passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Diddy Kong Racing DS

Hendo

Hmm interesting.

I really need to sit down and figure out how the heck to get my M3 card working but am a bit of a techno douche and also only have a mac.

Maybe we could use jimbo to provide us with 'preview' write ups of games.

well if its a who plays it first competition i kicked all of your asses. WIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR.......

and i'm sticking to the opinion, it ain't no mario kart, the touch screen stuff will make you swear like a sailor.

looks like im at least a weeks worth of practice up on everyone else as well so i can give you a kicking on wifi as well:P (for maybe 10 mins anyway.)

Well i got mine today and put the actual cart in the machine. I've found my Friend Code and started a thread in Online. I notice it supports Rumble Pak, and you can also share your game data with others, locally.

I have only done a single race, buit it's not as slow as I've heard it would be. I'm so used to hopping, and firing with 'x' that it feels a bit strange to begin with. Something we'll all have to adjust to slightly after caning MKDS for so long, I'm sure.

It looks nice and colourful, and lots of options to play about with.

Alright! Mine arrived too an i had a quick squiz on the bog earlier.

After a garrish looking intro, you cut the shit and the game itself starts. U have to rub Taj's lamp now and out he pops, makes you do a couple of circular laps of a rubbish circuit, gives you a balloon for your effort and fucks off.

Then you get to race, and so far it feels just like it did on the 64 which is what I was looking for. Oh, except you have to spin a tyre on the touch screen with your left hand whilst keeping the accelerator down with your right hand to get a turbo start, thats gonna take some getting used too.

All i've done so far is Ancient Lake, but i really enjoyed it. Im still singing the bloody music now...

okay been on this for about an hour and a half now, so good time for first impressions. There were one or two issues with the AI not being up to scratch, which i agree with, however once you get past the first beginner section, where your hand is held then they get pretty clever pretty quick. I have already had to reply a level or two in order to come first and get the valuable balloon.

Graphically its way ahead of MK, I dont notice it not running as fast and the levels look great with much more detail then the majority of MKs.

I think that the majority of fun to be had in this game will come from the multiplayer element and I can see massive potential there. Hopefully we will get a game going pretty soon, but for now I think this is an awesome buy.

I gotta a couple of hours in myself now. I forgot how much there was to do in this game! Racing is fun and ive spent some coins pimpin up my race car into a lo-lo and my hovercraft into a dark finned beast!

The touch screen magic carpet balloon popping thing could be better but i dont hate it. But what i dont get is...

The bloody Boss Challenge touchy thing. I dont really get how to control it. What does that wheel in the bottom left corner do? Are u supposed to spin it to fill up your stylus? Im confused. And its thanks to that piece of crap that my losses have gone up to 5 now - boo.

Thats a new addition too, the game keeps a record of all sorts of nerdy stats for u to wank over, including win - loss versus the CPU. I like stuff like that, makes being WINNOR more important.

So far - loving it. :cheer:

I've been playing this at work in my breaks, for about an hour in all. I've got 12 balloons, 80 coins, and one of the trophy pieces. So far I am absolutely loving it. The speed is fine, graphics pretty darn good, and the gameplay fantastic. It's just like the N64 version, albeit not as muddy graphics, and has been brought bang up to date. The boost starts have been tacked on, and are not ideal, but they don't detract from the fun of the game. I'm in the ice area now, great stuff.

I'm, looking forward to taking this one online. :)

EDIT: Got 26 balloons now, 364 coins, and two parts of the trophy. I've modded each of my vehicles to the next spec and they're all painted red. I have done two of the touch challenges. The one you're on about ill, I just span it whenever it appeared on screen, dunno if it did much though lol. Dont the ice touch one too, which is different to the other one. I;ve found a scratchcard! Am at Sherbert Island now. :)

Whoever designed and included the touch challenges deserves to be fucked in the ear untill they bleed to death. I cant do the dinosuar one, keep driving off the edge, so much for a light lunchtime game.

Apart from that still enjoying the game, I think i will just not do the touch challenges in future.

Well, I've played for over an hour now and it's pretty good, on the whole.

When it does what I remember Diddy doing, it's brilliant - but those touch screen bits are absolute bobbins.

Sliding your stylus quickly and then jumping back onto normal button control? Rubbish.

As ill said, I don't hate the "pop the balloon" bits (at least in principle), but using the stylus to control where you're looking, pop the balloon and collect the coins just doesn't work. I end up moving my viewpoint when I want to get the balloon most times.

But.....

I can see this being a good meaty challenge with loads to do and hopefully some fun times ahead on multi. As I said, the rest of the actual game is great, I really don't see why they thought they had to put touch stuff in - it's a classic N64 game with online functions.......what more do you need?!

As for how far I am, I made a shitty little logo that roughly resembles a 'H', done the 3 "learn how to get round the main hub by racing the elephant" bits, and I've just got the first part of the trophy.

Anything else? Oh yeah - they changed Timber's voice! He's my boy! It was his voice that made me pick him in the first game.

:(

(he's still my boy tho)