passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Burnout Paradise

Hendo

Yes, I'm excited! It's one of the reasons I bought my 360, really looking forward to it.

I hope there's a 360 demo. Shane Bettenhausen made it sound pretty good, and the online integration is supposed to be second to none. I can't wait. :)

I can't say I've ever been disapointed by any of the games in the series, well, maybe Revenge, I hope they have taken out the 'traffic checking' or whatever it was called, that really did remove alot of the intensity, but there is not many racers that get me excited.

Hendo wrote:

A sandbox racing game?

I really hope it isn't all fannying around like all other sandbox games, I hate them.

Part Time Gamer wrote:

I really hope it isn't all fannying around like all other sandbox games, I hate them.

According to the wikipedia entry:

It has a seamless open-world set in the fictional 'Paradise City', with no loading times and no traditional online lobbies or game menus.

According to Alex Ward from developer Criterion Games, this game will be a "complete reinvention" of the Burnout series. He also said "To create truly next-generation gameplay, we needed to create a truly next-generation game, from top to bottom." Despite being in an open-world, the game still retains the high 60 frames per second frame rate most Burnout games have used. However, compromises such as the lack of day and night cycles and weather conditions have been made. Records will now be kept on player's drivers licenses and there will be statistics such as fastest time and biggest crash for every street in the game. Crash mode has been renamed to Showtime mode.

Now, instead of having preset junctions and predetermined traffic patterns, the player may crash in any location in the world, pull both triggers on their controller and activate Showtime mode. Showtime mode can also be activated during events such as Road Rage and Race, even when online. Also, races are no longer specific lengths and types. Races are simply started by pulling up at any of the 120 traffic lights around Paradise City. Multiple settings have been confirmed to be fully customisable such as:

* "Boost Rules" - The player may choose Burnout 1, 2, 3 or Revenge style Burnout meters.

* Traffic Checking - Can be turned off so players may not strike and utilise traffic travelling in the same direction as the player as a weapon.

* Whether there is traffic in the event.

* Start and finish points for events with up to 16 checkpoints.

The damage system is also being reworked. There are now two different types of crash based on the condition of the car after the crash. If the player's car manages to retain all four wheels, the player may drive out of the crash and continue playing. If a player's car loses its wheels, the car is in a "wrecked" state and the player will have to wait until their car is reset. Cars can also be torn into several pieces, be compressed and deform around objects as you crash into them. However, Alex Ward confirmed in the Official Crash FM podcast that cars may not be ripped in half as concept pictures and early information stated. Also, there is a special edition of the game, including a steel wheels version of the Carson GT concept car, which will feature the car with armour plate and supercharger.

Cars now have manufacturer and model names, which are loosely based on real-world cars but are mostly fictional (some of the cars are even based on cars from previous Burnout game, i.e. Hunter Manhattan= Classic from Burnout 2). Cars may also not be "tuned up" or customised apart from color changes, which may be done in real-time by driving through the forecourt of a paint shop which will randomly assign a color to the car. Other real-time changes include driving through the forecourt of a petrol station to automatically refill your Burnout meter, and driving through the forecourt of a repair shop to automatically repair your car, allowing you to extend a Road Rage event beyond the car's damage limits. The Crash mode is also back but this time it is called Showtime.

my recent run-in with pgr4 has put me off racers quite a lot, i always knew that outside of MK and FZero they werent my favourite genre but im scared of them now. im rubbish, playing them is like looking into a mirror of aptitude and seeing sub-mediocrity staring back

was test drive unlimited a sandbox racing game?

Hendo wrote:

Anyone excited?

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Does that show how excited I am? :P I'm really, really looking forward to this.

RetroEd wrote:

It's one of the reasons I bought my 360, really looking forward to it.

And it's one of the reasons that I bought a PS3. :P

The 1up crew have been sounding very positive about this one, so it's a day of release purchase for me.

TopGunKnacker wrote:

my recent run-in with pgr4 has put me off racers quite a lot, i always knew that outside of MK and FZero they werent my favourite genre but im scared of them now. im rubbish, playing them is like looking into a mirror of aptitude and seeing sub-mediocrity staring back

I'm the same, there's few racing games I'm interested in and most of them are stuff like MK, F-Zero.

SEGA Rally I like, but Colin McRae, Forza, Gran Turismo, PGR and the like have never interested me, but stuff like Burnout and Ridge Racer I always buy and (mostly) love.

If all else fails, just download the demo next week!

I enjoyed Burnout 2 on the cube, but i really had to sit down and nail it to get into it, its never an instant thing even with arcadey ones like RR and Burnout. id just rather not have to!

did anyone ever World Driver Championship on the Nintendo 64? now that was a really good overlooked game!

To me, Burnout 3 was the best entry in the series so far. Burnout Revenge was a huge letdown to me, and I haven't even bothered playing the other one (Dominator, I think?).

I'm not sure about the sandbox thing though.

It'll be definitely worth a look, but I've been so let down by Revenge, that I don't want to have any expectation for that game and so be plesantly surprised if it comes out great.

I think that it isn't the best demo that they could have done, and it does represent a very small portion of the overall map. I haven't tried it online yet, but the brief play I have had of wasn't quite as great as I'd hoped it would be.

I'm going to give it a bit more time, and am hopeful that the full game will be quite different.

The Demo area is incredibly small, I think my main gripe is that during races you have to keep an eye on the map, and the speeds that you go in Burnout don't make it easy, especially when building up boost on the wrong side of the road, whats worse is the only car you can use is slow and this problem still rears its head, I would hate to think what its like further in the game.

Can developers stop jumping on this sandbox bandwagon please, although I did have a little bit of fun when online bullying other players, I suppose nudging some prick into an oncoming car is always fun.:evil: