passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Fighting Game Thread

Maf

Oh, wow, the $1,000,000 Street Fighter tournament Capcom Cup is in like a week or so

https://sf.esports.capcom.com/ccx/en/

I’ve played a grand total of a 40 minutes of SF6, but I’ve watched a fair bit of it so understand the basics and recognise a few names. Isn’t it basically between MenaRD and Angrybird who are the best in the game right now?

I want Snake Eyez to go really far, though. Troll everyone with Zangief ha-ha

This tournament is going to be killer, I think

I don't remember any of the names but those are familiar enough that I think at least one of them was in an amazing semi-final (or final) playing as Luke and Blanka at evo last year.

SF6 is an excellent game you should play more of, it teaches you FG fundamentals way better than Strive does I think. Better teaching tools than any game I've played, though it's close between it and Tekken. I played JP in it, though as penance for picking a top tier I also play Kim, a low tier, because I'm honest like that

I keep meaning to play it. But there’s always something else to play.

My characters will be Chun Li/Cammy and Zangief. Zangief for low level fun. 

But I need time to actually play it 

• 2 weeks later...

This capcom cup is a hot mess. It's mainly low level matches featuring players no one's heard of, with everyone using about 3 characters between them. In the live chat it's being called the Capcom 'Luke' tournament.

Definitely should have balanced the game before they threw millions in prize money at this turkey.

Funny thing is for casual players it feels like every character can bring something to the table. But as soon as play gets on the higher levels it's just Luke, JP and Dee Jay.

And why are they still using the COVID format of regional qualifications? I could beat half these fuckers myself. No Tokido, Bonchan, Diago, Punk... the list of missing killers goes on and on.

I still think the game has got potential, but as it stands now this major event is ruined as a spectator eSport. 

That Saudi event was better last year. As an invitational there were some notable omissions, but everyone in it had a fair chance of placing.

JP received a nerf to his heavy punch, which is a 12 frame far reaching normal iirc, or something close to that. Was very oppressive before but now it has an extended low hurtbox, which also is active for a longer time, and so you can low profile CH that I guess

OD Amnesia, his 'parry' reversal, has massive scaling now. So that's going to be more used for setups and less for stupid damage combos. 

I think it's good they made those changes cause on the one hand he's this super interesting and expressive character, but there was no good reason to explore a lot of that depth with how powerful the basic gameplan is with him. Of course, you're still going to have a lot of beginner->middle level players complain about the fact that they have to fight a zoner, that will never change. 

Will be more interesting to see the larger patches later on, see if Kim becomes more of a threat. I watched some of this capcom cup but it's gotten even worse than Strive is for character diversity at the top level of the game. 

edit someone made a vid of what I just said

Daigo says what he thinks is the difference between high level players and top players

Years ago when I was struggling at college I was thinking about the different types of intelligence. My thinking is there’s 2 types. A person who reads the book and a person who wrote the book. Someone can read a book, extract what they need from it and repeat it when required. But then there’s the person who figured it all out on their own in the first place and wrote the book to begin with. There’s such a huge difference between someone who can memorise information, and someone who is given 2 different pieces of information and make new information out of it.

I feel like he’s saying the same thing here. You can memorise what you see a top level player do and copy the strats. But a truly top player understands why the strat, or sequence, or move is effective in the first place, and can think of new ways of applying it or new ideas for it. Where as the high level player will just wait for someone else to figure it out and copy them again

Fighting games or anything else. I stay struggling just to memorise things 😓

I get that. I spent hours memorising full move lists in MK: DA (for every character). The lesson I learned was that you don't need to know every move. You need to know strats and how to apply the right move at the right time. It's why I got so annoyed with my first (and only) foray into online fighting in MvC 3.

I wonder how many more years it’ll be before someone makes a fighting game specifically for old people. Where full 3 second animations are what you have to react to and all the moves look visually distinct so it’s easier on the eyes. 

Also double tap forward doesn’t make characters sprint, but they take a leisurely stroll towards each other so you both have time to size each other up and admire the background art/take headache tablets

Wake up DP’s have slower recovery on the person who got hit 1) to allow the attacker to do their next move and 2) for the person being hit to have time to catch up that they just got fucked up

Also you can macro TK shit because arthritis is a bitch

and you get 10 minutes between each fight for a chance to recover and a quick Power Nap

The game should be called SoulCatheter

I would play this game

He was such a good role model to defy some of the defeatist attitudes people can have when getting into fighting games. 'This is too hard, I can't do that' – and then you show them some dude who's playing one of the most technical SF characters by using his friggin' tongue. 

Sad that he passed away, but for someone born with such serious disabilities, I hope it was at least somewhat fulfilling to still find something he was good at and passionate about.

What exactly are you meant to do against a safe jump cross up? I’m just hitting buttons hoping they fuck it up at that point 

Play a character with a meterless reversal, find out what the option select is to block on one side and do the reversal on the other, if you block you're good. But if you DP then when the safe jump blocks the reversal, use meter to escape the DP punish with purple RC and then put them back under pressure

Of course, Millia can't do this, lmao.

(actually using RC to undo the DP might require specific timing, I'm not sure tho can't remember)