passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Super Mario Galaxy

Hendo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on how much youre into your contra, hendo. some people find relatively shallow 2d games a bit outdated these days, and this one is fucking hard. like oldskool hard, 'werent games unfair back then' hard. for me the contra(probotector) series is like mario, i can go back and play them anytime and they still rock. the formula works that well and they nailed it with the first one. and this is certainly a worthy successor. it cant compete with metroid prime 3 and galaxy but it can easily compete with the best on the ds this year for me

Hendo wrote:

Cheers, Ben. :P

Not really Galaxy related as such, but thought you might be interested in a Miyamoto interview and a Charles Martinet interview/video.

Classic bit of Nintendo history there Hendo thank good bed time reading :P

Miyamoto wrote:

When we released Donkey Kong, the character was originally just called Jumpman, but what we found out was that the people had started to call him Mario. And the reason for that was that the character design apparently resembled the landlord of the warehouse that Nintendo of America was using and his name happened to be Mario.

Heh I'd heard that fabled story before, glad it turned out to be true...

now wheres the kid I went school with who bet me his lunch money that Mario was called that because "of some programmers favorite singing dude" that lunch money + interest = x360 :)

illdog wrote:

Not to stray off topic too much but is (Contra IV)really that good?

TopGunKnacker wrote:

it depends on how much youre into your contra, hendo.

:blink:

Back on topic, i finished this at 6:50am this morning. Must admit I found the final battle pretty easy, did everyone else?

There is no way im done with this game, what a treat to spend the Christmas month looking for the remaining stars.

The only thing I wanted to do that this game didnt offer is get my teeth stuck into a nice big Mario 64/Sunshine type level. I know the very concept of the whole Galaxy game is levels in bite size, but I just wanted to run around and explore a vast open plane with signature Mario plush greenery and blue skies and little pink bomb-oms talkin shit. Not at all a critisicm, just a personal ad.

I agree with you Gill, about wanting to play a mario 64 esque level with the updated graphics and maybe one or two pretty cool new physics bits. There are one or two levels on Galaxy that are big enough to give a similar feeling but its not quite what i wanted to make it THE best ever game evorrr.

I think that they had their shiny new 'floating in space' setting and they thought that theyd get the most out of it, perhaps the next game will combine the larger levels of sunshine/64 with one or two elements of moonwalking jiggery.

illdog wrote:

illdog wrote:
Not to stray off topic too much but is (Contra IV)really that good?

TopGunKnacker wrote:

it depends on how much youre into your contra, hendo.

:blink:

oops sorry ill. pretend i said your name, it still all applies :)

and i know what you mean hendo :lol: , it harkens back to the 2d games linearity which is great, but i did miss having a tall tall mountain to explore and plunder

• 1 month later...

first rule of gaming: without needing any recommendation, buy every 'main' entry into the mario franchise. thats every fully fledged mario platforming adventure, theyre always superb games, some nigh-on-if-not perfect, theyve always set the standard and epitomise gaming excellence.

Guest irvine

hi i'am on the 1st freezeflame level and am stuck i cant find the star to move on from here, i have got up on the two platforms jumped upside down, collected the extra life behind the big stone wall at the end ,via climing the wall and collecting musical notes,and 1 then just seem to be going back on myself, 1 end up just jumping into the lava,find anywhere else to go to look for star please help

Irvine? Related to Tim and Alex? If not don't worry, I know a few Irvines.

Not sure if this is the level you're stuck on but from Gamefaqs the first level of FreezeFlame:

Once you are at the bottom of the slide, you will be at a lake. If you stay in

the cold water for too long, you will take damage, so stay out of the water.

Start heading across, until you get to a ? coin. Grab it to reveal an Ice

Flower. While you're here, take note of the stairs right in front of you.

You're going there next. Grab the Ice Flower, which allows you to walk on

water, and head for those stairs. Use the sling star to go up to a slide.

As you can see there is a Super Mushroom and a 1-up here. Try to grab them

both, but remember that you can always come back here. Grab the Ice Flower

again, and run over to the platform with the fountains. Jump up the fountains,

and, if you have time, jump up the second set for a 1-up. Keep moving along

the platforms, not getting pushed in the the massive stone faces. Once you

reach the Ice Flower, grab it, jump up on the stone faces, into the sling star,

and up the pair of fountains. Yeah, that thing is Baron Brrr. There is an

Ice Flower to your left. Grab it, then run over to the baron, wall jump up,

and spin him. He may try to knock you off with a shockwave, just jump over

that. You need to have the Ice Flower to spin him; he will be too cold if you

don't. Once you spin him, you will need to spin him one more time to damage

him. Three hits will take care of this guy. Go ahead and get your star.

• 2 months later...

I've only just got this game last eek. IT'S ACE! I found the controls a little tricky at first but after the first 10 minutes of play it become second nature. Everything looks so lush, shiny and colourful. The worlds them selves are really well though out. I love it to bits! Even the missus has started to play it.

If there is anyone out there who hasn;t got it yet, BUY IT NOW!

:P

• 4 weeks later...

I had another little go on this on the weekend whilst waiting for a few 360 demos to download, and I got straight back into this, apart from when i lost loads of lives on one of the stupid single star galaxy levels (I did of course spank that level with my final life left).

More of this please Nintendo, Id like another mario platforming game for the wii, although its more likely to be out for the Wii2

• 9 months later...