passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Baldur’s Gate 3

radiofloyd

Took a break from the Underdark to go back above ground, currently exploring the Sunlit Wetlands. So far everything has been lower level so it’s been quite smooth sailing. 45 hours and counting.

My missus has starting playing BG3 on Xbox S and seems like the sound occasionally drops out every so often.

Is this a known issue that anyone else had experienced ?

I've had it occur when playing older BC games on Gamepass - but not with anything released specifically for S/X until now.

I’m playing on SX and not encountered anything like that. 
Just a FYI as well if you or the missus doesn’t know - the save bug is still present. Make sure you save then quit out of the game on the dashboard to try and prevent it.

Since my last post I’ve put a bit more time in. Don’t know whether I just went in with a different mindset or what but enjoyed it a lot more again. I still don’t understand the magic/ability side really. Shadowheart in particular seems fucking useless. But I want to romance her so fuck it I’ll deal. I also can’t ever get Astarion advantage stuff to work. However I seem to be getting on a lot better just relying on basic attacks. I did a lot more just exploration too and that seemed to help rather than mainlining it. Got a couple of new party members including a strong as fuck devil lady - love her. Also got a dog in my camp now which is a big win. 

Anyway after a bit of exploring I tried my luck at the Goblin camp and absolutely steamrolled them so I must be learning something as I haven’t levelled up since my last couple of attempts where I got annihilated. Just entered the Underdark now. 

Shadowheart is hard to work with cause her dice rolls seem really low. I found her pretty indispensable on some hard boss fights on tactician but it felt like I had to do a lot of setup to land her offensive spells which debuff enemies (like getting other allies to inflict disadvantage so that she could land with more success). So there's some very complicated and layered stuff you can explore, which I found really satisfying but also took a long time to learn.

I got as far as the Underdark, and did basically every other thing in chapter 1. She has some amazing abilities where you compel enemies to drop their sword (which you can pick up), or run away or just do stupid shit in general, which is ace. I think the game mechanics scale really well on higher difficulties, it's super rewarding to figure out

I found a cool alternative way to reach the Underdark. There’s a cave you can jump from (provided you drink a Potion of Feather Fall). This game is full of surprises.

5 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

cause her dice rolls seem really low.

I keep seeing this mentioned in the stats but apart from choices or the background ones while exploring I never see dice rolls. I’ve just assumed that’s an invisible one during attacks which decides whether it hits and how much damage? Is that correct? If so that is definitely an issue with her, the firebolt attack says 50% chance usually and between 1-9 damage. But it always seems to miss and when it does hit it’s usually below 5 damage. 

Yeah, but I think the thing with the firebolt is it's a 'cantrip', which means she doesn't need to rest to use it again. Albeit, this actually doesn't mean that much in BG3 as there's not a whole lot of downside to resting (in BG1, enemies would attack you while you rest randomly).

She is really just about support mostly. I think if you look at lots of her skills it's about increasing the odds for her allies (and herself as well, if she decides to go for direct damage). There's some really hard fights where I would have been lost without her. 

She also has that guidance thing which is great for social skill checks

wrt dice rolls, technically the game is always doing that (and all RPGs in general) when calculating the odds for things, regardless of visual. It's just a case of how well you can stack the odds in your favour. 

She's hard to get started with though I think. When it comes to spellcasters in DnD, they are a liability for a handful of levels until they become amazing later on. It's why I would never make my main class spell caster, it would be too annoying. It's like that with Gale as well I think, and if we're nominating people we would like to see horribly murdered for being inconvenient that's the dude I want to see crucified, for his annoying bullshit about eating your shoes and being all poisonous if he's ko-ed

Ah, that’s what Cantrip means! 
I’ve found her support stuff a bit rubbish too so far. Her heal hardly replenishes anything. One I picked was to create duplicates to confuse enemies but it always says there’s not enough room?! Motherfucker I’m in a big open forest how much room do I need?
I know it a me not understanding stuff issue but still frustrating. Need to experiment a bit more with her other abilities methinks. 

For healing I just chuck a potion at people's faces, I dunno I feel like spell slots on healing could be a waste but that might be also me not knowing enough. I moreso mean the things like increasing attack roles, decreasing rolls of enemies, making them run away like babies so that Lazael can slice them up with a claymore for several turns.

Saved me in the monastery it did

Also there's sub specialties of different classes if the above doesn't sound like an attractive gameplan. I don't know much about them mind, but I think there's 3 for the cleric (I think that's her class)

This game has that whole Elden Ring thing going on where I've bought the thing but I'm terrified of actually starting it...😂

Tbf I need to finish Cyberpunk first as I don't want two massive RPG's going at the same time but this'll definitely be a bite the bullet moment. 

So I was intending to play BG3 which my missus has started on her account (same console) but when I went to play it said it would delete her "quick resume" save - so noting the other potential save issues thought I'd better not do that !

Apparently you can only have 1 quick resume save per game per console - so I'm guessing BG3 will be a few months away for me now.

Secret tunnels and hideouts everywhere in this. Close to 55 hours now. I’m curious at what hour mark I’ll move on to Act 2! Well, I could right now, but I’m still exploring and doing new stuff.

I think I’ve done nearly everything in Act 1 bar a couple of battles. Although I’m sure there’s content I haven’t seen as I’ve explored most of the map with the same party members.

Off the top of my head the only things I have left to do are:

Spoiler

Deal with Nere in the Underdark and the Githyanki in the Risen Road.

I have initiated the Nere fight a couple of times (I can’t just stand by and let him kill all those innocent people) but it’s a pretty hard one as it pits you against about 20 level 5 enemies. I could massacre all of the Duergar and then fight him. But then I’m no better than him lol. The fight seems to be completely optional but I am a completionist…

I also have to activate the Adamantine Forge which I have all the stuff necessary to do.

Regardless, I’ll probably be moving on to Act 2 soon.

Made huge progress!

Spoiler

I beat Nere. I didn’t realize but there’s an NPC in the area who offers to help you fight Nere, which apparently would have made the fight a lot easier. I must have refused his offer at the time.  Either way, I took out all of the Duergar first (mass genocide, oops) and then fought Nere on his own. 

I also activated the Adamantine Forge and beat Grym (a boss fight you get drawn into when you activate the forge). It’s not really a boss fight though, it’s more of a (very simple) puzzle. Got some cool equipment.

All that brought my party to level 7!

Probably gonna start Act 2 tonight.

Triple post. I realized I jumped the gun on my previous post, I meant level 6, not level 7. I wonder if it’s possible to reach level 7 in Act 1?

Anyway, I wrapped up everything I had left to do, including:

Spoiler

The fight against the Githyanki in the Risen Road and the fight against the Spectator in the Underdark, that I almost forgot.

So I finally moved on to Act 2 after 60 hours. I chose the route through Grymforge so let’s see how this goes.

Man this Underdark area is a slog. I went to Gymforge too but couldn’t find a way out of it? One of my party members got killed in the night though so that was interesting at least. 

30+ hours in, reached act 3 and I’m done with it now. 

I’ve been enjoying my time with it for the most part but it never got it hooks in me properly. I can admire everything it’s doing but I can’t says I’ve loved anything about it. I still don’t understand the majority of what’s going on and even though I’m winning battles I still don’t understand what I’m doing half the time. & now I’ve reached act 3 it’s it’s become really overwhelming. There’s just a million little quests and I can’t be arsed anymore. I’ve got too many other games to play which will probably be more my style. 

Good game but not necessarily for me.