passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

hinn888

Thought I'd try and write a review on this, couldn't sleep last night. So here goes, sorry for my bad English, hope its not too bad.

Dragon-Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 2

I managed to Pick this up on thursday, with a little sweet talking to get it a day early. It was a toss up between this or Heatseaker (which i'll get in a week or so) I wanted this last week and was a bit pissed off they'd delayed it. I've been wanting to play a Dragon Ball game for ages, as Im a bit of a fan. I nearly got one of the older DBZ games on PS2 or the GC when they first came out, but was disappointed with the lack of free movement and bad split screen/camera implementation. So I've been waiting for a "good" Dragon Ball game to come along, and finally my prayers have been answered and this certainly doesn't disappoint. I've had my eye on this since I heard it was being ported from the PS2, and had high hopes from what I've read and the videos I've watched. My only worry was wether the controls, using the remote, would work or just feel tacked on, like so many PS2 conversions, but I'll get to that later.

So I put the disk into my Wii and was greeted with an onslaught of Dragon ball goodness, the opening intro movie shows all of the most famous DBZ characters whizzing about with their flaming bodies crashing together in an explosion of anime colour and magic. Like previous DBZ games its fully 3D fighter, in which you fight all over an expansive area. Battles taking place in the air, land and even under water and to the far reaches of space. Fights consist of up close and personnel bashes and all manner of projectile attacks, which gives this game a good blend of 'getting stuck in' or being sneaky and kicking your opponents arse from afar.

The action has the cartoon feel to it, and presentation is top notch with a great animated look. It incorporates everything from the cartoon with a roster of over 120 characters from all the series including DragonBall GT, so there's plenty of variety to choose from. I was happy to see that the game faithfully recreates the epic battles from the cartoon; you know the insane battles where half a city gets destroyed, ludicrous combo attacks or one of the many characters getting punched through a mountain, you can do it all here, and my god its fun.

There's lots of gameplay modes here to test your reflexes. The plot of the main Dragon adventure is huge, with all the main cartoon story lines present, from Cell Saga to freeza or the androids, there all here to play through, and linked with small movies (using the games engine) to help the story along. This main single player adventure had everything I wanted as a fan. You play a variety of characters from the legend that is Goko to the green skinned Piccolo. It also has RPG elements which is great. You can customize any of the characters and build up their strengths as you see fit. You do this buy collecting and buying various items. These are found around the maps or granted by winning matches, which you also get cash from. You can spend money in the shop to get a massive range of items. These items can also be customized, by fusing two or more together, which creates new items that aren't for sale, so the limit for customization is erm... well limitless. In addition to the main Story mode there's the usual 'Vs' mode called 'Dueling' in which you can thrash it out with a friend, or the Cpu (which can be rock hard if set to a high level) You can even watch the CPU kick his own arse! and recreate any Dragon Ball fantasy death match you like. The only draw back I found here was the lack of an online mode, which would of made this game even better than it already is. There's also a tournament mode in which you can play most of the tourneys found in the series, like 'Cell games' or the 'World Tournament. Some have different rules like Ring outs. Ultimate Battle Z if the other main mode, which has you take on the best in a ladder-style challenge, the higher rank you become the more skills you unlock. So there's plenty to do here, just completing all the Saga's in the main adventure mode will take long enough, and there's tons of unlockables to find too.

Controls

The big question is does it play well and do the controls work? The simple answer is Yes! It's "fairly" easy to pick up and play, but straight away you can see its got depth and it's gonna take some practice to master! Im not a huge fan of button bashing, and I love the depth and am a big fan of the StreetFighter games. So I was pleased to see that this wasn't a one trick pony, and had a huge depth and complexity in the combat system, maybe a bit too much in places. Fortunately it has a training mode which takes you though the basic movement/combat controls. This however could of been done better, as each lesson is separate and some of the explanations could of been written better (much like this review) I did find myself a bit confused at first shaking the wrong hand or pressing the wrong button, but thats mainly my fault for rushing through the training the first time I played. I went back through the training mode after playing my first proper match, in which my ass was handed to me on a plate. Sure enough without the distraction of my lad, I sat down and went through the training again and worked the controls out throughly, they worked pretty well, still at this point some of my combo's were a bit random, I wasn't In full control. At first It did have some confusing button presses for combo's. Example: Air combo's see you pressing a mix of A and B on the remote then shaking the nunchuck then pressing A and B again. I found this a bit strange, mainly as Im used to all attacks using the right hand, but now in the age of the remote/nunchuck our hands are separate. I think its gonna take some getting used too, much like using the remote for t he first time. As for the gesture moves these are only for the special attacks, most characters have 2 or more and an ultimate attack. These work nicely, and mainly involve pointing off screen then on, or moving the remote closer to the Tv. In which you recreate the movement of your character, much like doing the movement for Ken's classic 'Haddokken' I did find some times they were a bit random at first, but for the most part they worked well its just a matter of practice. Transformations are a simple button press too. With a little time spent learning the moves, which there's a list in the pause menu for every character, this is and will be a top notch beat 'em up. Most moves/combos are simple and once you get used to the remote/nunchuck system I think most people will find this easier to master than the likes of StreetFighter and Virtual Fighter. One option which Im glad they kept in, is you can use a Gamecube or Classic controller, so for those who can't get used to the new system or just prefer beat 'em ups to have 'normal button' controls there's something for them too, so everyones happy.

