passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

DANGERMAN

Hmm, I don't even remember Fort condor being in Crisis Core at all, but it's well over a decade now. It was in Yuffie's DLC, and tbh it's a cool minigame. But in the DLC it was a deck building game, and they already have a deck building game here with QB, so they made it instead a series of really hard encounters with predefined decks

Tbh, I appreciate that there's this hard side-content in the game. I've only done two of them so far, game three defeated me. But I like having things to work towards and figure out that aren't necessarily always combat.

It's got some really cool fan service too, except

Spoiler

what happened to Barret's melanin levels?!?!?

17 minutes ago, mfnick said:

Is that the same as in Crisis Core Reunion

Haven't played the game so couldn't say...

@one-armed dwarf beating the forth one opens up the mini game on hard mode... yeah, fuck that.🤣

10 minutes ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Fort condor being in Crisis Core at all, but it's well over a decade now. It was in Yuffie's DLC, and tbh it's a cool minigame

I messed up, meant the Yuffie DLC. Having predefined decks actually sounds a lot more appealing to me. 

Just to say there's a fairly hefty difference between something being complete shite and not liking it... the game itself is fine... but it's fine not to like it too.🙂

I'm 26 hours in and finally ready to head to upper Junon.

To me, Queens Blood is absolutely awful. I don’t understand it, it doesn’t matter what I do, I don’t feel like I’m learning anything. I know I won’t get the Platinum trophy, as you have to finish the tournament. But I honestly couldn’t care less. 😄

On the other end of the scale... I'm two and a half hours in. It's a bit misleading when they say you can skip the Nibel flashback if you played the demo. You in fact play right up until the first scripted fight and can then skip to Sephiroth going mad in the Shinra Mansion basement. You still have to play out the rest of the flashback and obnoxious crawling segment. You basically skip the fighting and that's it? I expected, from the wording, you just cut to Kalm post-flashback. 

Anyway, So I played Queens Blood. It's no Tetra Master and I didn't really get what I was doing against the first opponent. But I did beat all three in Kalm (I actually beat the kid with the doll first time too). That's as far as I got with today's session. I'll likely be chipping away at this in (roughly) two hour chunks. I can't give more time to it right now. 

I'm in chapter 11 now, in the game I mean not filing for bankruptcy. I think at this point the open world stuff starts to be slightly disruptive. In the sense that you're hitting parts of the game which have solemn renditions from the main theme, kinda doom and gloom, and you turn a corner and spend a solid 30 minutes trying to wrangle a chocobo that's super power is

Spoiler

projectile pissing their way around the world

, and the music is all chirpy and lively. I think the point is that up until now this game feels like a much better version of Final Fantasy XV, where it feels like a bunch of friends on a road trip. It doesn't really have a 'story' in the traditional sense, particularly cause its story is a lump of narrative excised from the middle of FFVII and kinda shaped into a larger self-contained-but-still-contigious-with-part-1 story blob. But they manage to actually make that work really well, and the embellishments to the world, story and character backstories/interactions/motivations feel like very additive changes overall. But it could space out a bit better the more eccentric quest giver NPCs from the 'oh fuck, serious shit ahead' moments. I think for all its faults, FFXVI's sidequests felt more like they belonged within its world. But they were also just really boring, so I prefer this game's approach overall in spite of the jarring juxtapositions in tone

That said I'm surprised by some of the exploration gimmicks they come up with, in Cosmo Canyon especially. It was a bit frustrating to figure out, but Aerith's quest there was super nice. Took a long time to figure it out though, but that's all part of the game, figuring out the terrain (from Junon onwards anyway, nothing to figure out in Grasslands)

