Michel Ancel has said on more than one occasion that he would like to revisit BG&E, although how different the sequel will be is yet to be seen.

I just loved the storyline, and like pickled taking pictures of animals

Youre running along and ur like ooo i havnt got that.

I enjoyed the stealth bits too, its one where u have to run or u be destroyed.

I liked the fact that it was a bit harder than the "casual" gamer.

• 11 months later...

Yeah but thats probably down to camera placement or something, I certainly thought it looked like gameplay footage. It seem's to be very Prince of Persia, Mirrors Edge, Assasin's Creed-ish, which is no bad thing. Not finished the first one but really really looking forward to this.

• 1 year later...

Lame arsed news.

Word on the street is that Ubisoft's Beyond Good & Evil sequel has been canned. This attached to reports that the man behind the game, Michel Ancel is rumored to have left Ubisoft along with a "star developer" to form another studio in France. If true, Ancel hasn't updated his LinkedIn profile (the most important thing one can do when leaving an employer, of course), which still has him listed as a Creative Director at Ubisoft.

It's been quite awhile since we'd seen anything on Beyond Good & Evil 2, which has long been rumored to be in jeopardy. Last word from Ubisoft was that the game was "still in production," but the lack of new information since 2008 has been a bit unsettling.

A bit of a critical darling, Beyond Good & Evil wasn't quite the success at retail, so it's not too surprising to see that Ubisoft isn't going full steam ahead on the sequel. It does, however, make me cry into my pillow at night thinking about would could be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an E3 surprise, but that's looking about as likely as a Buck Bumble revival.

sad-panda.jpg

You'd think selling a gazillion copies of Just Dance would free them up to let Ancel do his pet project.

Not canned, then?

Ubisoft has dismissed suggestions that Michel Ancel has left the company, confirming that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is still in development.

Word of the Rayman creator's supposed departure appeared on the internet last week. It was said that Ancel had left to set up his own studio, and that the BG&E2 project had been cancelled as a result.

But a Ubisoft representative told Eurogamer, "There are no changes on the horizon."

When asked if that means Ancel is still at Ubi and that BG&E2 is still in development, the representative replied, "Yes."

Good news I guess but it would be nice to know either way what the hell is going on with this game.