passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

Dragon's Dogma II ​🐉​

one-armed dwarf

I'm booking Friday off next week for this, well not approved yet but lets see. After FFVII, playing at 4k high fps will be like a revelation 🐲

Even just messing around with the character creator I was like 'omg, the hair is so silky'. The faces look really cool. That's uh, my Dragon's Dogma II impressions so far

Reviews are in and sounds like a good 'un

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/dragons-dogma-2-review/

https://www.rpgsite.net/review/15622-dragons-dogma-2-review

https://www.eurogamer.net/dragons-dogma-2-review

I'm sort of annoyed though that FFVII Rebirth ended up being way better than expected cause I don't feel ready for this one yet, despite taking Friday off to no-life it for the day. Damn

PC spec things, the TL:DR I'm seeing online is it needs a very powerful CPU, the GPU doesn't matter as much. Monsters can invade towns and massacre your framerate with all the NPC murdering they do, the inconsiderate cunts

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/dragons-dogma-2-performance-analysis/#section-1080p-performance

I will say, at this point I'm in the 'everything is a spoiler' camp with this game WRT discoverability and emergent gameplay, so I'm going to stop reading things and just look forward to my own discoveries (which I will also put in spoilers in the thread). But I found this anecdote on Pat's preview here really interesting. He's following a bard around, it's 5 minutes in, it's the most Gothic type shit I've heard

Looks like there are issues even on PC

I definitely want to play the game, but think I will wait for the results before picking a platform

But it might have other issues on PC besides CPU stuff. Maybe stutter or something

I will almost definitely get it on PC. But I will still wait now, just in case 

Here are some comparison videos here actually on all platforms

Xbox Series S: Dynamic 1440p/~35fps with temporal reconstruction and unlocked framerate

Xbox Series X: Dynamic 2160p/~40fps with temporal reconstruction and unlocked framerate

Playstation 5: Dynamic 2160p/~38fps with temporal reconstruction and unlocked framerate

PC: 2160p Max Settings with DLSS Balanced | RT ON |  | RTX 4080 | i9 12900K | 32GB DDR5 | SSD NVME

- Dragon's Dogma 2 has a single display mode on all 3 consoles.
- The game uses ray-Tracing for global illumination on PC, PS5 and XSX. Xbox Series S does not have ray-tracing. This setting does not affect shadows and reflections.
- Ray-tracing cannot be disabled on PS5/XSX.
- Load times may be faster on PC if you have an NVMe SDD. PS5 has a slight advantage over Xbox Series, although anecdotal in this section.
- Xbox Series S renders at 1440p with temporal reconstruction, while PS5 and XSX render at 2160p. PS5 has a slightly higher average resolution than XSX.
- All 3 console versions have unlocked framerate. It is not possible to lock it at 30fps.
- The framerate ranges between 30~45fps on all 3 platforms, although XSX has a slightly higher average than PS5 (about 2/3fps).
- Drawing distance is higher on PC, followed by PS5. Xbox S/X Series has some less shadow and vegetation detail in the distance.
- PS5 also has slightly more detailed shadows compared to XSX, especially in the distance.
- Xbox Series S/X shows slight banding on some surfaces (especially on some highly tessellated terrain).
- Reflections in all versions are SSR. Xbox Series S shows a slightly lower quality of reflections.
- On PC, Capcom wanted to confirm along with the delivery of keys that they are working to further optimize the game. Soon you will have a dedicated video of this version.

It sure about the RT. Gives it a slightly more of a natural look, but not really here or there.  

I'll reserve judgement on the performance stuff until the game is out, given it's hitting CPUs so hard and they are selling this as a very systemic, emergent game, you'd hope the hit to performance is at least balanced out by some really clever open world design. This is what next gen hardware is for after all

That said, I said that about Starfield and I'm not sure I would be so quick to defend my position on that one, lol

I’m torn because I’ve spent a lot of money this month already, and even on PC could probably do with waiting for a patch, but damn what I’ve seen of this is really selling me 

I might have to get it later. It’s £37 on CDkeys

Yeah, think I’m going to wait on this one

RE Micro-transactions - they’re charging to edit your character, extra lives, fast travel tokens, etc

Those are some puzzling mtx, cause one of the game's main appeal is its sense of friction and a lot of those mtx are designed to undo that. If you're paying to undo its fast travel it seems like you would miss out. The only one that annoys me personally is they're charging to change you appearance, but im fairly sure there will be a cheat table to do that at least.

Edit apparently you can redo characters without mtx

It is an extremely heavy game, and not all of that is justified by its game design I'd say. There's stuff going on with NPC state management, their disposition towards you, whether they are alive or in a morgue, their daily routines. But it's not entirely clear that is the main reason the game seems so heavily chocked by CPU. DLSS also appears to not actually work, doesn't improve performance but does make the image quality a lot worse. So I'm playing native 4k, trying to set it to 'progressive' scan but it keeps switching back to interlaced. I don't know why

That said, personally these have been moreso annoyances than severe obstacles, but I'm playing on an ivory tower of a PC so I don't really feel I can give much of a recommendation one way or the other except literally just to maf cause our systems are just so similar. Other than some occasionally super disruptive frame pacing, which has happened maybe twice so far, I'm loving the game. I wish everyone could have a good experience but it's not possible currently cause is scales so poorly. 

I suppose I would say download the character creator on steam, make your arisen and pawn, and then maybe try to see how much of the full game you can see within its 2 hour refund window. Though you're playing a dangerous game there wrt whether a refund will be honoured or not, I suspect many requests are being made with this game in particular

I’m super excited to play this. I think it looks great. But I’ll wait to see if they can get it to a better place first. It’s not like there’s a shortage of games to play.

In regards the Xbox version it's been fine, my TV has VRR though so maybe that's helping... you can tell the framerate changes in the main town but out and about in the open world it's seemed solid enough.