passwords have all been force reset. please recover password to reset ×
MFGamers

The Timed Exclusive Debate

DisturbedSwan

2 minutes ago, DANGERMAN said:

The below was posted in the Sony news thread, I thought it was interesting enough for its own thread, and so it clears the news thread for news

Sony: Exclusives games more important than ever.

Simon Rutter, PlayStation’s EVP for Europe, says that for Sony exclusive games are “hugely important. More important, I think, than they’ve ever been. Through their proximity to the system’s designers, PlayStation’s studios are able to really extract the most out of the system performance and that’s a really valuable attribute for a platform holder to have. [PlayStation] can rely on a studio network that can really show off the innovations that we’re trying to put across … when the exclusives are as powerful as Marvel’s Spider-Man or Horizon, they are important games that people want to play.”

A bit true and also a bit not, but why buy timed exclusivity then? If a game is allowed to come to other platforms later it can't be tailor-made for PS5, otherwise the porting process could be a nightmare. So maybe that money would be better invested in the development of proper exclusive games.

Nobody wins from timed exclusives. Actual exclusives (or sort of actual in the case of Death Stranding, Horizon etc) you'd hope to see devs really leverage the strengths of the system. Timed ones like FFVII remake you're just left waiting and wondering will the better version that can't be released yet fix all the issues that exist on the 'exclusive' one.

You wonder that. I don’t sit around wondering if the version later will be better. I just enjoy the game in front of me.

Fully exclusive is better than timed but timed still shows competitiveness on the platform holders part that I like to see. People that think timed exclusives are a punishment to them I think is a misguided sense of entitlement. It’s just business to try get people to buy one console over the other. And I’m all for that. Make them fight. 

This is a bit OT but with the specific example I cited there were parts where it looked like a PS3 game, apparently that could all be mitigated on better hardware. It's hard not to feel cheated in that specific instance, especially with such a highly anticipated title. It felt like something went slightly wrong with the game when they tried to optimise it for PS4, which is what bothers me that there may be a PC version just waiting for a deal to expire.

The technical problems on VII Remake were really shocking to me. FFXV was a much more technically competent game (aside from combat) imo, didn't feel like I needed to see it on PC. Death Stranding looks beautiful already, PC version is a bonus in that case

10 minutes ago, Maf said:

People that think timed exclusives are a punishment to them I think is a misguided sense of entitlement. 

Ii kind of is though. A timed exclusive is basically one company paying so that customers of the other company don't have access to a game for a set period of time. I usually end up with every system so I'm not too bothered by it on a personal level but it's just a very dumb thing to do and as consumers we gain absolutely nothing by it. I don't feel better or superior if I know the game I'm playing will only be available in 12 months on the competition's system. Nor do the little extras that will eventually be part of the "second" release make up for a month- or year-long wait.

It's just a very, very stupid business model that I hoped had died off after Matrick left Xbox but alas...

For the record, I'm talking about these paid-for contracts. I'm fully aware that some smaller studios can't afford to go multiplatform on day one and will sometimes finish one version first before moving to the next. Nothing wrong with that.

7 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

A timed exclusive is basically one company paying so that customers of the other company don't have access to a game for a set period of time.

Or it’s one company paying so that their customers get a game for a period of time, and hoping they boost their customer base. I don’t really know if it works, and I understand what you’re saying. A lot of the time PC gets a game early before consoles and it’s like I would like to play that. But I don’t feel punished by it. If I wanted access to those games that bad I would get a PC.

Also I get that’s not quite a 1:1 comparison but the end result is the same. 

I agree with @Maf.

Just a part of the business I’m afraid. I remember Phil Spencer saying a few years back he hates them and then Sega mysteriously forgot PS5 exists when they announced Yakuza: Like a Dragon ?

Just the way it is. Sony has a lot of them in the next generation, according to Imran Khan of Game Informer they’ve been cutting cheques everywhere.

28 minutes ago, DisturbedSwan said:

I remember Phil Spencer saying a few years back he hates them and then Sega mysteriously forgot PS5 exists when they announced Yakuza: Like a Dragon

It's hardly Spencer's fault that Sony doesn't have Smart Delivery. The translated game comes out at the end of the year and the Xbox One version will run on Series X. There's nothing here that implies Spencer is contradicting himself.

31 minutes ago, Maf said:

Or it’s one company paying so that their customers get a game for a period of time

And what does the customer gain from this? If it was a real exclusive I could at least expect some kind of polished product that really utilizes the hardware to its best. But if it's a timed exclusive, what is my benefit? I can hop on youtube and spam "HAHAHA" on the Xbox/PS5 channel because those guys can't play it yet? I really don't see the advantage for me/us.

