passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

RoboCop Rogue City

mfnick

• mfnick changed the title to RoboCop Rogue City
  • 1 month later...

This game is weird. It’s like a walking simulator there’s been so little action the first 2 or so hours. It’s also part metroidvania with things you can’t gain access to the first time you’re there without the right upgrade. The opening area is largish and has the iconic hell petrol station.

The cut scenes can look janky, like the timing of the sound of his footsteps keep not quite being on time. Mostly though it looks and sounds good to great.

Remembering this was likely made on a low budget, for a fully 3D game using unreal engine 5 it is a perfectly serviceable fan service game. I’ll certainly be playing to the end. I want to upgrade everything and be absolutely unstoppable at dishing out parking tickets. 

25ce1c45-108c-42e6-99a8-806a84a308d5.png

I’ve just been robocop walking around the station to get officers to sign a get well card 😂 one was in the shower and needed his towel fetching. This doesn’t seem like a good use of budget 😂 Also had a lot more action parts and solved a murder.

Idk what’s going on with the gun upgrade mechanic here. I find it baffling. Basically avoid going to the red blobs?

c3053edd-52a3-464f-a37a-c843e63b4e98.png

• 2 weeks later...

I bloody loved this game. 

Way back on the PS3, this team made a Rambo game, an on rails, Virtua Cop style shooter. And it was bloody abysmal. Easily one of the worst games that year, and on the PS3 in general. 

When it transpired they were following that up with a Terminator game, my expectations were extremely low. But when I played it, I couldn’t have been more wrong. It was good. Bloody good, actually. Came as a complete surprise, but a very pleasant one (If you haven’t played it yet, do so, it’s great). 

So when they announced their next project was Robocop, that was an instant day one for me. Robocop 1 was the first 18 rated film I ever saw, was about 8 at the time. A lot of the adult references to drugs and prossys went over my head. But the dark humour, and ultra violence, now that i understood. 

The game is wisely set after 2, but before 3. 3 was shite, and the series has just got worse from there. Remember the TV show, where he wasn’t allowed to shoot people, so did shit like shooting an overhead lamp that knocked the criminal out. 

And as Nick said, it’s just so much fun. Shooting people in the balls. Grabbing them, then chucking them out a window, or at their wastes. Corpses ragdolling hilarious. It just put a massive smile on my face, from start to finish. You can pick up other weapons, but sod that, Robo’s signature gun is iconic, and has infinite ammo, When you eventually unlock the ability to turn off reloading for it, it’s basically God mode. And just as much fun. 

It’s not without its faults. You have the ability to put skill points into various aspects of Robocop, increasing his hacking skills, ability to unlock safes etc. Most of them are pretty pointless really. I was finding safes early on that I was nowhere near levelled up to open, but couldn’t get enough skill points to do it by that point in the game anyway. Then they pretty much stop appearing completely, making that skill redundant. 
You can level up your hacking ability, to be able to hijack enemy turrets. Nice idea, but they don’t even turn up until the last few levels anyway. Making that skill also redundant. 

You can use “mod chips” to upgrade your pistol, but you then have to slot specific bits into certain slots, to avoid unintentional penalties to your fire power. You can craft bits that give better stats. But the game does a poor job of explaining how to even do any of it, and I totally forgot about it, ignoring it for most of the game. 

Some of the later boss fights are a pain in the arse. But that’s possibly because id wasted too many skill points on hacking and safe cracking, and not enough on health/armour/slo mo recharge speed. One skill improves Robo’s bonuses gained in conversations. Why you’d want to do that, god only knows. It’s Robocop, not Downton Abbey. 

Oh, and the main villain is referred to by everyone, for the majority of the game as “The New Guy In Town”. Not “The Reaper”, or “Mr Stabby”, or even “Dave”. Nope, he’s “The New Guy In Town”. Truly, a name to strike fear in your heart.

So yeah, it’s great. I can’t wait to see what license they do next. They could do Rainbow for all I care. I’d buy that for a dollar.

• 2 weeks later...

They were shit but I don’t know, I just found something comforting about doing them. Found them unobtrusive enough. Nice and short and broke up the gameplay nicely. Most made me laugh with how stupid they were too. 

Have you done the actors side story yet? I genuinely enjoyed that little story. 

Tbf I'm only at the steel mill at the minute... I'm not ragging on the game, the fire fights are great, brutal and often hilarious.😂

Add me to the list of people that have been playing this and really enjoying it. I suppose if you had to point out a criticism it'd be that you don't get a lot of feedback that you're getting damaged. I also feel like my aim isn't what it should be, I think it's because the crosshair doesn't line up with the gun sights, and I'm using the latter 

Aside from that it's funny and it plays well, all you can ask for from a Robocop game 

The main issue I had with it, was the massive difficulty spike with the first boss. Up to that point I was pretty much unstoppable, but I died a few times to that fucker. Specifically when it fired a rocket barrage that took a significant amount of my health each time. 

In the end, the bastard got stuck between some pillars, and could no longer attack me. So I took the opportunity to repeatedly shoot it in the head, until it fucked off.

I didn't have to do it, I had another option 

I might be getting close to the end of this, it feels like I'm a level or two away from them revealing the full extent of the story. The who knows, it could be a while before it's properly wrapped up