passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Best and worst bits of the year

Hendo

TopGunKnacker wrote:

are we going to have some official ds-wiifi annual games awards at some point? :)

We certainly are, but we might wait until the beginning of January so the GotM for 2007 is finished.

Until then, what's been your favourite (and not so favourite) gaming moments you've had this year? Doesn't have to be a game that has come out this year either.

The best:

Getting well and truly fixed up on Puzzle Quest.

Gravity gun + spinning metal blade = WIN.

The half-fire, half-ice level in Super Mario Galaxy.

Getting back into Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door. :)

When the controls click in Excite Truck and you feel like a truck-driving motherfucking god.

When the controls click in Resi Evil 4 and you realise they've made a great game even better.

The realisation that the city of Crackdown is nothing but a huge sandpit for you to play in.

That one and only cut scene in Bioshock where the whole thing has finally opened itself. It's like finding out you were adopted or something. :(

Warthog + Rocket launcher = Mario Kart on crack (seriously).

When you realise that the "game" in Portal has just been the training levels.

Getting back into Mario & Luigi for DS and loving it.

Getting a 32" HD TV!

The 360 - sorry guys and gals, but a better investment than even my TV!

The worst:

The Ocean King Temple. It's soured the rest of the game for me.

Mercury Meltdown Revolution - it's just too tough, but I refuse to trade it in just yet.

The stupidly hard single player in Mario Strikers. That was the only real fault with that game, but made it hard to get you interested in playing it.

Level 8 in Halo 3 - a terrible way to break the winning streak of the rest of the game.

Taiko DS - hyped to an astonishing degree considering it's just an average rhythm game.

My TV making the Wii look a bit pooey.

On the whole, it's been a great year for gaming and we've got over a month to go!

Best Bits

Finishing Zelda Twilight Princess

Re-living Diddy Kong on the DS

Actually enjoying Sonic + Secret Rings

Phoenix Wright!!

Nodame Cantabile on the DS bringing the manga into my life

360 and achievement joy

Halo 3 on the second play through

Flying through a Hong Kong market place on a trolley, killing everyone in sight as Chow Yun Fat

Mackenzie's return in Touch Detevtive 21/2

Being Bioshocked

Gettin to the final of the MK tournament

Exploring a brand new Galaxy...

Worst Bits

Mario Stikers taking the fun out of footy

PES2008 being just as guilty as Mario Strikers

Phantom Hourglass being not as good as I was expecting

Lack of Grade A Wii titles

Well it has been a packed year hasn't it mine looks like this then

The best:

-Getting well and truly fixed up on Puzzle Quest copy pasta from Hendo

-Potal in all it's glory 2 of the best hours of my life

-The 4 months I poured into Etrian Odyssey and the sheer level of satisfaction at finishing it.

-Worms 2 on DS having excellent multi and of course speaking with the developement team

-Ouendan 2 being better than the original

-The R4 I'm not sorry either best investment ever meant I haven't bought 1 single shit game on DS since

-Quake Wars living up to and even surpassing my expectations 3 years of waiting and they were bloody worth it

-Call of Duty 4 multiplayer fucking amazing

-Saving the forest in Ecoris and then learning it's going to be localised for the US Squirrels FTW!

-Etrian Odyssey 2 in the works FUCK YEAH!

The worst:

-The Ocean King Temple. It's soured the rest of the game for me.... yep

-Still having no excuse to buy a Wii not a single triple A (in my opinion) game on there

-Crysis being a lagging over hyped disaster of a game

-Halo 3 hype seriously just shut the fuck up and play it already

-Bioshock being no where near as good as System Shock due to the dumbing down

-My DS hinge breaking and lacking the spare cash or time to post it off to Ninty

-Ds-Wiifi going a bit grey and green ;)

-Portal havinbg an ending :(

-Mario and Zelda hype *sigh*

The best.

Getting a new HDTV & PS3. Loving every minute of it.

So many good puzzle games out this year.

Peggle.

Completing a game - Puzzle Quest!

Looking forward to playing Uncharted.

1upyours podcast. Best podcast ever.

NGamer & Edge Magazine.

The worst.

SMG making me dizzy.

The wiimote/nunchuck. I still prefer a 'normal' pad.

Assassin's Creed not turning out quite as good as it was supposed to have.

Certain forums & their PS3 bashing.

The Orange Box & the fact that the PS3 version is a bit naff (according to reports).

Centy wrote:

Mario and Zelda hype *sigh*

Were you not involved in hyping up Zelda, though? :P

Centy wrote:

Still I've been playing this a while now and it truely is everything it was supposed to be I really do feel for you guys who are still waiting on hard copies.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, here's mine. I may add to it if I think of anything else.

