passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Street Fighter 6

Metroid66

Even though the entire community sneers at them I don't think there's anything wrong with using modern controls if you struggle with some of the motions. Personally I'm having serious issues pulling off double quarter-circles for Super Arts with the Xbox pad in this game and I can see how the game might be frustrating if even the more basic specials are difficult for someone.

Matter of fact I still come across Modern Controls people in Platinum, it's a surprisingly effective way of playing the grappler archetype in particular. At some point you'll hit a ceiling of course because you have less options (and do less damage) than an opponent using Classic Controls, but try to avoid putting a stigma on it and see if it works better for you. It's just a game at the end of the day.

I heard there was certain tech that only modern can use, and vice versa with classic. That there's merit to having a modern secondary for certain matchups

Can't remember what it was exactly, but at the very least playing modern would remove the cognitive overhead of pressing the buttons, as one of the things with games like this is when you are learning in the lower ranks (as I am) it can be a little like two players playing their own single player game as they try to get the inputs and links right. But if you remove this as a barrier, you can practice the neutral fundamentals more and analyse what your opponent is doing more easily. Then maybe you can practice classic later on, if you want

19 hours ago, mfnick said:

Really wish I’d bought this for Xbox now. Got a hankering for a fight stick but there are no reasonable options at all on PS5. Whereas there’s dozens on Xbox at all price ranges.

Really? I always thought there were dozens of Fight Sticks available on PS, there was on PS4 at least, I assume most will work with PS5? But maybe you'll need a DS4 to get some working, if I've still got it you can have my Mad Catz Arcade Alpha SFV edition or whatever it's called aslong as you cover the cost of P&P, they're pretty cheap elsewhere if not.

Many sticks/controllers only work with the ps4 version, and for it to work with PS5 the selection is much more limited. Think razer have a new leverless that works, but that's a lot of money I'd guess

It was very annoying with Strive and I had to use the ps4 version to fight maf/handsomedead. That will probably be an option with SF as well, but it's rubbish that it's so limited like that. I don't know why they have it like that

edit the razer controller, but it will probably cost half the price of a ps5 

https://press.razer.com/product-news/razer-kitsune-redefining-fighting-game-experiences-with-optical-precision/

Yea that’s the issue, they’re loads of PS4 ones but they won’t work on the PS5. Whereas the SX lets you use all the old ones too. & only PS5 ones I can see are mega money. I’m still only a casual fan so I don’t want that kind of outlay for it.

WRT the modern controls, I’ve absolutely not got a problem with them at all. But I’ve played SF games since 2 on the Mega Drive and I can’t rewire my brain for those controls. It just feels all kinds of wrong to me. Plus I like to have the strength options like LP dragon punch so I’m not fully leaving myself fully open if I miss. But I’m definitely having issues reliably pulling off moves and specials which is why I’m looking at fight sticks (or a Saturn style pad if one was available). But if I could have a hybrid of classic and modern that would be perfect. No idea how you’d do that though. 

Neither current gen D-Pad is good for fighters IMO - but the Dualsense has better placement for it just as I think the SX is better for stick placement which is why I went for the PS5 version. I don’t like the back triggers/L2 R2 for attacks either due to the travel but haven’t really got an alternative option. 

You've gots to be careful about throwing out those DPs in neutral like that

Spoiler

Day 4 and I'm feeling more confident with JP. My zoning decision making and flow is still pretty bad, but that's cause I'm kind of stuck in bad habits autopilot. When I find ppl who know how to deal with zoners better then I guess I'll get better as well.

bronze 4 now

edit bronze 5 and the fights are becoming more real now. No more running up flaming fists Kens at least, most matches 2-1 at best. So maybe a

plateau for a bit

edit 2, now I'm silver. Some people have footsies on bronze but a lot of them have one easily readable gimmick.

image.png

Not really. Couldn’t figure out how to even defend or fight back against some of them. 

Think the problem was going into Battle hub without any ranking* so it was just matching me with all sorts of skill levels well beyond what I’m capable of. Gone into ranked matches again & having a much better time. Winning as many as I’m losing. Still can’t be arsed to go into training proper though which is definitely harming me online.

*started again on Xbox - thought Capcom ID was supposed to mean I keep my progress? Not lost much like but still frustrating. 

There's a lot to like but the honeymoon phase is over for me. There's this odd skill ceiling in Platinum you run into where you're kind of screwed if you can't react to Drive Rush and/Drive Impact. It's nothing you can really train for, you either see it in time and counter or you don't and there's something about the visual effect that makes me not register DI in particular until it's almost connecting with my character. 

I'll admit that there's no character I feel comfortable with in the game as of yet though, so maybe one of the DLC fighters will win me over and try to work around this. Don't get me wrong, it's an enjoyable game and I keep playing but I'm not going to invest as much tie into as I did in the previous two. Could also be an age thing, I find myself losing focus rather quickly when playing for a while.

