passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Manga Thread

OCH

• 4 weeks later...

OPM26.jpg

Where to start with this one? In typical fashion, my opinion on this volume can be summed up with a gif:

umm-wait.gif

On the one hand, this is technically another "spinning the wheels" filler volume. The kind I have bemoaned this arc for in particular. Except, this is actually world building backstory. Interesting stuff too on the Heroes Association. It's funny because you assume, from the first few chapters, the structure of this world has been in place for a long time. But then you find this is all really recent. Taking place within a few years of the story. The fights are visually awesome as usual. Especially those involving Tornado. On the negative side, even though his story is progressing. I'm actually getting tired of seeing Garo now. His Hero Hunter arc should have been finished a while ago. Overall this was a step up (once again). Hopefully as we build to what must be the endgame of the Monster Association arc. The pace doesn't grind to a halt once more. 8.5/10

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2023 at 18:01, OCH said:

That announcement happened and it was basically to explain the way they are handling the handover of the manga currently

https://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?threads/summary-of-new-information-from-moris-interviews-about-volume-42.16510/#post-270913

There's an element of like, we know this isn't really the way a lot of fans hoped this continuation would turn out but it's all we could do, sort of thing. 

I've been reading the scanlations on some website and I think I'm gonna stop and just wait for hardback releases, cause it's mostly just a few pages of characters barely speaking to each other. It's kind of a summary with no embellishment 

The weirdest thing in that announcement is they briefly considered feeding the summary of the rest of the story to a language learning tool and generate the rest of Berserk via AI. So could have been way worse

• 1 month later...

The backlog is real

This time of year is very ..trying, work-wise. Most of my non-working hours are in various states of sleep. So, as the preorders keep coming in, I've amassed a bit of a backlog. 

Three volumes of JoJo (7-9)

Two volumes of Vinland Saga (3-4)

Three Junji Ito anthologies 

Hopefully a reading window will present itself sometime soon...🤦‍♂️

• 1 month later...

Twilight Princess manga box set releasing in fall 2024

GFWV0IIWgAA2tsg?format=jpg&name=small

Viz Media recently announced that the long-running manga adaptation of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess by Akira Himekawa is getting released as a box set in Fall 2024. According to a post on Viz Media’s X (formerly Twitter) account, the box set will include all 11 volumes and a collectible, double-sided poster.

The manga adaptation of Twilight Princess was published in Japan from 2016 to 2022, with the English translation releasing from March 2017 to April 2023. Like Akira Himekawa’s other manga adaptations of games in the Zelda franchise, the Twilight Princess manga adds in extra material that is not in the game. In many ways, the extra story moments enhance what was already provided in the game itself.

manga.jpg

Can't disagree with Number 1. Vagabond has been recommended to me for a while and it looks like the next JoJo to the one I'm currently reading is considered the best one?

Vagabond is more like Berserk than JoJo I'd say, tho I've only read a few volumes so far. It's also unfinished and never will be finished as the author is all in on doing (apparently amazing) manga about basketball. That said there's no shortage of adaptations about Miyamoto Musashi. There's a film trilogy with Toshiro Mifune that I might check out if I ever finish the manga. Funny enough he 'reprises' the role in the Netflix adaptation of Onimusha (his likeness that is, the actor died a very long time ago), tho I don't think that it's a similar take on that character lol

edit actually the basketball mangas are right there on the list, Slam Dunk and Real. 

9-16 I've never even heard of. Which is the point, I guess? The article I pulled this from, had a comment underneath asking where Dragon Ball and Naruto were on this list? The number of laughing emoji in response can not be understated. Oh and in contrast, not a single comment disagreed with Berserk being number one.

I've read all of Monster and the first few volumes of Vinland Saga. I'd have put Monster second to Berserk. So the others (2-4) must be very good to supplant it. Likewise, Slam Dunk to be ahead of VS.

4 hours ago, one-armed dwarf said:

It's also unfinished and never will be finished

Berserk all over again...😔

I wonder why One Piece is on there though if people sneer at the mention of Dragon Ball and Naruto. Isn't it kind of the same thing (shounen et al)?

There's some stuff here I never heard about either, but also some works I'm surprised aren't on there (NGE, Lone Wolf & Cub). 

I'm not overly familiar with One Piece. But it is weird to think it is regarded better than it's contemporaries by that much. I have heard it receives a lot of praise for the level of it's world building. So that might be a factor? Toriyama in contrast, forgets/invalidates more characters than he makes use of EG Launch, Yajirobe etc

Lone Wolf is a weird omission. I read that a while ago and it is a brilliant story. NGE, I haven't really bothered with. As mush as I do love robots. I actively disliked the mecha designs of that series. 

1 hour ago, Maryokutai said:

I wonder why One Piece is on there though if people sneer at the mention of Dragon Ball and Naruto. Isn't it kind of the same thing (shounen et al)?

There's some stuff here I never heard about either, but also some works I'm surprised aren't on there (NGE, Lone Wolf & Cub). 

Back when I read Naruto, the fan translations were pretty good, whereas the official one was a bit shit and kiddy. Maybe thats affected it's perception in the west 

I'm rather unfamiliar with the English translations as I read all three of those in my teens. Well, I do know about the travesty that are English DB character names, but that's about it. But back then I've always considered them sort of equal, the only differentiator being their setting. I haven't kept up though, maybe One Piece evolves further during some of its five million chapters.

19 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

maybe One Piece evolves further during some of its five million chapters.

That's the roadblock with One Piece. It's (ongoing) length. I can barely keep up with JoJo, as it is. Speaking of:

mangaz.jpg

^This seems surprisingly accurate😄

I realised I'd fallen a bit behind with my preorders. Since the demise of Book Depository. I've made the switch to ordering Manga exclusively through Forbidden Planet. Being forgetful as I am. I looked up how far behind I am with JoJo and OPM. Vol 27 & 28 of Saitama's adventures wasn't too bad. It looks like I might have to get a move on with Part 5 (vol's 7-9) of JoJo though. We are now five volumes into Part Six - Stone Ocean. Good thing I'm almost caught up with my book reading...

yeah i think i said the same about the anime of one piece, i like the idea of reading/watching it but it's too long.

the one in the bottom left of that grid is 20th century boys, been trying to read it, well read most of it about 6 months ago but stopped for some reason on the last book, just started again last week, starting on the second to last one to try and help remember what is going on, it's been mostly very good to be fair, im just not sure i'm cut out for reading stuff, i'm pretty slow getting round to it and forget what was going on, who everyone is etc. hopefully will get that last book finished soon-ish. maybe try something shorter next time.

7 hours ago, spatular said:

the one in the bottom left of that grid is 20th century boys

Oh! Now that name I've heard of. Nothing beyond the name, mind you.

First (finished) books of '24

'24.1.jpg

One from the backlog and a new arrival.

The Junji Ito book (based on a Japanese collection of urban legends) is ..ok. Not one of the strongest Ito books, to be honest. One of the short stories amounts to a jump scare on a telephone pole. Another is basically Inspector Gadget (with zero context). It's very middle of the road, without a real standout story to recommend. 4/10

OPM Vol. 27 is a protracted fight sequence. There is a couple of B-plots (one for Saitama, another for Garo) but the main thrust of this volume is a fight between Tornado and Psychos (who is basically aiming to become a planet ala end game Sephiroth). The fight looks fantastic as you would expect. But some of it is quite hard to follow. Some panels are a little too small and detailed to be understood. Although I think this would be offset seeing it in motion. At least we are finally back outside again! Hopefully this arc should be wrapping up within the next two volumes. Fingers crossed. 7/10