I wouldn’t call it an advantage I would call it a benefit. If someone was lording their timed exclusive over someone else that would be sad. Likewise if someone felt annoyed by someone doing that it would also be sad. It’s not about advantages or disadvantages or getting something over on someone else, it’s just look at what I get to play. 

You’re not wrong and people will do that online but I think it’s just a state of mind/maturity. It isn’t “Look at how much cooler Xbox is because it has Tomb Raider”. It’s just “Look how cool it is that Xbox has Tomb Raider” for an older example. 

The main strength of any platform holder is their first party/exclusive line up. Nintendo built their whole business around it, the first games people point to on PS4 as being great are the unique and exclusives. Timed exclusives will not hold that same value because they are timed but they help bolster that reputation and portfolio in real terms for a limited time and in a hearts and minds/marketing way through association. And as a customer of that platform you get the cool benefit of playing that game now. 

11 minutes ago, Maf said:

And as a customer of that platform you get the cool benefit of playing that game now. 

Yeah, and you would also get this "benefit" if the game in question would be available now on multiple platforms

I could have said "how cool is it that Xbox has Tomb Raider" even if PS4 had had it on the same day. Makes no difference. 

41 minutes ago, Maryokutai said:

It's hardly Spencer's fault that Sony doesn't have Smart Delivery. The translated game comes out at the end of the year and the Xbox One version will run on Series X. There's nothing here that implies Spencer is contradicting himself.

You’re joking right? He said he hates timed exclusives then gets tmed exclusivity for Yakuza 7 on Xbox SX, that’s the contradiction right there my man.

PS consoles had ‘Smart Delivery’ before Philly S ever came on the scene, it’s called crossbuy ??‍♀️. The PS4 version of Yakuza 7 will work on PS5 ?

I still find it really hard to contort my mind around the idea of it as a 'benefit', and I own basically every platform (PC gets xbox games). 

If Sony are moneyhatting projects like Demon's Souls and whatever it's very different cause you might not see those games otherwise. Bayonetta 2 on Wii U, etc. I don't imagine the same applies to a lot of timed exclusives. If they weren't timed then maybe the Xbox and PS and PC guys could all play at the same time, which would be way cooler. Especially if cross play is a thing

Ray tracing on PS5 video by DF

SSR = screen space reflections. Something we have already in this gen, reflecting stuff that's in the view space. 

Combination of SSR and 'real' ray tracing in the Capcom game is pretty interesting

It’s a benefit to a PS owner if the timed exclusive comes on Playstation. If you have all platforms then it’s not really here or there (Although as someone who owns all platforms I still think it’s fine). If you don’t have a Playstation, though, it doesn’t mean you are robbed or at a disadvantage. Playstation paid for the timed exclusivity, as a PS owner you get the benefit of that PS exclusivity. You are not entitled to that game, no matter what game it is, just because you own an Xbox or a Nintendo, only Playstation is entitled to it because they paid for it, or whatever way around it is. If it comes out everywhere at the same time there is no additional benefit to any customer. That’s just standard procedure. 

I think timed exclusivity deals are usually just for the marketing or production money. I don’t believe it is development costs (But I don’t know this I just think that). 

14 minutes ago, Maf said:

It’s a benefit to a PS owner if the timed exclusive comes on Playstation. If you have all platforms then it’s not really here or there (Although as someone who owns all platforms I still think it’s fine). If you don’t have a Playstation, though, it doesn’t mean you are robbed or at a disadvantage. Playstation paid for the timed exclusivity, as a PS owner you get the benefit of that PS exclusivity. You are not entitled to that game, no matter what game it is, just because you own an Xbox or a Nintendo, only Playstation is entitled to it because they paid for it, or whatever way around it is. If it comes out everywhere at the same time there is no additional benefit to any customer. That’s just standard procedure. 

I think timed exclusivity deals are usually just for the marketing or production money. I don’t believe it is development costs (But I don’t know this I just think that). 

How is getting it when you would have got it anyway a benefit? 

No one is saying you're entitled to a game, but you're being made to wait if your platform is the one waiting, even if you've previously bought that series. The fans are literally the only ones being hurt by it (I don't mean literally) because the other console manufacturers can just get in a tit for tat exclusive war 

I don't see how you can perceive it as a benefit except in the sense that the 'other guys' might have bought the game away from your system first. But that still doesn't seem like much of a benefit, it just kinda sucks.

The real benefit to exclusives imo I'll say again is seeing the hardware get leveraged. Especially as we get into these new systems where a PS5 exclusive will make unique advantage of the SSD throughput, or Xbox will push the visual envelope a lot harder. If it's just business deals or marketing budget then it's all completely transparent and boring to someone like me, I have no interest in engaging in that side of it. 

I'll say again also, I really hope these new machines embrace cross play and a more agnostic party chat system. We seem to be heading that way a little bit anyway but would like to see more progress rather than the tit for tat exclusive war