passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Marvel Rivals

Maf

F2P PC only Overwatch style hero shooter with Marvel characters

I have no idea about this genre at all,  it the trailer makes it look kind of OK? I didn’t hate what I was looking at, at least

I think the character designs are pretty cool, there's some destructible elements on the maps, which Overwatch doesn't have. Hulk and Banner being some kind of stance character is interesting, especially as he's supposed to be a tank. 

But then again, it's free-to-play. So this will most likely be a money-grubbing mess.

In F2P MTX is more forgivable, though. They have to make money somehow. 

As long as the game is actual F2P, players can hop in whenever, and all the paid for stuff is cosmetic, should be Ok

Assuming the game is even fun to play, which not my game, I can’t tell 

3 hours ago, Maf said:

In F2P MTX is more forgivable, though. They have to make money somehow. 

It's still an awful business model for the end user in most cases though. I don't remember where I read it, but someone once said that they don't play f2p games because they're too expensive, and that kind of hits the nail on the head. While there certainly are a few positive exceptions, the usual way these things go is that they're designed like predatory FOMO machines first, and good games second. And my trust in Disney to put out something that doesn't have 'generate big money' as its primary mission statement is relatively low. But we'll see I guess.

Different developer, game, everything, etc. But the last F2P Marvel game was Marvel Snap which is excellent. So it's not impossible.

I think a bigger challenge for this game is selling a hero shooter in 2024 

Looks like Fortnite. No thanks. FTP games are ironically the easiest to ignore even if the barrier to entry is actually less than any other game.

Can’t stand them. 

It's not really like Fortnite though. Fortnite is a battle royale game with some building mechanics and also has no character classes to my knowledge.

This is a 6on6 arena shooter where every character has a unique set of abilities. Closer to Overwatch or Paladins.

Goes to show what I know about the popularity of hero shooters. The trailer on the Marvel YT channel alone has 1.4mil views in under 24 hours, and I’ve seen a lot of people on Twitter say they think the trailer is good and excited for it

I was trying to hedge my bets a little bit because I’ve never played a game in this genre. But I think the game looks quite good as well

The idea of Marvel characters running around shooting each other sounds dumb, but having seen it they’ve got my interest. Not saying it looks amazing or my most anticipated game or anything, but it looks kinda good