passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Demo Thread

DANGERMAN

Just played the Killzone demo, it's good but damn is it short. The thing that leapt out pretty quick though, and it seems to be a trend rather than just a criticism of Killzone, is that every fight you get into you can see the cover dotted around. That probably sounds stupid, and it was only at the end of the demo I noticed it. You have to offer cover while your mate hacks a door, but before he even said that I could tell I was about to get into a gun fight as there were metal plates on the walkway to hide behind. Then as you leave that area and the demo ends, you see (for a brief second) the next area which has lots of metal boxes and stuff all nicely laid out, which I'm going to taka a wild stab in the dark means theres another fight on the way.

Stupid criticism for any action game I know, but it was very transparent which could kill the atmosphere.

That said i enjoyed it and am now more interested in buying the game than I was. The graphics didnt blow me away like I was hoping but I suspect that's more because of the drabness of them rather than them not being good (i.e. lots of nice sunny cinematic shots and I'd be more excited). There was some clipping though which i wasn't expecting, but the good kind where I could see an enemy moving position because his knee was sticking through his cover

just played the killzone demo too, enjoyed it, cover system works fine, separate button for grenades which is nice, main problem for me was the pad, they've definitely improved the analogue sticks since the ps2 but there's still quite a big deadzone which made aiming tricky imo, probably get used to it though and i can't see it bothering me too much in single player but i fancied trying out the multiplayer and imagine anything which hampers aiming will get pretty annoying for that. agree with ben on the graphics, think i was expecting too much as it seems massively hyped, but it still looks really nice.

also tried the halo wars demo and quite enjoyed it, was expecting to hate it so that was a nice surprise, although i might just have liked it because you can order warthogs to splatter the enemy.

but there's still quite a big deadzone which made aiming tricky imo

Yeah, yeah PlayStation pad has always had a deadzone that makes things seem very floaty at times. Adjusting the settings does help, but it still doesn't feel as nice as using a 360 pad. I also don't like the way the analogue sticks are so close to each other, but this has always been a trait since the PS pad first got the sticks.

I really liked the demo. It is very short, but it left me wanting more which is what a demo should do.

HAWX Demo to Appear Exclusively on XBL This Wednesday

Written Monday, February 09, 2009 by Dan Webb

Microsoft today announced, via Xbox.com, that Ubisoft will release an exclusive demo of Tom Clancy's HAWX for gold users on the Xbox Live Marketplace this coming Wednesday, February 11 at 2:00 A.M. Pacific Time.

The demo will consist of two "heart pounding missions"; the first of which is Operation: Off Certificate which is a training level, designed to introduce you to "Assistance Off" mode and teach you some of the more extreme maneuvers. The second mission takes you in to Brazilian territory in Operation: Glass Hammer which takes place over Rio De Janeiro.

"The demo is co-op enabled for up to four players—jump in or jump out with ease. Gain experience points to unlock three real, licensed planes in the demo: a F-16A Fighting Falcon, a SU-35 Super Flanker, and an AV-8B Harrier II."

So Wednesday morning, check it out, only on the Xbox Live Marketplace.

HAWX Demo to Appear Exclusively on XBL This Wednesday

Written Monday, February 09, 2009 by Dan Webb

Microsoft today announced, via Xbox.com, that Ubisoft will release an exclusive demo of Tom Clancy's HAWX for gold users on the Xbox Live Marketplace this coming Wednesday, February 11 at 2:00 A.M. Pacific Time.

Only exclusive for a day, it seems. It's hitting the PSN on Feb 12th.

There is gonna be a Japanese demo of Yakuza 3 on the JP PSN tomorrow - pretty big 1.22GB - I might try creating a JP account and download it. I am away for the weekend so I will set it off before I go - might be finished when I get back :)

• 2 weeks later...

Played the Resident Evil 5 demo last night, and really didnt enjoy it. There were parts of it that had potential, and it looks great....but the controls arent great (although im sure they can be changed) and it just feels like a chore to play, the characters movement feels overly combersome, every movement feels laboured and it just gets in the way of play. I found myself thinking 'what is the challenge here' because if you put me in the game with Master chief or any other shooter character, then the zombies/humans whatever are the least threatening enemy ever - its just the fact that I cant move to shoot them, or turn to see them that makes them credible enemies...

Hopefully these are things that can be tweaked, but overall I didnt leave the demo wanting more, and 'fear that you cant forget'? - only if you mean the controls.

The three demos on the Marketplace are for Wheelman, WWE Legends and Wanted ... Wow, look at all those W's! What do the demos entail ... I'm glad you asked, cause I just looked:

Wheelman - The demo contains a "sample of the story mode, plus 2 out of 105 side missions" and weighs in at 1.31 GBs.

Wanted: Weapons of Fate - No idea ... but you get to curve bullets. Nuff' said. The demo comes in at 911.03 MBs and is available now.

WWE Legends - The WWE demo allows you to "play as Stone Cold Steve Austin and defeat The Rock in their historic WrestleMania XV match. A video package shows highlights of their legendary rivalry and you must complete objectives during the match to relive history. Also play as Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant with Bobby Heenan in an exhibition match in the WrestleMania III arena." The demo is 722.76 MBs.

Off to download...

Played through the Watchmen demo and it's pretty good but I'm not familiar enough with the franchise to drop 1600 points on it. Good brawler though.

Playing the Riddick game now and I'm thoroughly confused. I took over a drone, killed him to get me through a fan, took over another one and I really don't know what I'm doing. I do like the stealth kills though.

:lol:

It's very marmite isn't it?

My first impression was "urgh" as it looks pretty awful, very much like it's cheaply drawn and a PS2 graphics engine but in high res. The gameplay is ultra simplistic and laughably ridiculous (especially the bit where you spin your car 180 degrees round in slow motion, driving backwards, and shooting out at the people that are behind you) but I just had a laugh while playing it. A definite guilty pleasure game but I'll be on the look out for it for a good price.

I tried the trial for watchmen, and its not too bad, i quite like the special moves he does if u combo it well, Completed the trial but i can see it being very repetitive and i dnt exactly wna splash out 1600 pts on it.

Also tried Legends of Wrestling, i hate how they have changed the buttons from Smackdown Vs Raw 2009, Im sure alot of the buttons didnt do jack! I rather stick to Smackdown Vs Raw 2009