Best

Getting my 360 - Best gaming decision I’ve made all year. I love it, love it, love it. XBLA, the interface, the games, the controller, just everything about it. I have nothing bad to say.

New TV - Possibly the second best decision, I blame the 360.

Halo 3 (360) - I really enjoyed the single player, never really played Halo 1 or 2 and I love this (bar lvl 8).

PGR4 (360) – The best racer I’ve played in ages.

Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - All of it, I kinda wish I’d kept this for Christmas now, so special.

Resi 4 Wii Edition (Wii) - Wow, my first play of RE4, and what a game! Fantastic through and through.

Kororinpa (Wii) - Who said the Wii controls were a gimmick? This was the first proper game to really show what the remote can do. And it has great box-art!

Hotel Dusk (DS) - Great start to the year, perfectly suited to the DS. I loved every minute of this.

Pokemon Pearl (DS) – Never played a proper Pokemon game before, and I had a great time with this. Remember the shoutbox?*

Kurupoto (DS) – I championed this like a mother, but it didn’t take off. It’s great!

Ouendan 2 (DS) – More of the same isn’t always a bad thing.

Diddy Kong Racing (DS) – I have to agree with illdog. I loved this, despite the unnecessary add-ons.

Phoenix Wright (DS) - Roll on Apollo Justice. I love this series.

Picross (DS) – Excellent puzzler, and a great version for DS.

Yoshi's Island DS (DS) - Better than I was expecting, this turned out to be pretty good

Taiko no Tatsujin DS (DS) – I really enjoyed this, as much as Ouendan/EBA.

Zelda Phantom Hourglass (DS) – Despite some gripes, I still love this game. Yet to finish it, though.

PSP Slim & Lite (PSP) - It feels good! The Everybody’s Golf player just got more comfortable.

R4 DS & M3 Perfect Lite (DS/GBmicro) – For legit reasons. No, really. They have really improved my portable gaming. Having most of my collection on one cart is bliss for me. Especially my GBA games in the GBmicro, that goes everywhere with me. I love it so much I ordered a new micro!

NGamer – The enthusiasm this magazine exudes is amazing. Greener is a legend.

DS-WiiFi – Aww come on, it had to be in the list! Here’s to another year. :)

Worst

Eledees (Wii) - I really didn’t enjoy this, admittedly I didn’t play much of it because I got bored. So repetitive.

SMB Banana Blitz / Rayman Raving Rabbids (Wii) – Technically last year, but both were a bit crap. SMB moreso.

Ninty stopping the Fwiiloader from working – forcing me to sell my import GC games as I don’t want another console set up.

Not a great deal of DS games that I’ve been mega interested in, and not a lot on the horizon.

Where's NSMB2?

*losing the shoutbox :(

BEST

gotta be buying a 360 to be honest,haven't really looked back since

the sheer awesomeness of portal.goty for me,just amazing

discovering online multiplayer for the first time (halo 3) and then getting riduculously involved in it (cod4)

halo 3's theatre mode

my assassins creed subscription copy finally turning up (ok not really landmark but i was starting to get annoyed)

puzzle quest for sucking up hours of my life (and making me dream about grid based puzzles)

WORST

buying the orange box and realising that just becuase half life 2 is a very highly rated game doesn't mean i'm gonna like it :(

the flood,again,nearly ruining another halo game for me (damn you level 8)

finally losing patience with oblivion after about 25 hours when yet another quest asked me to travel to the opposite side of the map,sit through an innorfinately long loading time to speak to someone about their missing frog.

dreaming about grid based puzzles!!

My favourite gaming moments have been mostly on the 360 i believe.

Forza 2 is such a good racer - so much better than Granny Turismunds.

CoD 4 - Perfection in a shooter.

My fave PC games were Crysis and ET: Quake Wars. Divine.

There's not been a great deal of DS action this year, no massive possitives anyway - Final Fantasy 3 and Zelda: PH were both dissapointing, Zelda less so than FF3.

The Wii has had quite a slow year for games, the VC has been helping to keep its head above water, but the lack of HD support for the older VC releases leaves a sour taste in ones mouth. Although Mario Galaxy, Metroid 3 and RE: Umbrella Chronicles have shined through like the gems they are.

My worst moments of the year have to go to Assassins Creed and Bioshock, despite them both being good games in theyre own right they both suffered from over hyping. They were both touted to be genre changing messiah's, but both ended up being either repetitive or "quite good".

word.