Verdict

I was really pleased to see this game was everything I wanted, from the storylines to the huge roster of characters and gameplay modes. There's plenty to keep you entertained just on the single-player mode alone, and even more fun beating a mate up over and over. Kicking them through a building has never been so satisfying. The graphic's are superb and do the cartoon series justice. The character models are spot on, the scenery is good looking and a lot of it is destructible and all the favorite areas are there. The Audio is excellent all the usual SFX are there Goko's Kamehameha is the shit! The music is good too, classic DBZ rock and ballads. The Controls for the most part work very well, with depth to explore and master this should keep any beat 'em up fan going for sometime. As I've now got to grips with it, Im scrapping like the best DBZ fighters, with no worries. As both control methods are here everybody should be able to get on with it.

As a fan of DBZ I am very happy with this outing as some of the past games have been flawed or just not up to recreating the cartoon series. They always lacked something which made you feel you just weren't fully able to play out those epic battles. Now Im please to say a game worthy of the DBZ license is here. If your a fan then its a must as I reckon its the most comprehensive DragonBall world there is, they've done a very good job. If your not a fan its still worth a look as there probably won't be many beat 'em ups on the Wii, and it'll probably be the best one for a while (maybe Mortal Kombat will knock it down a peg or two) Official Nintendo Mag gave it 84% and Ngamer gave the US import a 81% i'd say thats about right in my opinion, I was going to give it 8/10 but its a high 8. Im loving it so far, and most of you will too, so go grab yourself a copy and kick some arse! If you like Beat 'em ups this ones well worth the money. Nuff Said!

Ive only been playing around in the training mode so far but i've loved what ive played.

Like Moggymatt said, the control system is complex but well worth the time ive spent learning it so far. Just did my first KameHameHAAAA and i did a little bit of Wii at the same time.

At first it all seems very daunting. Pour example:

To do an arial attack combo, you have to perform a Rush attack (hammer the A button). Whilst performing said Rush attack, you hold up on the nunchuck and B on the Wiimote to launch your opponent into the air with a mighty kick. Immediately after launch you have to wave the nunchuck to launch after your airbourne opponent. Proper timming allows you to start hitting him in the air again (which is absolutely fantastic man!) with an airbourne Rush attack (hammer A). Finally, finish it all of with the B trigger to send your beaten foe flying to the ground.

It took time to get used too but its becoming second nature. Charging up with Z untill you burst with power, hold down the Z and B buttons, remote away from the screen and thrust it back forward and its KAMEHAMEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Yea! Its all very exhilarating. Leaves me with a smile on my face just like Excite Truck did. Thats becoming a trait on the Wii.

I got this a few days ago, and being a massive DBZ fan my unbiased opionion is that ITS BRILLIANT!

*ahem* I never got into the others Budokai's as i didnt own a PS2, and i felt cheated that the cube was always a game behind.

That aside this game has everything a DBZ fan could want. Also the controls are great to boot! It takes awhile to get used to, and during that time its incredibly frustrating - but when they sink in its so natural.

The game is addictive too, has that 'just one more go' appeal.

All in all a great addition to the Wii's library.

it doesnt actually, coz when kamehamaha-ing, if u do a proper hadouken like Ryu ur wii mote wud point out the screen, but it has to stay on, so i do it like u zoom in on red steel, back n forward, simple.

Got this on Monday under the praise of this site and had it in my hand thinking 'am I going to be wasting my money?'. As usualy the site came good, this is the best fighter ive played. Im not really a fan of the series, I dont hate it ive just not seen it. The story mode is good fun along with levelling up. Once you get the hang of it then you can really excel its just getting the hang of the controls.

This is another of what I call a 'weird controls' game, as opposed to say football which id imagine will use the control stick to run and then the wiimote to shoot. Im especially liking the different controls, and for those who are sceptical you can even play using the gamecube or classic controller.

• 1 month later...

Got this today, and so far it's pretty good. I've really not done much, I had a quick go of the adventure mode and beat the Dragonball version of Master Roshi. Then I took on Raditz, he was much tougher and showed that I didnt really know what I was doing, but that didnt stop me finishing him with one of Piccolo's specials (I was hoping for a branch off story, but instead it followed the plot of the series - that piccolo loses)

I did the first round of training, and then worked out some stuff on my own against Yamcha in practice, then went on to Dueling. Then I quickly realised that I still didnt understand the blocking, dodging and countering system.

Back to training it is then, which is a bit of a shame, but it needs to be done. I might even be able to talk my mates into having a crack at this tonight

• 1 month later...

Dug this out last night as I was bored and its still great fun. Doing a Kamehameha and smashing someone through half a mountain is an awesome feeling, and performing a smash attack to knock someone to the other side of the battle field and then transforming behind them to smash them whilst they are in transit is a great touch too.

The levelling up really works too as I accidentaly went to an earlier level and destroyed some of the previously tough opponents. Wicked game, KAMEHAMEHAAA!