3 hours ago, mfnick said:

Still can’t be arsed to go into training proper though which is definitely harming me online.

I think I'll do 2 sessions online and then turn online off every third day and try to lab what I've learnt in the practice room. Haven't even had a go since Sunday. Effing real life!!

I did manage to see Punk win the first offline tournament. Now, there's a guy with the kind of reaction time you definitely can't learn.

I can obviously only speak to my scrub level as a struggling silver 1, but the thing with the DI stuff is it seems to push the pressure and neutral game into easily cancellable pokes. Lots of jab jab jab, maybe I do a fireball but I have DI ready to go. I've only managed to do this exactly once in a match against a highly predictable opponent, so how much of this is a mental stack that can easily integrate versus the real limitations of a mid thirties reaction speed I dunno yet. 

I'm trying to get into that mindset anyway. Even something as committal as a medium kick I'm thinking I only use as a punish in a situation where the other player's last attack has enough frames of recovery that I know my hit will connect. I don't know if this is the right approach but it seems to be the way it's trying to shift things. Maybe the heavier buttons have to be spaced out more on the edge of their hitbox to basically make it so an enemy DI only touches you with its latest active frames, giving you an earlier chance to do your own, maybe

I don't love the mechanic, even if you try to justify it like I just did it does mean that there's a wide pool of players who are just smashing each other with starburst flavoured punches. Drive rush is cool tho, seems to be basically PRC from Guilty Gear. Btw if ppl don't know, you can do it instantly as a kind of dash if you press forward forward + the drive rush input (whatever you set it to) but make it so the 2nd forward and DR is pushed in combination. 

I played against a friend earlier who's quite a bit below my rank. Asked him to just randomly Drive Impact during the matches so that I can practice it. He was using Cammy, who has one of the hardest-to-see DI animations in the game. After 11 matches and multiple DIs in every round, I managed to parry one and counter-DI another. That's two out of approximately 60-70. I really, absolutely, do not see it happening. And that's in matches where I was actively looking for it. In terms of startup it's not that fast, roughly the same as most overheads. Just a very cursed animation.

Drive rush is better balanced I think. It can make some aspects seem a bit ungabunga, but the meter requirements are better balanced and going nuts with it leaves you in burnout very quickly. It also requires a bit more dexterity to get anything out of it, unlike the crumple state from DI.

I got schooled by Mary, but I got a few decent digs in 🤕. And I have nearly 40 matches of platinum Manon v silver JP replay data to figure out stuff from.

Big legs == don't get stuck in the corner as JP, and mary learned my tendencies very quickly with the midscreen punishes he did. I spent most of the time trying to theorycraft what the defensive approach would be, what neutral pokes would work against Manon (seems only 3HP has decent reach, but requires ex 236MK to have oki I think, otherwise it's an unsafe knockdown for JP) and kept forgetting the drive impact conversion (it's heavy punch into OD fireball, not heavy fireball), but I think that's asking how to turn the losing condition into a winning one cause JP is meant to be the one in control in that matchup

Now to soothe my ego against silver rank players!

I got my first ranking, which strangely skipped iron and went straight to bronze. I've learnt there are some characters I have to study to make my gief effective. It's mainly the very fast moving ones like DJ and the little lass with headphones.

I also had some great matches with the new guy with the purple magic (fuck if I can remember these new character's names). Really intense, and I won 1 out of 4.

Had a lot of connection problems tonight though. Communication errors. But then I can only play for about an hour before my concentration goes. 

I might have got that bronze because I beat a bronze as an unranked player, if that's how it works. I dunno!

3 hours ago, Metroid66 said:

might have got that bronze because I beat a bronze as an unranked player, if that's how it works. I dunno!

The first 5-10 ranked fights are placement matches. It pits you against higher and higher ranked players if you keep winning then decides your starting rank from that. When I first played it I was Iron 3 or 4. When starting again on Xbox I went straight to Bronze 4. 

9 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

Now to soothe my ego against silver rank players!

I have no idea why the game put you in Silver, you played really well. The final score might have looked lopsided but a lot of rounds were rather close. I don't have much experience against JP, but I think the matchup is oddly balanced in the sense that he pulverises Manon at full screen and she does the same at close range. There's this specific spot between Manon's HK and MK where it seemed like JP couldn't do much either, but maybe you just didn't know the right button at that range.

I need to get better identifying his grab fireball. It's reactable but I'm rarely ready for it. Not sure if the OD version is reactable though, that's basically a silent move so you kind of have to jump when he flashes yellow, which brings its own problems in case he does something different.

Your one crippling weakness are anti-airs though, which you pointed out yourself. You went air-to-air two or three times, but ultimately I never had to second guess myself before committing to a jump. I don't think JP has a dedicated AA special but he should have some normals for the job.