I beat full might Alexander with Cait Sith, Cloud and Red XIII last night, purely to figure out the synergy a bit better there, and now everyone has a summon materia (thanks to the save import from the first game, because I've only beaten Alex and Phoenix). Kept forgetting that Crescent Claw is a thing I should be using, but found with Red that if you want you can sacrifice some of his aggression to turn him into a healer with one of his unique moves which spends vengeance gauge on full party heals. Which is really interesting, how flexible some character roles seem to be. Cait Sith is pure random by design, he has a high luck stat but isn't up to much without the right crits and dice rolls, but that volatility makes him fun. I love his 'kill the moogle to dodge an attack' move, and you can put a bomb on the moogle and double down with the suicide strat if you want. I did a 2 party comp with him and Aerith in the arena, sure that it would be the worst comp posssible, but they have an amazing synergy skill (r1-triangle) at round start which is a very long line AOE which hits multiple targets, gave them both full ATB bars and let both of them just nuke the whole arena 

In terms of things which are improved from the original game, Cait Sith has to be the biggest one. He's much more fun in gameplay and in story, and his animations look so good

Probably next I will try a max might summon without Cloud in the party at all (actually thinking on above, Aerith and Cait Sith got to be in it)

edit

14 hours ago, Nag said:

Just to say there's a fairly hefty difference between something being complete shite and not liking it... the game itself is fine... but it's fine not to like it too.🙂

5xtDarmwsuR9sDRObyU.webp

😛 

Not really an update on game progress just something I find amusing in the game... anyone notice the absolute carnage that party members leave behind in built up areas, the first few hours of playing I'd be happily having a conversation with an NPC or something then hear a load of crashing coming from my rear speakers only to find Barrett and Tifa kicking chairs and tables all over the place😂... way to keep a low profile guys.

Chapter 11 has one of the worst dungeons ever, there will be so many C words when andy reaches it and I don't mean Cait Sith (although he is part of the problem). Hojo's lab in Remake is S-tier next to this. Genuine Dirge of Cerberus flashbacks

Chapter 12 appears to be the endgame, before it enters the real endgame. Where they unlock loads of new features, minigame upgrades, traversal options. My fave new thing are the Queen's Blood challenges, where they give you a predefined deck and have you work out puzzles and win a game from 2 or 4 moves or whatever. Teaches you a lot about other card's special properties, and they tend to be easy enough, and you win cool unique cards.

spoiler: card I won

Spoiler

xW6WXJs.png

now we gaming

PS: Mandragora is the best card. That little veggie has helped me out a ton

Oh dear, well I’m at Chapter 8 at the moment. So I’ll look forward to 11 then.

As good as this is, it’s definitely not on the same level as Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth for me, which remains my favourite game of the year.

I’ve tried Queens Blood a few more times, and despite buying a few more decks, I lose miserably without any real idea why. I’ve got a friend also playing this, he said it took him 45 minutes of losses, to win a QB match. And he enjoyed it.

If some people like the mode, fair enough. I just don’t get it, at all.

Seems like you lot are way in front of me... I'll start up later one game in at the Queens Blood tournament in Chapter 5.

There's no way I'm getting this clocked before Dragon's Dogma 2 arrives, I'm away Monday to Friday next week so it'll have to share time with the Arisen at some point afterwards. 

1 hour ago, one-armed dwarf said:

You know, when I saw your post I was going to say it was optional, but then I decided not to for the lolz. Glad you got into it though, now you will bow to the Blood Queen

Yeah, bet you were looking forward to me getting to that bloody part 😄

Two of the three opponents I destroyed on my first go, I’ve been buying up all the card boosters I can so far. The third opponent was a prick, and took me a few attempts.

I’m still not overly sure what I did to succeed, but to hell with it. It’s done. Onwards and upwards haha

As much as I enjoyed seeing Tifa spill out of her beachwear the last couple of chapters (5 and 6) overdid it a little bit in the mini game department, although the Red XIII Rocket League rip off was pretty fun.

Left off last night with Yuffie joining the gang and by the looks of the map I'll be heading out of Costa Del Sol in to the big wide world again... and after the break that's just what the game ordered.